Hevingham Woods: "The Abandoned Ones"

BorniteIdentity

That looks like one of those body farms they have in ah murica fuck yeah.

So the Feds can practice forensics on real dead people. Grim.

Still cool though, especially the coach with as much foliage in it as around it.

*edit. The V reg removal truck was last taxed in 1986!

6 years earning it's keep isn't long. Wonder what happened there?

Don't worry, it was on 28 Day Later, 3 years ago according to the link I found:

https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/hevingham-car-scrap-yard-norfolk-october-2014.t92575

From the information the OP gave, there's little left anymore and it had been in the process of being cleared for years before. That said, a quick Google search saw that there were a few images with that fire engine having some glass in the windscreen (albeit already broken), so I suppose that internet exposure could arguably have contributed.

I don't condone mindless vandalism in any way but those that were dicked about with were hardly Pebble Beach entrants and were most likely due for scrapping, so I'll not lose too much sleep over the sorry mess. Anyway, cheers for the photos Mr. Bornite, always interesting to see a bit of content!

Medler's scrapyard used to be near there, and he had all sorts of interesting chod back in the day - wonder if it's linked to that?

I think they are from Medler's. There's another thread here: https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/medlers-yard-norfolk-august-2015.t98911

As posted on here some years ago, I took photos there back in the '90s and in 2000-ish. All pre-digital, and the scans I've done previously really need to be redone. Back in its latter days:

3834031997_279330aec2_o.jpg

1971 Toyota Corona 1900 MarkII by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Recreating a circa 1971 Motor road test, there was also a Datsun 1800 and a couple of Mazda 1800s in the yard.

3834879306_c176b2133d_o.jpg

Ford Falcon by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

3834025947_f81f557586_o.jpg

Ford Fairlane, Medler's c.1996 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

3834878390_0c72f58ceb_o.jpg

MedlersOld36 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

3834132975_fcf8887981_o.jpg

Medlers Mixture by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

3835392957_504519198d_o.jpg

Singer Vogue and assorted oldies, Medler's c.1996/97 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

3836185222_9ab6714866_o.jpg

1962 Plymouth Valiant at Medler's c.1996 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

6781683248_dc69204f06_o.jpg

1974 Datsun 100A (E10), Medler's 1996 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

3836185758_7bcc6d553e_o.jpg

1984/85-ish Colt Tredia Turbo c.1997 by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

You get the idea. Most of the above were photographed in the big open field. This was surrounded by a rusting wall of cars, which could be crawled through and then there was plenty more out in the woods. Also another big area which I never explored until my last visit or two, that bit wasn't originally open to the public. All my current uploads are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/7430965@N05/albums/72157622077392262

They were funny about selling complete cars, they claimed some had been sold to them on the basis they didn't see the road again (for sentimental reasons after someone had died?) but I think they were basically hoarders. They were happy enough to sell parts however, I spent a Bank Holiday weekend there getting the 5-speed 'box out of this Bluebird SSS propped up on various old wheels etc:

3834138045_4b2270d8c4_o.jpg

1980 Datsun Bluebird SSS Coupe by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

I then had the slightly surreal experience of driving my own car around the yard to get everything back to the gate:

3911025039_f282245931_o.jpg

1978 Datsun 180B in Medler's Scrapyard (1997?) by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

• 2 years later...

Holy thread revival Batman!

For anybody who’s still interested in this place, I went last weekend as I was driving past the place - it seemed rude not to drop by. A quick ‘I’ll only be here half an hour’ turned into three hours!

Link to the album.

https://flickr.com/photos/24252872@N05/sets/72157714523148996

There were a few vehicles of interest, I particularly liked these little (and big) things..

WCT 901K - Bedford YRQ 45-seat coach - June 1972

WCT 901K, new in June 1972. With the powers of the internet, this is what it looked like when it was relatively new.

89B5A335-12CC-40DD-BA62-946CEE3A129F.thumb.jpeg.503dc11c2cea5609fd51ba1e515b20fd.jpeg

BLH 604B - Austin FGK Lorry. ‘Cadbury’s Cakes’.

BLH 604B, an Austin FGK lorry, working for Cadbury’s as a cakes van.

Again, I’ve found a picture when it was in service. (I hope @trigger is okay me using this one)

1964 Austin FGK 30 Cadburys cakes

I believe ‘604’ is the one on the far right.

And finally, my favourite out of the whole place.

C.1974 Simca 1100 High Top Van

I think it’s a 1975 or thereabouts, Simca 1100 High Top Van, or VF2. Not sure of the exact date as there are no reg plates around to confirm it’s identity, Any serial Simca lickers on here able to cast more light on it? It’s done 62k so at a guess it’s probably seen around 8 years on the road which would mean this ended up in the yard in the early 1980’s.

C.1974 Simca 1100 High Top Van

It’s advertising a probable local business as the phone number seems to be an old Norwich one.  Incredibly rusty though isn’t it. I just absolutely love it, I would love to rescue it and place it on a plinth in tribute to an automotive work of art as it is.

@Angrydicky I did find something very interesting to the right of the van, you can probably see it in the photo above. A complete steering column for either a Mk1 Carlton, or Senator. Would it fit the Royale? I’m 99% sure it had a cruise control stalk on it? I think I’d need to go back and have another look ?.

Anyway, enjoy the pics. Apparently the land is now not in the Medler family ownership, and I have heard rumours the whole site is to be cleared for 150 new houses to be built which is a massive shame and a bloody crime as it’s so peaceful up there.

That would be a tragedy if yet another open space was cleared so that Mr and Mrs Philistine can live in a Barrats box with an A6 and 2 dropout kids.

