Dilemma.....Restore my 2001 Mercedes CLK 430 V8 or Buy Ford Focus ST 2.5t

0ldCh0d

Don't do either

You have a kid on the way and I can guarantee that if it is your first, whatever you think it's going to cost you, you have underestimated it by a factor of 3 - 4.

If it doesn't end in tears having to sell the ST or alternatively end in regret, kicking yourself for spending the money you by now desperately need on the Mercedes then I will eat my hat. 

The Mercedes will still be there in a year or two, and as said previously on here, will be worth a bob or two - it will be financially worthwhile to sort it then. if you do it now, then something else will go wrong with it by running it everyday, so it will eat into your profits! Also, if you're going to use it for family transport then you might as well run a garden rake down the side, jam a 20p in the cd slot, mash half a packet of cholcolate digestives down the back seats and be done!

Get a clapped out Accord and just accept that it's (for now) the way that things must be!

Listen to your Uncle Doubleyeller!

Happy New Year To Everyone.

This is the first time since I posted, that I have been able to get on. 

First off, thank you to everyone for their input on what they think should be done, I appreciate it. 

In answer to some points made, This is not my first child that is due, It is the first (& only it must be added) with Mrs OC, but not my first by any means.

I also forgot to say originally, that the Mercedes, once sorted out, will not be used as a Daily runabout as such, more weekend/holiday/good dry summer day use.

I am also aware that the Mercedes is not practical for a baby & buggy & associated items.

I have also been looking at Volvo T5's...The S40/V50 & V70's...but...as nice as they are.....It is a Focus ST Itch I have.

Some good points have been made about leave the Mercedes for longer & scratch the Focus ST itch.

Also, as pointed out, Focus ST's are at the bottom of their depreciation curve at the moment, So it would make sense to get one now before they are unaffordable to buy, Like 3 door sierra cosworths are now.... :shock:

I am still in two minds at the moment.

But anyway, as an update,

Today, I decided to go see if the Mercedes would wake up from it's 2 year hibernation.

I sacked off my broken W203 c220 cdi a few weeks ago now, but before I did, I took the Genuine Mercedes heavy duty Battery out of it. This proved a very good idea,

Took the battery up to the CLK, Dropped it in, connected it up & jumped in........Key in ignition, turned it &............It burst into life!!!  Well chuffed  :-D  ABS/BAS light on, but that doesn't worry me. It has stood for x2 years.

The deep sound of that V8 :-D ....  & Also surprisingly, all the tyres have stayed inflated, not even soft.

I then decided to see if it would move, put it into D & it did indeed move, no stuck on brakes.

I also took some pictures of it, please keep in mind, it has sat for 2 years, it is covered in dust/dirt & has some marks from things in the garage being put against it etc. & the bonnet is not shut right in the pictures.

post-20267-0-40380400-1514819486_thumb.jpg

post-20267-0-38844000-1514819513_thumb.jpg

post-20267-0-54268000-1514819622_thumb.jpg

post-20267-0-80049000-1514819712_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thought that I would update this thread......

Remember the urge for a focus ST?.....Well.....as a cheaper alternative.....I have since purchased.....A..........

Volvo....S60 T5, 2.4 Engine & it is Manual & it is not an ex plod car either.

I know it is nothing like a focus st, but... the vast majority of ST's that I looked at, had either had the utter shit ragged out of them, with no service history at all & had been messed about with, or were recorded as CAT C or D...Plus, quite a few of them had several previous owners, including one with x9 previous owners!!!.

Fuck that for a game of soldiers. 

So....The Volvo popped up, right spec, manual & priced so much cheaper than a focus st. Covered 143,000 odd miles, with decent service history, x3 previous owners.

Collection & pictures will be forthcoming during the coming week....

As for the Mercedes, Well......Because the Volvo was a saving money wise, compared to a focus, I am going to get the ball rolling on that as well, so watch this space. :-D