'New' Beeetle - thinning out the VAG herd - Glasgowish (now £250!)

pauldoubleyou

Bargain Beetle. A tradionally designed delightful mess of dynamics originally pulled from someone squinting at a mk4 golf and then a 60s Beetle.

I bought this for fun about a year ago and here it sits, W reg so one of the earlier ones. Fitted with the sportastic 2.0 VW lump out of most mk4 Golfs and Bora of the age.

I have a few VAG motors lying about so this has been treated to a thorough scan with VAGCOM (pronounced VAGG) and came up with a duff MAF, so this has been replaced. Its also been treated to a reseal of the aerial and rear brake light and a repaired rear bootlid actuator, along with fixing little bits here and there and a few vac hoses. Cleaned the intake and breather pipes out and ticks along silently.

There is always bad bits and theres two main ones - two holes in the sills in roughly the same place under the doors. Measuring about 5"x2" once the rot has been removed these need someone who has somewhere warm to weld to patch over as i have lost interest in welding in the winter and the missus has lost interest in it being on the drive (and will be until summer honestly). The other test failing delight is a blowing centre section.

Non test failing niggles include a starter that doesnt like to return to its home position after starting and thus makes a delightful whirr when you start the car, and just to annoy you further it seems the bottom drivers door hinge needs tightening from inside the door (after you remove the door card). One wheel is a black steel with the other alloy in the boot with a flat tyre.

Usually i wouldnt bother putting every single tiny fault but at least you know what youre sailing into.

Its quite a nippy 115bhp and is also pretty big inside, clean and tidy non-smoking interior and 125k of your standard woman driver miles. 5 owners, no history and a load of VW paraphinelia completes bundle.

Ready to drive away, starts, stops, runs and drive fine. All fluid levels are topped up and even the electric sunroof works. Tyres all have loads of tread on (4mm ish) and the brakes seem to have been done recently. Timing belt looks a bit shiny but seems to have been done at some point.

Anyone for £325?

54962d1355680860-vw-beetle-2-0l-2000-sil

• 5 weeks later...

I drove one a few years ago. Couldn't live with it - the base of the windscreen is so far in front that I had difficulty in judging where the front corners of the car were.

Bargain at £250; needs a driver who can cope with its optical illusions!

Like this guy you mean

6ea9c26be2e1053104a50a285a3913d9--mr-mag

Have a free bump - this is a barg. Not for me, because not estate shaped. Or a Cruiser.

Yeah ive had some tart from local asking about it, messging for a full hour, then asked me if it had an MOT and any issues. All of which were in the advert..

Think its going to a mate. If not, im working away for a week, and might renew some enthusiasm when i get back - but probably not. West Coast scottish weather means no outdoor welding.