Meandering to get the Morris...

320touring

I'd be in tears if I was watching that lovely old crock trundle off to a new home. What superb patina it has. I'm sure you won't, but Do Not Paint!

My own Austin A40 Somerset is a similar condition, and also has the same 1489cc B series engine fitted. It's retired from front line service now, but I've done 28,000 miles in it since purchased in 2014, and although I've had plenty of breakdowns, it's all been simple stuff, and I carry tools and spares in the boot so I can usually get it going again if it 'fails to proceed'. Generally it's been very reliable, and they get better with regular use (plus it allows you to build up confidence in them).

post-3865-0-19960200-1514675762_thumb.jpg

I'd be in tears if I was watching that lovely old crock trundle off to a new home. What superb patina it has. I'm sure you won't, but Do Not Paint!

My own Austin A40 Somerset is a similar condition, and also has the same 1489cc B series engine fitted. It's retired from front line service now, but I've done 28,000 miles in it since purchased in 2014, and although I've had plenty of breakdowns, it's all been simple stuff, and I carry tools and spares in the boot so I can usually get it going again if it 'fails to proceed'. Generally it's been very reliable, and they get better with regular use (plus it allows you to build up confidence in them).

SAM_3540.JPG

Excellent, I'll add you to the 'List of people to prod for AKSHUL knowledge'

I have to say, buying a 1950s car that is already serviceable is a pretty safe motoring choice.

All the lemons, Friday cars and problematic ones are long since gone.

What's left are the good ones.

Provided you can read a manual and wield a spanner, all you ever have to worry about is regular maintenance and parts wearing out from old age now and then.  Look after an old car, and it will look after you.

Proof, if ever it were needed that moderns are both fucking ugly and fucking pointless! Something old, simple and cool are all anyone ever needs.

brilliant job lads, that's one awesome little car, and it's great to see it used as it is doing. I should take something from that myself really and use my old stuff much more than I do (it's just the road salt that makes my sphincter clench!).

Proof, if ever it were needed that moderns are both fucking ugly and fucking pointless! Something old, simple and cool are all anyone ever needs.

brilliant job lads, that's one awesome little car, and it's great to see it used as it is doing. I should take something from that myself really and use my old stuff much more than I do (it's just the road salt that makes my sphincter clench!).

Road salt should be naewhere near as much of a concern down by you than it will be here...

Road salt should be naewhere near as much of a concern down by you than it will be here...

It probably is much less down here but there's still shit loads of it. A few roads near home are actually white now there's that much salt on them. It's not needed here on all but the coldest of days. Yet they still throw the sodding stuff all over the place.

Last night it was significantly above freezing temp and it was pissing down too. Yet a grittier still went past my house! All it's going do is dissolve and run down the drains or into the ground. Pointless.

Yes, the Series II Oxford came in wooded Traveller form as did the Series III (with fluted bonnet and sensible dash arrangement).    These were all two door, similar in rear lines to the Minor Travellers with van-type rear doors.   The all-steel Traveller, like these, with 4 doors and the split tail-gate, was a Series on its own (Series IV) and came at the very end of pre-Farina Oxford production. 

No Cowley Travellers were made but the wood-framed version (not fully structural as on the Minor, by the way) was available as an Isis with the straight 6 but never updated to Series II Isis.

post-5367-0-30097300-1514744420_thumb.jpg 

Series II - note the flatter bonnet.   These had the open dash with a full body stretch to turn the wipers on....

Love the username, sums up my state of mind at the moment. Do you know where the Scottish one lives?

Thank You, it is me all over!

I think he is/was down the Borders as it was mostly the shows like Moffat and Selkirk we used to see him at.

The Yearbook at SVVF will tell you when those shows are on when it updates to 2018

https://www.svvf.org.uk/ 

I was sorely tempted by this car and only didn't shout "sold" when Squire Dawson mentioned selling as I have run out of undercover parking and this car deserves protection from the weather

(Oh and the Mad Wife in the Attic rightly pointed out that I really ought to get some more of the fleet working!)

bit off topic  but  , Nuffield ?  Mercrocker ...What was this we had when i was small ? Sitting there with me feet on the wing !.

T'was a van me dad put seats and windows in,  I think , A 40?   and I remember him saying the sills  were rotten so he bolted some planks along them. Don't worry it was hardwood ...so plenty strong enough  .. :roll:

post-17940-0-38519300-1514751787_thumb.jpg

We called her Lucy car... I always thought it was because it was shagged out and LOOSE  and rattled a lot... Just found this pic  , obviously it was the numberplate ..!!

post-17940-0-08702700-1514752350_thumb.jpg