need help with this poxy crv - IT'S FIIIIIIXED !!

gm

(not very) short story : I bought a diesel crv in october, brought it home and left it on the drive until the civic sold (it didn't) so taxed and insured it on wednesday when the first flakes of snow began to fall. on thursday, I started it up to take it to a local garage to have winter tyres fitted and the barstard broke down on me.

I fannied about a bit and deduced that the fuel pump had gone. not sure how to proceed, I called my breakdown service who were pretty good. not having home start, I may have exaggerated how far from home I had broken down but the recovery guy was pretty cool about the whole situation, he was rewarded with a decent tip.

he did some tests and agreed about the fuel pump being knackered so asked me what I wanted to do next ? being new to the area, I wasn't sure where to take it but asked him to tow me to the place I'd used recently for the mot on the civic.

we dropped the crv off, the guys at the garage said they would check it out and call me the next day. initially, they called with scary prices for the fuel pump (£350 nongenuine, £1000+ honda), they would investigate and make sure it was definitely the pump at fault. I got a call today and the pump appears to check out ok, the problem being with whatever drives the pump off the camshafts.

having posted most of this on the grumpy thread, SiC suggested that item 4 here could be the culprit

the car is currently immobile, a couple of miles away, in a garage, I'm probably looking at a bill for a few hours labour for removing the fuel pump, the garage aren't keen to carry on (they mostly do mot's, exhausts, tyres etc) and I'm fucked if I know what to do next....

suggestions please......

post-4462-0-13476900-1513638614_thumb.jpg

here's a pic of the ungrateful shit

post-4462-0-79558100-1513638713_thumb.png

thought Hondas were mega reliable ?

LOL

I’d say that’s worth fixing. Not the most valuable (bit of a bargain really!) but roomy, practical, drives well etc, it’s just a typical late ‘90s/early 2000s Honda. I had a go in one and was pleasantly surprised by it. Didn’t like the front seats though.

Bonus points if it’s auto for the not-quite-column shifter.

the car is currently immobile, a couple of miles away, in a garage, I'm probably looking at a bill for a few hours labour for removing the fuel pump, the garage aren't keen to carry on (they mostly do mot's, exhausts, tyres etc) and I'm fucked if I know what to do next....

I'd say your biggest problem is the garage you're car is at, I'm not bashing them as I've no idea they may be ace mechanics but I'd not take my CRV to a indy mot/ tyre garage for a mechanical issue. 

I'll be going in to see them this afternoon, my current plan is to get it towed home and I'll have a poke around over the hols. I do have a garage at home but it is currently occupied by the sorned mazda and the crv is probably too big to fit in it anyway.

from what I was as told, they took off the fuel pump and found the drive on the end of the camshaft to be loose. Manually turning the fuel pump produced pressure so it looks like the drive is at fault.

How difficult would it be to take the cam cover off if the injectors need to be removed ? I hear they have a reputation for sticking ?

I'd get them to put it all back together (properly) first. The fact that the pump is off could be making the drive loose.

Pretty certain the injectors need to come out for the cam cover to come off. On the civic they have a reputation of breaking.

I'd hope they'd checked the basics first before pulling the pump off - like fuel filter, fuel rail pressure sensor and pipe work.

I've been for a look and chat with the garage, it is this part which turns freely - the end of item 4 on the schematic above - that shouldn't move unless the exhaust cam turns. looks like the injectors need to come out and the cam cover off. I got a couple of leads on where to take it next but for now it can stay put - no point in spending more on getting it towed back to the house

post-4462-0-93251400-1513698395_thumb.jpg

If you push that bit in and try turning, does it turn? Just wondering if it's only loose because it's not pushing against the shaft the other side.

I wonder if the pumps are timed off the camshaft too. Hopefully our resident Honda expert will know more.

Maybe worth finding out how much would it be for it to be transported down there?

Pumps not timed other than possibly for balance ( the civic 1.7 is timed for balance but doesnt affect the running if its not) .

+1 on pushing in and checking that coupling. May just have been pulled out when the HP pump was removed.

