Meandering to get the Morris...

320touring

As regular shiters no doubt already know, I am going to become custodian of Squire_Dawson's Morris Oxford on Saturday.

Thought I'd pop this up to reserve a space.

As befits such a fine steed, I have written a list and I have checked it twice.

post-17572-0-44934400-1514550349_thumb.jpg

Additionally, a fine band of hardy Shiters has been assembled to assist in the Collectioning- I reckon 5-6 will be expected to be involved throughout the day.

Insurance cover has been sorted and I'm now off to get some 20w50 oil.

Current weather situ

post-17572-0-47294100-1514550483_thumb.jpg

222 miles minimum in the Morris. I expect one of us will have covered 600 by the time the day is out..

Blimey, the Dolorescue was only 180-190ish, in a much more modern car and in more favourable weather conditions! God speed and do give me a shout should you need assistance in the Glasgow/borders area, I have all the usual things one needs to repair an old British car, Imperial tools, a thermos flask, a variety of tape, string, etc.

Essential for this journey:

- thick coat for the journey in the car

- additional thicker clothes (including shoes) for the side of the road

- Torch

- Snacks and Fluids

- Valid Breakdown cover

The rest can be dealt with the last one. Imo, until you learn the car & technology, you won't be fixing it by the side of the road.

Things you will need going forward:

- Imperial spanners

- Imperial sockets

- Imperial long sockets

- Imperial feeler gauge

- Mallet

- HBOL

Most of them should be obtainable from Halfords as they've got tool offers on atm. I've learnt you don't need many sizes for the majority of jobs. Especially compared to metric + torx + etc on more modern stuff.

Good luck and God Speed!

For encouraging lazy SU fuel pump. (Assuming it has such a device)

attachicon.gif

image.jpeg

Similar is ALWAYS in the toolkit!

Blimey, the Dolorescue was only 180-190ish, in a much more modern car and in more favourable weather conditions! God speed and do give me a shout should you need assistance in the Glasgow/borders area, I have all the usual things one needs to repair an old British car, Imperial tools, a thermos flask, a variety of tape, string, etc.

Thanks for the offer - I have plans to offset the lack of knowledge on my part - to be revealed tomorrow!

I'm really glad you bought this, so I didn't have to :mrgreen:

Looking forward to the epic collection thread !

I did it as a public service. You chaps can enjoy it vicariously via moi, whilst still retaining thy testicles.

I think if I had to take one tool it'd be a set of grips. Spanner for all sizes including rounded nuts, plenty of leverage points and are a pretty good hammer. They do it all.

I forgot can be used as a spoon if you need an emergency yoghurt/KP Choc dip.

Excellent advice - I have packed 2 so I can enjoy dairy snacks on the move..

Classic situation of I expect nowt to go wrong, but packing loads of tools helps me relax - I'm odd like that!

AKA Sod's Law.

You don't pack any tools, and it'll go horribly wrong with a tiny problem that could be sorted with basic tools.

OR

You pack a heap of tools, and it all goes swimmingly.

AKA Sod's Law.

You don't pack any tools, and it'll go horribly wrong with a tiny problem that could be sorted with basic tools.

OR

You pack a heap of tools, and it all goes swimmingly.

Wrong. This scenario follows Old British Car's Law.

You pack a heap of tools and the one thing you need will be the one thing that you won't have.