How much shite is too much shite? Not Over for the Rover - Yet!

Saabnut

Accident on the M^ at Birmingham saw a 45 minute delay on the boards, but the faithfull old TomTom took me around it. I think I may have upset a few people on Walsall High Street but it saved me 20 minutes! :-)

Saab dropped off in Monmouth in deepest darkest Wales, no pics as a fairly recognisable location. Now at my digs for the night at Michaelwood Services, with the excitement building for a collection tomorrow! Distance to Saab drop off point 484 miles with the diversions, and from there to my digs 48 miles. Tomorrows collection point is showing as 36 miles so a reasonably early start should see me on my way to get loaded and head home. Did I mention I was doing a collection tomorrow? :-) 

The view from my bedroom window:

1364159319_IMG_18131.thumb.JPG.2f16a96bd66235a3b77b356c9e9f88d4.JPG

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? Collection Capers

Ooooh, excited! Always good to get a new toy. I owned one similar to this many years ago and liked it, but as usual got offered a profit so it went (in my defence it was in my dealer days) and always fancied another. Very strange doing a collect 500 miles from home and yet starting off 45 minutes away, although I need more diesel!

Sorry for the lack of updates! Left the hotel at 8am, filled up at Asda Patchway - yes, further from home - and arrived at the chod supplier by the back of 9! We then spent far too long talking shite but eventually got around to loading

450943375_IMG_18141.thumb.JPG.9e5ca43192ad874a4c164446f0f3d89c.JPG

Yep, that one :-) 

I eventually left at 11:30 and my satnav told me I had 502 miles to go! Stopped at Carlisle Tesco again to refuel and arrived home at 8:30pm. Averaged 27mpg but the check engine light came up on restart at Carlisle, but apart from making the dash look prettier there was no other effect. The Hyundai tows better than I ever imagined it would.

Now safely back home, but not yet unloaded as I am knackered!

1416565612_IMG_18151.thumb.JPG.cb0fe882b95a30bd0ce0642a5ad172bf.JPG

1188940385_IMG_18161.thumb.JPG.1786f6026cd2470008ed813562c9eb4e.JPG

1639566758_IMG_18171.thumb.JPG.0284418ba2b3676ccd25c41a9424cc8a.JPG

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? Collection Collectioned and home
2 hours ago, Saabnut said:

Sorry for the lack of updates! Left the hotel at 8am, filled up at Asda Patchway - yes, further from home - and arrived at the chod supplier by the back of 9! We then spent far too long talking shite but eventually got around to loading

450943375_IMG_18141.thumb.JPG.9e5ca43192ad874a4c164446f0f3d89c.JPG

Yep, that one :-) 

I eventually left at 11:30 and my satnav told me I had 502 miles to go! Stopped at Carlisle Tesco again to refuel and arrived home at 8:30pm. Averaged 27mpg but the check engine light came up on restart at Carlisle, but apart from making the dash look prettier there was no other effect. The Hyundai tows better than I ever imagined it would.

Now safely back home, but not yet unloaded as I am knackered!

1416565612_IMG_18151.thumb.JPG.cb0fe882b95a30bd0ce0642a5ad172bf.JPG

1188940385_IMG_18161.thumb.JPG.1786f6026cd2470008ed813562c9eb4e.JPG

1639566758_IMG_18171.thumb.JPG.0284418ba2b3676ccd25c41a9424cc8a.JPG

Ooh Awesome! really pleased to see this one is staying in the fold :) very much looking forward to seeing more on it! I do like me a Moggie :)

I was all too worried it would just be snapped up for its mark and then punted on into the unknown

soo, we will be seeing you driving down in it to FoD Next month yah? :mrgreen: (certainly would be more fuel economical then the Cobra!)

Excellent work on this - worth the haul I'd say. I'm back in UK as of next week and this did appeal - but I need a 'modern reliable-ish' runaround sorted as a base first before I go for another rolling project..... I'll shout dibs for if you ever decide to move it on! (fat chance I know)

Went out in it today for the first run to get petrol. Drives lovely. Think the bottom end of the engine will need an overhaul sometime soonish so that can be a winter project. Just went out to it again and the starter switch is not doing anything, think my track has shook a wire off the solenoid but it is hissing down here so it can wait until it is dry. Despite the minor - see what I did there - foibles I am very happy with it. Tomorrow is a shed day as I have to sort out the Sonett spares as it is off to a new owner soon.

