The Thousand Pound Range Rover

Wack

Just got the V5 , I'm only the 3rd owner, first guy had it 11 years from new , 2nd 3 years then me

also found out why the engine was knackered, owner no 2 hadn't changed the oil , probably in the 3 years he'd owned it , steve said  when he took the sump off the bottom of it was like tar , took him 1/2 an hour in the parts washer to get it clean to fit on the new engine, so replace the engine was the right choice.

He's hoping to have it running tomorrow so maybe ready to roll Tuesday or Wednesday

Just got the V5 , I'm only the 3rd owner, first guy had it 11 years from new , 2nd 3 years then me

also found out why the engine was knackered, owner no 2 hadn't changed the oil , probably in the 3 years he'd owned it , steve said  when he took the sump off the bottom of it was like tar , took him 1/2 an hour in the parts washer to get it clean to fit on the new engine, so replace the engine was the right choice.

He's hoping to have it running tomorrow so maybe ready to roll Tuesday or Wednesday

Why do people do that? it's madness to spend so much on a car & not look after it.

Why do people do that? it's madness to spend so much on a car & not look after it.

.... well, they might wear a $6000 Omega watch in the shower.... and thats fine.

I may forget and wear my £5 ASDA watch in the shower.... it will not end well.

Some people don't  GAF either way M8

TS

Guy was a mechanic, plumbers have leaky taps, gardeners have scruffy gardens etc etc

still making a decision on tyres, decided I don't want blingy wheels so new tyres on the originals are probably the best option, been reading good things about Landsail tyres actually, B rated for wet braking C for fuel and about £70 each in 255 60 18

Top thread! I bought a 2004 V8 on gas with a smidge over 200,000 miles on it earlier this year for £3500. Did 8000 miles, had one recovery due to a split LPG coolant hose, and even after paying a garage to mess up repairing that, and servicing it and replacing a few small bits, I still came out £250 up when I sold it a couple of months ago.

Bought my old TD5 Discovery back as it's a brilliant workhorse, would like to try a TD6 in the L322 though!

There's a V8 Vogue near my house that hasn't moved for 3 years. Need to go leave a note on it...

Wading plugs, noted

I've been avoiding going up there until it's been fixed and road tested , but I'll take some when I collect it running with no bits falling off, Looks like I'm going to have to buy a new indicator at 7% of the cost of the whole car as used ones are like hens teeth

Thanks for the offer on the diagnostics warninglight but I think I'm going to buy something even though it's going to be in the glove box all of the time, as I've mentioned previously it's going to be mega reliable :D

Are wading plugs fitted full time on these?

The LRs I've had you only fit them when wading in case they trap leaks in & ruin stuff normally.

My timing case was warped so it was hardly worth it either. I just hammered the pushrods straight & fitted a new cambelt kit every couple of years.

True then, landrover tool kit is a box of hammers and a screwdriver

Don't forget the hairy string*

*replaced with ducktape after coils sprung axles.

Good luck with the engine, this is an interesting thread!

Ah yes the engine, that's not gone so well , turns out the engine has been fucked by the dick of doom which I believe is mechanic talk for not as reliable as I was hoping.

Coming soon to an eBay near you , a range rover with 2 bolloxed engines

It's either that or I take my chance on another engine, I really thought this one was fine, seller has over 4000 feedback on eBay, he said it was ok , driven to before breaking it , removed by undoing every bolt and plug but it's back pressuring worse than the one that was in there , squirts oil out of the dipstick when you rev it up , im going up this afternoon to discuss options , one of which may be a rag on fire

He wants me to WhatsApp a video of it running but the most he's likely to do is give me my money back so the dilemma is put it on eBay as is , running but fucked and take as many bits off the old engine as I can to recoup some money

Return engine and get my £200 back but that'll mean I'm fitting another engine as its not worth taking it out for £200

I've just found a running 330D on gum tree for £900 which is only 15 miles from Blackburn but it's done over 200k and I don't want another car , I should have listened to advice and bought a running car but it was all the hassle involved of getting it to Blackburn that put me off that idea

There's a dink dink dink coming from it when running, possibility it might be a stuck hydraulic tappet so Steve thinks , it's not condemned yet though, I've got a modified breather as both engines had the old one one which both looked pretty gummed up so we're trying that as one last effort

If that doesn't work I've got to decide whether to put another £1000 into it or cut my losses and sell it as is , I've got about £1900 in it as it sits so shouldn't be too much of a loss

BUT I've just had a sit in it and I really like it , there's no warning lights on, suspension is up so even if I end up at 3k it's still a cheap car just not mega cheap like I was hoping