The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

£100 2nite m9?

brOken xbox n 'aRf empTy bucky boTTle?

Sadly it's a case of "do not want but also need" given it's currently my only functioning car out of the 4 I own, several of which haven't been road legal in years...

They've decided to do some road works of some description locally and the contraflow is really confusing so I missed my junction.  Just as well though because doubling back put a bit more time on my journey so that I got to see a SEAT Terra campervan (or a van with side windows, pretty sure it was a camper) go past the opposite way on a flatbed.  No pictures because driving, sadly, but it was a little moment of excitement.  Also learned that Camac tyres are rubbish when trying to set off from a mud-slicked junction (more housing development work nearby) and just result in making you look like a fanny by offering no traction when trying to join traffic.

I know this is Autoshite but bollocks to you, I like clean and shiny!

I’ve just spent the entire day cleaning the Mercury! Got started at about 08:30 and only just finished.

It’s had a good clean and cockpit shine etc inside, then a two bucket wash and dry off. Break for lunch then a cut back and polish/wax.

Doesn’t sound like much for a days work but it was serious graft I can assure you!

post-3771-0-24811400-1523637682_thumb.jpeg

post-3771-0-11362200-1523637706_thumb.jpeg

post-3771-0-46378300-1523637731_thumb.jpeg

post-3771-0-82170300-1523637754_thumb.jpeg

post-3771-0-29535100-1523637776_thumb.jpeg

Lovely!

I know this is Autoshite but bollocks to you, I like clean and shiny!

I’ve just spent the entire day cleaning the Mercury! Got started at about 08:30 and only just finished.

It’s had a good clean and cockpit shine etc inside, then a two bucket wash and dry off. Break for lunch then a cut back and polish/wax.

Doesn’t sound like much for a days work but it was serious graft I can assure you!

attachicon.gifCF8B4A59-0F5A-4F65-AAD3-7BB968033BAD.jpeg

attachicon.gifE429C46B-EA90-46A6-B8A8-9D6A083FBF1F.jpeg

attachicon.gif84333C76-CF8E-409E-8BA5-4B3CB5A98206.jpeg

attachicon.gif64F16A49-4504-480D-AA75-FC06460A9765.jpeg

attachicon.gif47929892-C737-45CB-B4F1-C71C4EDA2DDC.jpeg

Lovely!

You could eat your dinner off that!

Is that an oul folks' home in the background?

• Like 1

Top job, Dan! Genuinely don't think I could be bothered doing a car that size, and I've been known to go a bit "detailing world" in the past.

It is a bastard doing this car! It’s huge and takes forever to do.

It was a good day for it though, dry and reasonably warm but overcast. It wanted doing too, it looked clean but it’d got quite grubby from its winter lay up. I think it’s been about a year since it last got a coat of wax.

Bumper chrome will get a polish and wax tomorrow, I ran out of time today and my backs absolutely killing me now!

piece of shit black mini still has no brakes.

in desperation we have deposited it at a local garage. and they have had no more luck at getting a working brake pedal than we had.

its sat beached on their ramps now for the better part of a week, and is no where nearer working than when i took it down. and more importantly it seems that i don't like driving it.

i couldn't put my fingure on it, could it be the thin backed, and fixed seat, or the bloody din from it, or could it be the fact that when on th eroad it felt proper gormless. i'm used to the MPi tramlining like mad, but the black mini seemed to wander about like a drunken cow......

now it could be that is down to the enormous standatd steering wheel, or the narrow, and tiny little wheels, or it could be down to me been i  a proper strop with the little shit box, but the overall driving experience wasn't much fun.

so i'm now thinking of cutting my losses and get the little fucker sold. but i don't want to be dealing with tossers on fleabay or scumtree, so instead i'm thinking of sending it over the block in auction. a local firm does indeed regularly sell "classics" by auction, so i'm minded to take the inevitable haircut over it, and just get rid.

or burn it, with fire, both solutions work for me.

the orange mini now has new steadybar bushes, though it now has a rattle from we think the clutch thrust bearing, so i'm guessing sooner or later that little twat will need a clutch. 

i fuckin' HATE old shit bag cars!

You could eat your dinner off that!

Is that an oul folks' home in the background?

Ta!

Yeah, the Nightingale lodge is sheltered apartments for the elderly. They buy them and treat them like a private flat but there’s a dedicated warden on site for anything they need.

The other side is a church. You can see the little bell under the tiny roof thing on the end wall. They still ring it every Sunday and at Easter and Xmas.

Ta!

Yeah, the Nightingale lodge is sheltered apartments for the elderly. ....

Ah. Nightingale Lodge seems to be a popular name for sheltered accommodation / care homes.

When's the next trip out for the Mercury?

Ah. Nightingale Lodge seems to be a popular name for sheltered accommodation / care homes.

When's the next trip out for the Mercury?

I had hoped to have it out today but I think that was a bit optimistic!

