How much shite is too much shite? Ready for the NEC and I have to decide on the Xantia

Saabnut

The only casualty of the trip was my recently expertly* fitted and expensive* DAB radio/CD player decided to shut itself down after being on for a couple of hours and it has remained steadfastly off since. I will have to have a look at it but it is low priority (it took me several years to get around to fitting it a couple of years ago) but having no tunes for a 7 hour drive was something I would rather not repeat.

Try resetting (usually a small hole to poke summat into) had a few stereos do this and I think its a failsafe from overheating..

if all else fails...B F H

Airnormous WWE Big Bash Prop | Sledgehammer | Role 40 Inches | Interactive Play | Triple H, Mixed

This was a well known POS car on Autoshite for a few years, owned by at least 4 shiters and it slowly made its way north, being run on a diet of veg for most of the time. Eventually it starred* in an AS calendar shot (alongside a nice example) but by the time the calendar came out the car was in Glasgow and the injection pump seals had gone and most of the dash was hanging out with the ignition lock homed on the parcel shelf. It was heading for the bridge but as it had a sound shell, the idiot that I am collected it from 120 miles away by trailer and my friend and serious 205 molester said he would fix it when he was not busy. That took 2 years......

Previous owners (that I know about but there could well be more) were @Microwave @Bucketeer and @davehedgehog31

IMG_1452.thumb.JPG.c508a68e095240aed974933341167742.JPG

IMG_1451.thumb.JPG.13f37e10952e9732e817864b3c4714d7.JPG

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? Another collection arranged

Having put some diesel in the Pug and used it for a bin run, it was put away until |Wednesday when it will get taxed, in the barn to keep the snow out of the sunroof.

29624958_IMG_14551.thumb.JPG.ea1f8007932815db0da4070f4eae28b9.JPG

Today I decided that I was going to have a day off from motors and do some domestic duties. This afternoon I got a phone call from a guy I sold a Saab to a couple of years ago saying the car has developed faults - reluctant to start, rattle from underneath - and he was going to scrap it, was I interested? Having decided I was not buying any more projects, I of course said yes and will be travelling to Edinberg on Wednesday with my trailer.......

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? Another collection collected

Travelled down to Edinburgh this morning with the trailer (had to leave the Disco at home* due to lack of MOT) and fought my way into the city. Garage were very helpful and provided a jump and eventually it was coaxed into life. DPF blocked warning on the dash, smoke everywhere and would not rev above a fast tickover. It took a couple of runs to get it on the trailer (saved me unwrapping the winch) and strapped it down before high-tailing it back to civilisation.

I am hopeful it is actually a blocked DPF and the car will survive, but need to get the Sonett off the ramp so I can have a look.

IMG_1457.thumb.JPG.176cee8e64e55ddedc1291241d985c82.JPG

IMG_1458.thumb.JPG.b184aad50bb41b0f4c5f728c0f61b322.JPG

32 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

Travelled down to Edinburgh this morning with the trailer (had to leave the Disco at home* due to lack of MOT) and fought my way into the city. Garage were very helpful and provided a jump and eventually it was coaxed into life. DPF blocked warning on the dash, smoke everywhere and would not rev above a fast tickover. It took a couple of runs to get it on the trailer (saved me unwrapping the winch) and strapped it down before high-tailing it back to civilisation.

I am hopeful it is actually a blocked DPF and the car will survive, but need to get the Sonett off the ramp so I can have a look.

IMG_1457.thumb.JPG.176cee8e64e55ddedc1291241d985c82.JPG

IMG_1458.thumb.JPG.b184aad50bb41b0f4c5f728c0f61b322.JPG

We have a similar vintage Alfa 159, same dizzle engine I think. I bought an old DPF and smashed the innards out with a core drill. Also got a cheap centre exhaust to throw on at the same time. It's been behaving recently so I've not meddled but will probably sort after next MoT. 

I would like a remap (delete EGR, delete DPF) but can't seem to find anything under £200.

1 hour ago, grogee said:

We have a similar vintage Alfa 159, same dizzle engine I think. I bought an old DPF and smashed the innards out with a core drill. Also got a cheap centre exhaust to throw on at the same time. It's been behaving recently so I've not meddled but will probably sort after next MoT. 

I would like a remap (delete EGR, delete DPF) but can't seem to find anything under £200.

My other 9-3 might* have had a DPF/broom handle interface but I found it definitely needed a remap as the sump oil was regularly deleted with diesel. As that was a few years ago, it was still legal to do it so was cheap(er)

13 hours ago, big_al_granvia said:

jeezo, you still have jaggy mcjagface, 

Only because I have not had time to scrap it.

