L565 TAP Rover 416. Looking for some history.

Bobthebeard

As title.

This is now officially mine. Lovely looking car that has clearly been cared for in the past. Collected and driven the 270 miles home. Am just trying to piece together the history of the car as it came with little. Was owned previously by Danny Hopkins of Practical Classics magazine and Pandamonium of this place. Purplebargeken was the latest custodian.

It has been lowered, drastically. To the point that it is almost undriveable on the shite roads around Beard Towers. Although some new springs were in the boot.

As a Rover apologist and fan I would love to learn any history of this fine 1993 steed.

• 4 months later...

I have the original wheel trims for this in my garage (from when I was looking at getting an R8), so if you would be interested in having them for the postage price, please let me know.

It had alloys (from a later car I assume) fitted and the original wheels are long gone. (Also the spare wheel is marked up as GM, but sort of fits in an emergency.)

But thanks anyway!

Now pressed into daily service owing to a scary 'almost fail to stop' moment in the Saab 9-5. Car pulled out in front of me at the weekend resulting in an emergency stop, at slowish speed. The Saab stopped just in time with the pedal on the floor. Burst flexi hose. Glad it happened when it did with me driving, and not with Mrs Beard on the motorway.

All four flexis now to be renewed, despite no obvious signs of deterioration.

Anyhoo,

The Rover (Rhonda) is a fantastic car to drive on the daily grind. Eager, responsive and fun. Plus great visibility resulting from the many windows and slim door pillars.

Have said it before, but car design (mostly) by the 1990's was as good as it gets in many ways.

Am just trying to piece together the history of the car as it came with little. Was owned previously by Danny Hopkins of Practical Classics magazine and Pandamonium of this place. Purplebargeken was the latest custodian.

As a Rover apologist and fan I would love to learn any history of this fine 1993 steed.

Prior to Danny Hopkins it was Craig Cheetham.  This was confirmed in the magazine August 2017:

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/practical-classics-uk/20170801/281694024816713

Untitled.jpg

Craig is on Honest John, ARonline etc

Prior to Craig Cheetham, there was this West Sussex trader's advert from January 2016

https://www.gumtree.com/p/rover/rover-400-416-si-part-exchange-to-clear-1993-/1179254001

image.jpg

3 OWNERS FROM NEW, PART EXCHANGE TO CLEAR, SERVICE HISTORY / Call us : 01273 493806
Mileage 58000 miles

• 1 year later...