'The Bearded Explorer' did a couple of nice You Tube videos of the place very recently. He takes quite a bit of time studying the cars so it's well worth a watch.

6 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

That would be a tragedy if yet another open space was cleared so that Mr and Mrs Philistine can live in a Barrats box with an A6 and 2 dropout kids.

'The Bearded Explorer' did a couple of nice You Tube videos of the place very recently. He takes quite a bit of time studying the cars so it's well worth a watch.

Yes, I watched his video and that, and the fact that AngryDicky had been, convinced me to go. I just wish I had gone there when there were 4000 cars on site!

37 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I was gonna mention him. He finds some amazing places.

Nice pictures? Did you go east of the footpath? There’s quite a lot of stuff over there too, spread out through the woods right to the far perimeter of the site. I walked right over there (and got lost and spent half an hour wandering around in circles until I found my way out again).

I put my pictures on Instagram @austinfan91 but if @greengartside is ok I’ll lob some on here too.

2 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

Nice pictures? Did you go east of the footpath? There’s quite a lot of stuff over there too, spread out through the woods right to the far perimeter of the site. I walked right over there (and got lost and spent half an hour wandering around in circles until I found my way out again).

I put my pictures on Instagram @austinfan91 but if @greengartside is ok I’ll lob some on here too.

I’m not entirely sure if I did, would that be where the bus and fire engine were? Yeah stick the pictures up. I did try and find that Serck number plate you took a photo of but it had already gone. I assume that was near the parts bus with all the headlamps in?

Great pics. Even in its advanced state of decomposition, you can sense what a light and airy thing that old Duple must have been to travel in. That body today, with A/C and a less agricultural powertrain, would be wonderful.

I wouldn't mind some of its seats for my conservatory. I'd need a conservatory first, though.

Medlers was one of those yards I always wanted to see but never did. A couple of mates had been, probably about the same time as SL took the pictures upthread and I'm fairly sure one of them said there was a fenced off section of the yard as a result of one of the sons having died there in an accident many years ago. 

Loving this, there was a smaller equivalent of this yard a few miles from where I live with stacked piles of obscure 70s/80s cars rotting into the ground in a wooded area, it used to be an active scrapyard but by the early 2000s when I visited (pre-camera phone, sadly) it was all but abandoned.  Some of the stacks of cars had collapsed on to one another when the bottom ones had dissolved too much, it was very surreal and I really wish I had thought to go back with a camera!  When I returned in about 2010 it had all gone, cleared for a housing estate.

3 hours ago, greengartside said:

I’m not entirely sure if I did, would that be where the bus and fire engine were? Yeah stick the pictures up. I did try and find that Serck number plate you took a photo of but it had already gone. I assume that was near the parts bus with all the headlamps in?

Yes that’s right, near the bus with the headlights. Just beyond the Simca. There’s a lot of cars over that side but they’re more spread out. I’ve definitely seen less pictures of that side of the yard online.

I mentioned it before but definitely up for going again sometime.

3 hours ago, Amishtat said:

Medlers was one of those yards I always wanted to see but never did. A couple of mates had been, probably about the same time as SL took the pictures upthread and I'm fairly sure one of them said there was a fenced off section of the yard as a result of one of the sons having died there in an accident many years ago. 

Referenced here: https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/medlers-scrap-yard-hevingham-norfolk-october-2017.119922/

4 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

Yes that’s right, near the bus with the headlights. Just beyond the Simca. There’s a lot of cars over that side but they’re more spread out. I’ve definitely seen less pictures of that side of the yard online.

I mentioned it before but definitely up for going again sometime.

I don’t know exactly how far it goes back, I did find the front end off a Reliant Regal and a couple of large heaps of scrap metal. If there’s more then I’ll be up for another visit too.

11 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

I want to find the Somerset in the collapsed barn - the one thing I didn’t manage to find. Did you see that one?

No, I didn’t venture into the barn, at that point I was about to head home as I’d mashed my legs up with being stung 20-odd times. Note to self: wear trousers next time. I did see the yellow Moggy Minor which looked very sorry for itself.

There were two tumbledown barns I found. One was empty (as far as I could see) the other is an old cattle shed which contains a standard 10.

Yes, jeans are a must - I was very glad I wore them instead of my usual shorts as the place is very overgrown and there’s a lot of nettles there.

There is a 1960’s Commer fire engine in the same yard that’s been there forever,

AAH 292B - Commer Fire Appliance

AAH 292B was stationed at Swaffham Fire Station all its life until it ended up here. Why nobody has taken this on to restore is puzzling. Anyway by complete chance I have stumbled across a video of it when it was in service at Swaffham... https://youtu.be/gESDsSJIrcE

8 minutes ago, greengartside said:

There is a 1960’s Commer fire engine in the same yard that’s been there forever,

AAH 292B - Commer Fire Appliance

AAH 292B was stationed at Swaffham Fire Station all its life until it ended up here. Why nobody has taken this on to restore is puzzling. Anyway by complete chance I have stumbled across a video of it when it was in service at Swaffham... https://youtu.be/gESDsSJIrcE

Huge deterioration in a decade. 

Screenshot_20200607-141147_Facebook.jpg

Wow, a lot of deterioration in the last few years. Now I realise that the green Singer Gazelle, red VDP 1100 and black Austin Somerset in the collapsed barn are the three squashed ones now languishing outside. No wonder I couldn’t find that barn. I found what looked like the collapsed remnants of it but was confused as no cars lurked within.

The black A35 has also been picked up with a digger or something and broken its back since that photo. I reckon the family must have still been slowly clearing it at that point. The only changes taking place now seem to be from vandals, sadly.