Left home yesterday and they were talking about strong winds returning. It was a light breeze at worst.

The motorway signs on the way back had a yellow warning for ice. It was mild.

Nothing was said at all about this. The same car 16 hours later:

1006370249_IMG_14601.thumb.JPG.766cb4e7b3991bf69d42eee8ee2bf060.JPG

5 hours ago, davehedgehog31 said:

Glad to see the 205 back on the road. What did it all need? 

The big one was a new fuel injection pump (new to me anyway) as the veg use had comprehensively killed the old one, every seal leaking and wear in the insides. Apart from that, a new wheel cylinder and shoes on the back, most of the dash components cleaning and refitting, headlight aim and a wiper blade. Oh, and straightening of the very bent rear brake plate. Will need a rear wheel bearing soon, but really nothing that was not known or expected.

Taxed it today and took it for a 60 mile run on icy roads. Great fun and nothing has broken yet.....

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? So Neat - Sonett on its way

Today I remembered why I hate cleaning cars, I much prefer to use them than clean them, but it does not help when you are about to sell a car. The last couple of weeks I have been getting the Sonett ready for market, some what reluctantly as I still love it but my knees disagree everytime I get in or out. Of course, a lot of the minor jobs are ones I have been putting off since I bought the car 10 years ago!

I have derusted the underside of surface rust as documented previously, and applied Lanoguard to help keep it at bay, and that has turned out nicely

IMG_1462.thumb.JPG.074346f2bc9f3fe24257eecccb88b361.JPG

IMG_1463.thumb.JPG.062be2d110aa15b90d0fdaf928cbc7e1.JPG

IMG_1472.thumb.JPG.03743e93970e2f7459846326322fa2d7.JPG

Next job was the bodywork. Considering this is the original 55 year old gelcoat, it is in remarkable condition. First was a coat of wax (whatever is lying around, this time it was some MER I have had for years)

IMG_1481.thumb.JPG.7debd834ab1a96c56da1a8fc21fa77b4.JPG

After which a coat of my favourite product. This was recommended to me by a professional detailer many years ago and I have used it ever since. Easy on, easy off and a superb finish that lasts for ages.

IMG_1482.thumb.JPG.da8cf43c4ace4681241b7820103d56cf.JPG

That done, it was clean the glass, refit the boot floor, vacuum the interior and job done.

IMG_1490.thumb.JPG.13dae0728c6232896484e51e4c1a8ec3.JPG

IMG_1489.thumb.JPG.d13a288e24dcf77956c66da0c296b5e4.JPG

IMG_1493.thumb.JPG.5658b125bdd59fee22df9f09a6fc2702.JPG

Of course, it is now better than it has ever been and I started to think about keeping it. I have to be sensible, so have listed it on C&C before I changed my mind. Mind, I really won't be upset if I end up keeping it.

I love your thread. I've read this a couple of times and it amuses the hell outa me.

The sheer value of some of those cars (the Shelby Cobra is probably worth more than many houses in Aberdeen), Bentleys, Rollers and all sorts yet you have them sat around in a barn.

Have you ever thought "hey, fuck it, I'll get rid of 40 odd of these motors and just keep the ones I really enjoy"?

I'd love to have the space and the time that you clearly do to tinker, but I think that many cars would be too many 😂

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? Top Tip

Todays Top Tip.

When buying a 205 to stop it being bridged, and you are told the sunroof leaks and the interior is soaked, by all means apply cheap duct tape to help* stop the leaks. However, do not then leave it outside for 18 months, then put it in a nice dry shed for a further 6 months. If you do, you will discover the duct tape has degraded to the extent some fabric and lots of glue is left. You will also discover the bod between glue and lacquer is stronger than the bond between lacquer and paint, Once these discoveries are made, spend an hour trying to remove said glue before saying sod it and getting the mastic out to seal it properly.

It is this point you discover the clear mastic comes out white.. What is all over your hands because you forgot to put on your gloves will spend the next hour setting and turning clear so you spend the rest of the evening peeling it off. Hopefully that on the car will turn clear, but chucking it outside with the temperature at -4c may* slow it down, will find out tomorrow!

Still, at least I spent many hours minutes on doing a quality job so have ended up with an invisible repair!

941851375_IMG_15301.thumb.JPG.69dfc5b07b410d51eacca8a118abd5e1.JPG

I used black tigerseal to seal up the sunroof on my old xm, was a much more invisible repair! 

(annoyingly it didn't leak from the seals and worked OK but it leaked from the surround and through the roof motor and out through the interior light... So had to seal the lot up. Did try sealing the motor but it didn't work, probably because grease and bodge don't mix...)