The Thousand Pound Range Rover

Wack

Thing is with a bloody good clean it'd be a nice car , body is straight , 2 owners from new , needs the plastic bit around the drivers seat £140 and a ns indicator, headlight brackets are broke but fixable and you cant tell when the bonnet is down

I could spend another £1000 and get a reliable car or spend £8000 and get a shit one with everything about to pop

Generally the early 330D is a reliable engine which may be the problem , it could have been sitting for months with no oil in so could have a stuck piston ring , if the backpressure is down to the breather a blast up the motorway might sort it out

Yes but a long way away now , I was in Leicester at the time , I'm a bit nervous about buying another used engine now though with another £500 to fit it

Had a quick Google and there's a few things to try , the cats may be blocked , there's a shit load of smoke coming out of it , not sure if that's residue from driving it with the old engine which was smoking like a steam train or this one, not sure if it has an EGR , have to ask.

I'm willing to spend a bit more to see if it can be cleared but if not it'll reluctantly be sold as is

I just did the same breather on a Freelander TD4 I picked up cheap 2 weeks ago for my girlfriend after she wrote her MGF off. Bought it 'needing a turbo' because of how much blue smoke it was chucking out. £6 filter seems to have sorted it, and I'll change to the new type on the next oil change.

And back down

It's fucked , not pressurising but the dink dink dink is really bad when it's under load , I could hear it coming back up the street 300m away

I'm a bit stuck now , I've 2k in it and 2 bolloxed engines , neither are worth repairing as the cost is too high both parts and labour so options are sell as is or back to square one with the risk of buying another knackered engine

Bring on the electric car

As I recall this outcome was thought to be quite likely from the assembled rabble, so I don't see why the answer should change... :mrgreen:

Just when I had convinced myself that my Disco 2 was here to stay this time I've started looking at L322s again. Bollocks. My V8 was the finest tow motor I've driven. Dragging a 16' trailer off motorway junctions in the hunt for LPG every 200 miles did wear a bit thin mind. Did that 3 times in a day when I went to Swindon and back to get the V70 TDI...

So is the default forum answer for 'should I buy a £1000 range rover" now maybe not yes?

Of course not :D , even if I put another £1000 in it it's still only £3000 in a 2 owner car with suspension and gearbox already fixed which is the same as renting a golf for 10 months

Spoke to the engine seller an hour ago, I can tell he's genuinely surprised it's turned out like this , he's got another M57 engine so at the moment it's looking like this one is going back in a box in exchange for the other one as long as we can work the logistics out

Of course not :D , even if I put another £1000 in it it's still only £3000 in a 2 owner car with suspension and gearbox already fixed which is the same as renting a golf for 10 months

Spoke to the engine seller an hour ago, I can tell he's genuinely surprised it's turned out like this , he's got another M57 engine so at the moment it's looking like this one is going back in a box in exchange for the other one as long as we can work the logistics out

That's not too bad then, even paying postage shouldn't be as much as any other option should it?