The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

That MG F could be a bargain or it could be the worst mistake you've ever made.

After a few more miles the new tyres I had fitted have quietened down nicely and are feeling a bit less... waxy?... I can't think of a better word to describe how they felt initially.  I'll need to do the back ones soon though, I've definitely now got more grip at the front than the back, hardly surprising since I've got old mismatched tyres on the back end at the moment.

MGFs aren't worth a great deal at present but even £200 is cheap, especially so if it's got any sort of road legal type status.  Eligible for cheap classic insurance, bags of parts support and welcome pretty much anywhere as well as being super little cars by all accounts.  They can go a bit crumblybum steamypants, but the same is true of just about any mid-engined sports car.  If you like it and you want it and you have the pennies then go for it.  Even I probably would at that price.

Can anyone be arsed taking on a 324k mile Audi? I've tried to bodge the exhaust to get it running properly without spending any real money on it but it'll really want sorting properly (blows like fuck now)

Lost interest, wouldn't be looking for much over scrap for it

Anyone interested in the Visa before it goes on ebay? I'm waiting for a new front numberplate to arrive before I take a proper set of photos but you all know what it looks like. Nice unmolested car with very low miles, some history, clean and tidy and ready to go. Looking for £1500.

post-3924-0-70518900-1464037888_thumb.jpg

Can anyone be arsed taking on a 324k mile Audi? I've tried to bodge the exhaust to get it running properly without spending any real money on it but it'll really want sorting properly (blows like fuck now)

Lost interest, wouldn't be looking for much over scrap for it

I sold the Honda (135k miles, hole in manifold so loud as fuck) to an Eastern European guy last week for £260.

There's a buyer* for every shit old car.

*its not always Billy Cavcraft.

Anyone interested in the Visa before it goes on ebay? I'm waiting for a new front numberplate to arrive before I take a proper set of photos but you all know what it looks like. Nice unmolested car with very low miles, some history, clean and tidy and ready to go. Looking for £1500.

Very tempted... Can't now find original thread if you can point me in right direction. Where are you located?

Would like to get some double chevron action back in my life, and 2CVs and Amis now beyond reach.

Hate shifting tat to gumbay mongs though, last £150 car I sold was a right fuck on

The two of them turned up bang on time, asked a couple of questions and then took at the car at full asking without even sitting in it let alone driving it.

Sounds ok to me.

If the springs were shorter then they could fall out of place when the suspension is unloaded over bumps etc. What they normally seem to do is one tall/thin coil at the end to take up the gap, the weight of the car is enough to flatten that & get to the stiffer bit.

Sounds about right. Old Man is pretty thick, he must think that ride height and spring height are related, since the springs taken off the rear (from a FWD A4) were way longer than the -40mm springs, but that makes sense as they were completely wrong for the car and were only on there as a previous owner was a cheapskate.

place booked in holland for jcs in july

place booked in mulhouse for schlumpf

visits to matra peugeot and other places of tat

winging it along the way

then a visit to the place stayed when visa was stolen from francais :D

gatecrash RR chateau thing on way to it :lol:

then dorset then home

is it july yet

Got the tyre fitted to the Saab wheel this morning, then got the wheel back on the car this evening.  Much happier now that it isn't running on a bicycle tyre on the back any more.  I also swapped out the hopeless LED sidelight bulbs for some proper old fashioned filament bulbs, which have improved things no end.  It's now been well over a week since the car last went into limp mode too, so my cunning* fix appears to have worked.  I actually fixorated a modern diesel.  I know, I'm scared too.  :?

After a few more miles the new tyres I had fitted have quietened down nicely and are feeling a bit less... waxy?... I can't think of a better word to describe how they felt initially.  I'll need to do the back ones soon though, I've definitely now got more grip at the front than the back, hardly surprising since I've got old mismatched tyres on the back end at the moment.

you are not imagining it there is a "release agent" used which has to wear off and new tyres can feel absolutely shit, which is disappointing

Collecting this eBay win on Thursday - 16-foot Ifor tilt-bed trailer.  Bought because I was actually looking for a 10ft flat bed.  But this one has the big benefit of costing no more, but being able to ferry around shite - even dead shite thanks to the winch and big ramp. Looks like a good seller and a nice trailer, one owner, new tyres.

Once I have it, I'll be happy to offer a ride for anyone with dismal cars requiring moving in and around Fens/East Anglia for petrol money.

$_57.JPG