Big old shite BMW mile munchers: talk to me about them

jonny69

I'd go for an 04 onwards Saab 9-5 . The petrol ones had got over the "little " sludge issue by then . Make sure it has a silver valve cover not black .

Our 9-5 would do 40 mpg on a run easily enough and was quiet and very comfy .

The 2.2 diesel is a good tough economical lump but a bit out of place in the Saab. The 1.9d suffers from usual cr diesel issues

I'd go for an 04 onwards Saab 9-5 . The petrol ones had got over the "little " sludge issue by then . Make sure it has a silver valve cover not black .

Our 9-5 would do 40 mpg on a run easily enough and was quiet and very comfy .

The 2.2 diesel is a good tough economical lump but a bit out of place in the Saab. The 1.9d suffers from usual cr diesel issues

*nods*

My ex SiC moon mileage (220k) 9-5 auto can scrape 40mpg on a run at 70. Nice place to be too.

Fucking dreadful little trolley....... I ran on on the same commute as my diesel E39 when it was in for paint.

It was quite new then and in good order.........saved nothing in fuel and nothing like as comfy.

Why would you?

I'm thinking of chopping in my Inshite. Bear with me, it's awesome, but I have my reasons. I'm doing 120 miles a day commuting, which is why the Insight makes sense. However, I'm looking for something a bit bigger and more comfy for sitting on the motorway every day. Something that needs a little less input, less road noise, which I won't feel quite so fried after sitting in for an hour and quarter.

Got to be 55-60mpg or the fuel bill will be too high, auto, comfy, stable on motorway, quiet, reliable i.e. (impending doom won't be acceptable). I'm thinking of an older BMW 5 Series, diesel, early 00s, high mileage that won't matter if I rack up a lot more miles on. Will this fit the bill or have I made a major oversight here e.g. wildly out with the mpg, parts prices, actually going to die, £1Million+ for tyres, £550 road tax bracket?

I have an old E39 that'll meet nearly every single one of your demands. That's right, EVERY SINGLE ONE almost.
It's big, roomy, comfy to drive, an auto, has presence, stable on the motorway with minimal road noise. Lots of cylinders, for torquyness, and lots of bhp's for exhilarating performance when required. Lovely soundtrack too. 45 - 50 mp2g is easily possible. Yes, that's 50 miles using just 2 gallons, so a commute of 200 miles each day is only going to cost you about £46 per day in fuel, or £230 per week or about £1000 each month.
Delighted to have been of some help.

Has your employer got electric charge points? No car is better in a traffic jam than an electric one!

Yes, but because of the company Nissan car scheme, there are a few Leaf owners for only the one charger, which is usually occupied. It would be too much risk not being able to get a charge, because it can't quite make a round trip.

Another a6 vote for me

I did consider the A6. The insurance was astronomical for me.

100+ mile a day commute , I like driving but it'd have to be a well paid job! I know people do this and more and I know I've been lucky either working at home or just 5 miles away. 

I fucking hate driving and because everyone is a cunt. I work in F1 but I live nowhere near F1 Central or the team I work for. I like my job. I can't do much about that and I'm not going to be moving house soon.

Mondeo

Good shout - I'd forgotten Mondeo bouncing.

Bimmer stuff

Cheers for all that (and everyone else's input, for that matter). Yeah, so I'm pretty much ruling out the old Bims then.

Done some basic sums. Essentially, I'm in a bit of a middle ground here where the depreciation and cheaper tax on a much newer car is roughly the same as the additional fuel cost and higher tax on an older motor because of the miles I'm doing. It probably means I'm going to end up with a much newer car instead of fulfilling my dreams of some comfy old barge.