Sense has prevailed. Collection later.

Barry Cade

The festive period has been spent scrolling. and scrolling.and scrolling. Occaisionally checking train timetables, Google maps, then back to scrolling. I've been down a few garden paths, then some dead ends, then happened across a few wankers. The conclusion may come this afternoon before I forget the reason for this mission and purchase that SLK that has been shouting at me in the smoke filled,slightly drunken haze of the wee sma hours. I have fought against it and actually agreed to purchase something that ticks most of the boxes I started out with with on my virtual notepad.

AND IT'S FECKIN' BROWN :)

Best colour on the Avensis.

I had one of these for about 18 months. Very comfortable long distance and easy to live with.

Sadly the oil burning issue grew too great to ignore when it fucked the catalytic converter at about 120k. New owner had it fixed and coaxed it to 180k.

The mpg calculator does flatter it by about 2mpg and will only reset when you fill the tank.

Keep a keen eye on the oil every week (I made it a Sunday night task on mine) and always keep some in the car. 10w40 will slow it down a bit but I just used to buy Asda 5w30 and treat it as a rolling oil change.

Enjoy!

Difficult to get more sensible than that really.  Are you sure you're on the right forum? ;)

I'm tired of motor cars Eddy, and getting old. A Saturday in the scrappy's followed by a Sunday in the pishing rain under an "interesting" car holds a little less appeal than it used to,

Back to two wheels for enjoyment methinks.

Stop Press. EML came on today. I will ignore it.

I had ‘54 and ‘57 plate examples as company cars when I did the sales rep thing, both in diesel flavour. The 54 plate did OMGHG failure at just after 100,000 miles and as the Toyota warranty was up, but the company I was working for played up Merry hell threatening not to buy another Toyota and they repaired it under warranty.

They were both very good work horses and comfortable places to rack up the miles, enjoy your purchase Sir!...

Squire_Dawson, on 28 Dec 2017 - 7:32 PM, said:

Pop has a 2007 diesel estate, owned from new, as a workhorse. Don't think its given any trouble to speak of.

Sounds terribly unexciting. A bit like watching a The Waltons omnibus.

I, in contrast, did two 30 minute drives with the R16 yesterday to get to and fro a toy fair. On the way there, it had no tickover, it just died each time I came to a halt. This had completely cured itself on the way back, but I had to pull onto the hard shoulder twice to wiggle a fuse which is responsible for about everything.

I reckon I see more of these around than the 2009/10-onwards version. There's a 57-reg estate I've been seeing almost daily that I think has a classier look to it than my 10-reg Tourer.

Does the 1.8 petrol have any torque? The 1.6 in Mrs SL's Auris is somewhat deficient in that department.

50-ish MPG is considerably better than what my 2.0 diesel is apparently doing in this current cold weather.

In 15 years of doing this Roadside Patroling lark i don't think i have been out to a Yaris,Corolla,Rav4 or Avensis anymore than a handful of times with a serious failure.

Last one of these i went to was with an Alternator failure just before the Dartford crossing (popped a fresh battery on it and followed it to Southend) and that was probably two years back.

I can see exactly why you have bought this,you know what's good and what's bad and these are one of the best cars out there,even the diesel engined ones don't fuck about and drop into limp mode every ten min like just about every other brand.

I have got my eye out for a 2 litre (petrol or diesel) estate one as a replacement family car,they are even made in Blighty.

Fancy a next-gen 10-reg Tourer? I'm looking to change mine sometime in 2018.

(Sorry, dull modern car talk.)

If i was doing a sizable daily commute then i would be all ears.

But we only do about 3000 miles a year and thats 90% local trips so a DPF equiped diesel just wouldn't work out.