That 1.7 Civic diesel was a bit of an abomination. I had one in a 3 door flavour. You could very much tell that engine was shoe-horned into the engine bay and never really designed to go in. I seem to remember just getting to the oil filter required moving a couple of coolant pipes, a loom and a fuse box!

Also a coolant pipe sprung a leak. Turned out that it was a Honda only part that was unique to the 3 door diesel (of which very few were made) with a couple of twists and turns in it. Despite being only 5 years old, Honda had to custom make one to suite and ship it over from Poland. Over a month that took.

That 1.7 Civic diesel was a bit of an abomination. I had one in a 3 door flavour. You could very much tell that engine was shoe-horned into the engine bay and never really designed to go in. I seem to remember just getting to the oil filter required moving a couple of coolant pipes, a loom and a fuse box!

Also a coolant pipe sprung a leak. Turned out that it was a Honda only part that was unique to the 3 door diesel (of which very few were made) with a couple of twists and turns in it. Despite being only 5 years old, Honda had to custom make one to suite and ship it over from Poland. Over a month that took.

Honda unique part?

No way?

Like that on one model in one engine range, you have to move the tooling because the head is cast differently to every other one?

Or that engines in the same run have totally different parts to ask the other ones?

Different parts for different countries?

Yes, they're a bloody nightmare to make!!!!

But I will say they're very well made, assembled to a very high standard, if a production part is even dropped on the floor it gets scrapped. The biggest issue Honda have is that they actually make very few of the engine parts themselves, they buy almost everything in hence struggle to maintain standards of quality IMO. In fact, it's at a point where they've had to place people in each of the suppliers factories to make sure that the parts are up to spec but to me, really this is more hassle than simply making the bits themselves and controlling it that way.

As for the op, if you can get me a few more details on that part, I'll see if it's still used in the current range but bear in mind they don't keep old parts anywhere due to just in time BOLLOX, however they don't make many diesels or know much about them so there's a good chance the latest model still uses the same set up.

• 2 weeks later...

right then - it's getting picked up tomorrow and transported to a garage in Edinburgh where a former Honda mechanic is going to get stuck in - he's done a few of these in the past, the shaft is apparently designed to break to protect the engine if the fuel pump puts too much load on the camshaft.

not going to be cheap though :(

Good idea to break except that to replace it will involve removing the cam cover. Which involves removing the injectors that often snap. Hopefully being an ex-Honda tech, he'll have both the tricks and proper tools to get them out.

Are you going new or second hand fuel pump?

Fingers crossed it won't be too bad.

he said that the injectors can be a pig, and that the suspect shaft is underneath the exhaust cam so a fair bit of work is involved. he sounds like the right man for the job though, I'll nip through to see him tomorrow afternoon once the car is delivered and see what he says.

I've just been down to see the garage where the car is presently stored and left payment for the recovery truck tomorrow. I asked what I owed them for the work they had done so far looking into the problem, I was astonished to be told "no charge for this one, you've got a big enough bill coming anyway"

With that gesture, they have secured all of my future tyre, exhaust and mot needs - what a nice bunch of chaps.

D&G Autocare

Unit 7 Etna Trade Centre,

Etna Road, Middlefield Ind Est,

Falkirk, FK2 9EQ

01324 227751

https://www.dandgautocare.co.uk/falkirk-garage/

I think I'll drop in a big box of biscuits / doughnuts next time I'm passing

Yay, I've worked for them... twice. At D&G Kirkcaldy, a good friend of mine there is an ex-Honda tech.Learned a lot from him! Not all the branches are just fast-fit though. Stick a good review on their web page, the lads get a pat on the back for good service.

• 2 weeks later...

right then, when I dropped the car off I said I wasn't in any hurry so left him to get on with it. not having heard anything for a couple of weeks, I gave him a call today - he'd been trying to phone me but had my number written down wrong :(

He fought long and hard with the injectors and got them all out without damage, fixed the pump drive, put everything back together, fired her up and..... the pump drive failed again ! It turns out that my fuel pump is borked and also needs replaced - gah :(

He's sourcing a second hand one and will get it fitted this week. I'm not looking forward to this bill.