What

Tamworthbay

I have been out of the buying loop for a while due to loss of storage causing a clear out and other parts of,life getting in the way. I have been in the position to get another car for a couple of months and looked at a couple but they just haven’t got the juices flowing. The Capri still needs to be a priority for funding so any purchase needs to be low cost. The problem is that I am not sure any car exists to fit what I want. It needs to be £500 or thereabouts, preferably MoTed but at worst MoTable with limited time and very low cost. Ideally four seater as whilst I love two seaters a lack of time means it will need to do family duties if it’s going to be used. Minimum of electronics. ‘Sporty’ or old (90s or earlier, earlier the better), able to go on classic insurance. Aesthetics are less important. Not a million miles from the midlands. I would love a Cortina or old French chod but can’t them being close to my budget.

Does such a car even exist? Or should I just really push to get the Capri sorted? (Difficult over winter as it’s all paint prep that needs doing).

Yup, that’s what it seems like! Only last year I got a couple of 80s car for that money. And a Dolomite for not much more but that did absorb a few hundred more to be safe and reliable.

I am looking at a Peugeot convertible with long MoT at £500 but not sure it’s me really (it’s bright yellow)

And thought I had bought a mates Celica for £350 but turned out his other half couldn’t bear to let it go, so they are still out there. Just not sure what to look for even really.

What about Eddie's Saab? Looks like the roffle is experiencing a Christmas slow down.

I have been uming and ahhing about that and then saw someone else had put their name down on it so I believe it’s gone. The only issue with that one was the distance and weekends are pretty full for the next few weeks but should have thought to ask if it could have been held on a deposit. You snooze you lose as they say.

Chaseracer came up with the solution to this, initially in form of a game.

1. Go to eBay -> Cars, Motorcycles & Vehicles -> Cars.

2. Set filters max price 300, max distance 25 miles (or whatever), sort by ending soonest.

3. Buy the first car in the search results.

I just did it for myself and it returned this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-206LX-VERY-CHEAP/253232339170

s-l1600.jpg

Chaseracer came up with the solution to this, initially in form of a game.

1. Go to eBay -> Cars, Motorcycles & Vehicles -> Cars.

2. Set filters max price 300, max distance 25 miles (or whatever), sort by ending soonest.

3. Buy the first car in the search results.

I just did it for myself and it returned this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-206LX-VERY-CHEAP/253232339170

s-l1600.jpg

Are you sure it wasn’t cavcraft?

post-19712-0-89507400-1511704692_thumb.png

Ive had a look on eBay and Autotrader but there’s not many Hispano Suizas or Alfa Montreals for £300. I’d have thought finding anything that starts runs and stops and has any prospect of seeing the winter out would be fair game. Probably doesn’t help that scrap is £150 a tonne or so, anything interesting for £300 will probably be an absolute nail.

Ive had a look on eBay and Autotrader but there’s not many Hispano Suizas or Alfa Montreals for £300. I’d have thought finding anything that starts runs and stops and has any prospect of seeing the winter out would be fair game. Probably doesn’t help that scrap is £150 a tonne or so, anything interesting for £300 will probably be an absolute nail.

You would think that but Eddys Saab proves it’s not the case. They are still out there, it’s just finding them.

Pumas seem to be going for buttons at present, even the 1.7s - aren't they afflicted with tinworm a la Ka ?

I have a puma that needs a bit of work to get back on the road. I sort of acquired it to save it from the scrapper. I haven’t bonded too much with it and it needs the usual welding so unlikely to get it before the Capri gets sorted. I think it will be a nice car when sorted.