The Thousand Pound Range Rover

Wack

I love driving it , looking down on the peasants below me , a guy drifted out of his lane on a big roundabout , saw 2.5t of Range Rover bearing down on him and quickly went back to whence he came

Six-Cylinder says that about the drifters, tailgaters and dodgy overtakers too. He can even go slowly in the RR and they all tuck in neatly and behave themselves, whereas if he's going all out in the Visa (which isn't actually a slouch at the upper end with its 1.7 diesel engine and the bodyweight of a Rice Krispie) he is targeted by all of them all at once.

Interestingly, the combined mpg achieved between these two extremes of diesel vehicle is about 34mpg, which isn't bad. The RR manages 22-24 on a run, but goes down to around 18 towing the boat. The Visa is 51.something mpg all day long, regardless. We don't tow the boat with it though... :-)

How is this going?

OK, there's a slight vibration when sat at lights that goes off if you put it in neutral so a gearbox flush might be due though I read good and bad things about changing the fluid so I might try an additive recommended on the RR forum first to see if it cures it

I really like driving it , it does like to keep you on your toes though, when problems are announced you get the bong of death along with a message on the dash so you hear the bong and think, fuck £1500

So far I've had , bong, key battery low and bong , it's 3 degrees

I've got some interior upgrades to modernise it a bit but I'm going to put it through a MOT before I spend any money on it then I'll decide whether to make it look newer with a facelifted exterior, I've got a dateless plate on retention I could put on it.

I like it that much I was considering selling it and looking for something newer once I've sold the B class but newer RR prices are a laugh, I'd need to put 10K to it for a worthwhile upgrade and I might be looking at a ticking time bomb because they've all done over 100k at £13,000

• 2 months later...

Bit of an update 6 months in

Nothing has fallen off , bongs of death have been key battery low and it's 3 degrees outside

Mot this week, failed , steering gaiter and a link bar on the rear axle , link bar cost £11 and the gaiter was a broken jubilee clip

Now has 12 months test on it

Still loving it

It was worth it, they really are like driving a school bus both in size and cornering ability but it's just so old man comfortable, returns an average of around 25mpg , it wants some cosmetic work which I have planned but the weather has been awful so I haven't gone near it

I parked it on the front lawn but it's rained that much it sank , when I tried to get it out it left 2 6" ruts 15ft long, had to get the jetwash out to clean the tyres , much curtain twitching from the neighbours

I need a parking place for it so I'm going to buy some gravel grids and dig it out properly

Wack, on 12 Apr 2018 - 12:09 AM, said:

It was worth it, they really are like driving a school bus both in size and cornering ability but it's just so old man comfortable, returns an average of around 25mpg , it wants some cosmetic work which I have planned but the weather has been awful so I haven't gone near it

I parked it on the front lawn but it's rained that much it sank , when I tried to get it out it left 2 6" ruts 15ft long, had to get the jetwash out to clean the tyres , much curtain twitching from the neighbours

I need a parking place for it so I'm going to buy some gravel grids and dig it out properly

Ha, my old V12 XJ-S sank in the garden and I had to tow it out with my 650 Katana :-)

• 3 weeks later...

They were the sticky brakes , £50 for a new caliper isn't extortionate though , got a towbar fitted on it as well , managed to find a used set of electrics as they're a fortune from land rover because it needs an ecu to control the air suspension and reversing sensors

• 2 months later...

Another quick update , still going Great, still like driving the school bus , went to ellesmere port in it today didn't miss a beat, everything still works , even the AC , haven't really done much with it other than fit a towbar

I'm not really sure why I've still got it , plan was to sell the B class and get Mrs wack to run about in this but she's not keen , problem is it's not a thousand pound range rover any more, I've got about £3000 in it now