COLLECT OR NO COLLECT?

cms206

There is an alternative spelling, as demonstrated on this leather works in Walsall...

IMG_0242.JPG

boak.gif

Sadly no longer with us, being subject to an unexplained* and unfortunate* fire a few years ago.  Entirely coincidentally, the site has since been redeveloped...

image_update_1aec4421ac40cf07_1343104173

By the same people who redeveloped Edwards No.8 night club in Brum by any chance? It to met its end in an unfortunate fire soon after it was announced it was to be redeveloped

_42306308_firefour.jpg

So... what did I buy?

It's a "turquoise" 1996 850TDi automatic, allegedly to GLT spec which is far, far higher than the L-reg 850GLT I ran earlier in the year. It's got 145k on the clock, two previous owners and appears to have been registered E101 UNS from new - the original owner chopped in a 740GL for it which appears to have ended up as E805 CHS.

A quick run through of equipment shows that everything bar the traction control works, though that may be to do with needing a front ABS ring. It had a slow puncture hence the odd alloy but the remaining tyres are okay.

It'll need a couple of front wings (TADTS) and the offside rear arch is holed, but that's not uncommon on 850s either. All* the important bits are sound, though bizarrely there is very localised rot in the door shuts and the bottom of the passenger side A-pillar which'll need attended to.

Mechanically, it needs a cambelt - full kit included with the car - which I'll probably have to outsource 'cos I'm inept at shit like that. It also came with new discs and pads in the boot, along with a full service kit and five litres of oil. It's had a battery last month, along with front wishbones, strut tops, track rods... yadda yadda.

It's less rotten than my 850 saloon and it's an estate. Also it was very cheap for an 850TDi... it'll need cleaned and stuff as well, so aiming for MOT by the weekend.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

The Germans call this "warm property development".

A lot of that comes from events across Germany in the early/mid 1940s.  

The RAF (not, in this instance, the Red Army Faction) observed 'proof of concept' testing by the Luftwaffe Urban Planning Initiative over Coventry and London's dock area in late 1940 and ran with the idea...

;)

A lot of that comes from events across Germany in the early/mid 1940s.

The RAF (not, in this instance, the Red Army Faction) observed 'proof of concept' testing by the Luftwaffe Urban Planning Initiative over Coventry and London's dock area in late 1940 and ran with the idea...

;)

And then town and city councils up and down the land took heed of this exemplar and kicked the arse out of it, in the process known as throwing the baby out with the bathwater. An act which might be called urban and suburban Prescotting.