1600626363_IMG_18181.thumb.JPG.073ad185920a81f7d7400a6b7f84a7a6.JPG

Rain stopped and a quick investigation shows the starter pull switch has failed. A screwdriver across the terminals starts it, and lifting and pushing the contact from under the bonnet also works. A quick ebay has a new one on the way for less than twenty quid! There are advantages to owning a common classic!

Actually while I think of it, there is a coupler behind the pull switch. Probably worth double checking that it hasn't slipped. I had my hands in that area recently when fixing the washer jets. So I may have knocked it if it was loose. 

Don't forget about tweaking the wipers sweep. While they work, you'll get a limited area if you get caught out in a rain storm!

19 minutes ago, SiC said:

Check the exhaust isn't banging against the bottom of the body. It's pretty close. Might save you a tear down of the engine!

Funny you should say that, I came to the conclusion the exhaust is rattling underneath and it may not be the engine when I was out there. Talking to my friend and serial Moggy owner, he reckons the right hand engine mount collapses on these and that results in a knocking exhaust! Will investigate along with the coupler.

On my fuel run, it rained, and at speed the wipers actually hit the rubber and need resetting down at the centre a bit! Probably a bit of play in the linkage so on the "to do but not urgent" list. 

It drives really well....

I have just read this from start to finish.....and even found some of my posts in it, which I have zero recollection of adding!!!

Re disco auto... they allegedly made 15-20hp more than manual disco's due to that pump...I have owned 5 discos 1 of which was a V8 G reg, and must admit the 200Tdi always seemed more spritely than the 300...

Would love another but with tax and fuel at the stupid prices now it wouldn't be a viable option...owned nothing but 4x4 for close to 10 years, L/R stuff Pajero's and 2 Lada Niva

• Saabnut changed the title to How much shite is too much shite? Another Delivery and Another Collection

Time for an update, first the Moggy. A check under the bonnet revealed the engine mounts have indeed collapsed causing the exhaust rattle. New set of engine and gearbox mounts ordered.  A look under the dash at the coupler referred to revealed it had indeed slipped, so a quick adjustment and starting has returned! I will keep the new switch when it arrives, that way I will never need it. My usual tyre wholesaler in the Sheffield area has no 13 inch tyres in either 175 or 185, nor any good 235 70 16s so looks like that is another thing in short supply. Good job I am not in a rush for them.

Moggy did another 30 miles this evening, a run to the petrol station for 20 litres of diesel for the Kubota lawn mower and 10 litres in cans of petrol as insurance for tomorrow. I am also on the trail of a Riley 1.5 rear axle which will make long distances more relaxed.

The next job today was to replace the ballast resistor on the Cobra as the new one had arrived. Easy and quick job and the Cobra is back running. Once I had the old resistor off, a look at the back of it which sits against the bulkhead revealed the problem.

1377375751_IMG_18202.thumb.JPG.d900fa000124b2e5c5418776757c1876.JPG

Finally, I had to check the Rover P5b ready to drive it to near Sheffield tomorrow. Oil and water needed less than 1/4 litre each, tightened the fan belt as it had started squeaking and checked the tyre pressures. Ready to go! I am slightly nervous as apart from the 120 mile run last weekend, it has not been out of the shed for nearly 8 years, but WCPGW? Will update this thread when I can, and a collection is being made Saturday morning, a car I have not even seen and was written off by an insurance company a couple of months ago and has not been repaired! Could be fun :-) 

Oh yes! AA arrived within the hour well actually a contractor and took me to Blythe services. About 20 minutes later an AA patrol arrived who got the spare out of the carrier where it had lived for the last 11 years blew it up and I got the final 14 miles of my 372 mile trip under my own steam 

My friend had already collected 4 new tyres and one was fitted before calling it a day and  beer 🍺 was consumed 

Apart from the tyre the journey went well. The other rear tyre was also far from round when removed! This is the one that blew, worth noting it blew at about 30mph and I literally pulled on the hard shoulder and stopped, so it was not driven flat. The damage to it was from when it went.

1579416419_IMG_18321.thumb.JPG.38085aaf09fec8c227d341b6fb2c229d.JPG

700644619_IMG_18311.thumb.JPG.b2b2325507c4613f6ae453407a9ef3d5.JPG

Spoke to my friend last night and all tyres replaced and good for the road again. He is going to use it for a few shows this year and then it will probably go on the market.