I might get it out tomorrow if it’s nice, failing that it’ll probably be Wednesday for the Solent Shiters event.

• Like 2

Tyre pressures are all good, 29 all round. I'm not one to forego things like that!

The tyres are very recent, 2017 stamped on them and barely worn, )the size is moulded on to the tread and it hasn't even worn off yet - sub-1000 miles?), so wheel balancing seems unlikely but could well be worth a check.

The o/s front has a seemingly collapsed spring as evidenced by replacing the (also collapsed) dampers with new KYBs not causing a difference to the uneven front ride height, could that be relevant? Don't get why it'd pull left though if the offside is lower, unless the uneven load is messing with the diff and putting more torque on the o/s wheel? Purely thinking out loud there.

There's also some play in the steering around the centre which I think is a loose UJ.

Joints etc are all good as would have noticed/checked when replacing the dampers.

From how it's behaving in general I'm looking to the brakes, but it could be anything. 

I've ruled out the tracking through the super scientific method of a piece of string.

Typically the collapsed spring issue is the opposite problem to one I've had before, the rear of the A4 had fucked dampers and too-long springs to start with. Replacing the springs for correct height ones had the car knocking and banging all over the shop until new Bilsteins were sourced.

Is this a 4WS model? That would make this symptom a real challenge!

Rear suspension problems are just as likely to cause a car to pull to the left as front suspension trouble. If brakes were binding enough for you to feel it as steering pull then they would be getting very hot.

£441 and fozzie focus has years mot!! Glad it was cheap... looking forward to next day off to swap back box back to sportex one.. i didnt know they were replacing the rear box.. but hey ho..

Good old Civic is in for it's MOT tomorrow. Should be a straight through breeze* like it always is!

Shouldn't have even had any doubt. Passed first time with zero advisories and zilch prep before hand (except a new crash beam putting the rear bumpers back on). This is despite having a punt up the arse and sat around for a month. 45quid for the MOT and that's it.

I quite enjoyed driving it too. The reassuring rattle of a diesel and vibration of loose trim is comforting. Like sitting in your favourite old sofa. Not 100% sure I really want to get rid of it either.

TT parts have come into the garage now. All day job to fit them all, so won't be done until the week after next. The thermostat requires the alternator to be removed. Bloody VAG engineers.

Is this a 4WS model? That would make this symptom a real challenge!

Rear suspension problems are just as likely to cause a car to pull to the left as front suspension trouble. If brakes were binding enough for you to feel it as steering pull then they would be getting very hot.

It's just a 2-litre auto like mine was I think. I'd get the tracking checked as a first step. And check the tyres are actually round! I've got a wheel wobble on the Starlet, which has just had a set of new tyres fitted. I need to look into that, as it definitely isn't wheel balancing - for it does it at 20mph too...

It's just a 2-litre auto like mine was I think. I'd get the tracking checked as a first step. And check the tyres are actually round! I've got a wheel wobble on the Starlet, which has just had a set of new tyres fitted. I need to look into that, as it definitely isn't wheel balancing - for it does it at 20mph too...

Yeah it's a 2.0i auto, no 4WS.

I've bled the brakes today and greased all the caliper sliders, let's see if that makes a difference. The sliders were all virtually dry and the brake fluid was disgusting.

No play in any bushes or anything so it's a bit of a puzzle unless it's a fucked steering rack.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

post-7547-0-81180600-1523648570_thumb.jpg

I've been shot in the eye. It was a Wipac lamp, and because the replacement 'Autopals' look nothing like them with bulging, instead of flat lenses, I felt I had to replace both. The Indian made lamps are £19 a pair including H4 bulbs and postage. For this you expect lumps in the silvering, sealant bulging out around the lens which needs trimming before it'll fit into the holder, and a very short life. So far they've met all my expectations.

I think I'm going to swap the MGB and Civic round, so the Civic is up in the garage. The MGB MOT will expire in a week or two and I need to get it sorted. Also the Civic is insured for another day, so my last chance to do it.

Would be good to get the MGB out in the coming warmth too, so the moisture can bake off. I did put it away wet 2 weeks ago and I'm praying that's a short enough period to not have done any damage. :?

My wife has promised that the Civic will only be up in the garage for a maximum of a month before her parents take possession of it. This is important as I want another classic project to fill the drive and get working on in the warmer spring/summer months.

I'm just hoping that the MGB won't protest and mess around tomorrow as it's the only day I can move it.

Threaten to scrap it, then try bargaining, then give up.  It'll work perfectly fine once you've lost your temper and then it'll sit there doing the car equivalent of troll giggling at you.

Jaguar has its MOT today. Its gonna fail but how spectacularly is the question. Know it needs one wheel bearing and some welding at least and theres a clunk from the front suspension somewhere.

Been looking at some other cars in anticipation but can't see myself not repairing this unless its absolutely beyond help and whilst its a bit rotten, I don't think its a basket case yet.

Fingers crossed.