The Thousand Pound Range Rover

Wack

Short version of a long thread

Bought Nov 17 with a blown engine

Put new engine in that was worse than the old one

Put another 70,000 mile engine in out of a 330D that I saw running this time

It's got loads of history inc recon gearbox and suspension done

Drives ok , no warning lights on , 2 keys, one needs a battery , 12 months mot, everything works inc AC

Needs the blower direction box sorting , it's on your feet, could be 5 minutes , could be 30 mi utes then theres a whoosh as something frees off and it's all working normally

I had a Google and it's something to do with vents, the box goes misshapen, I read a screw in the right place pulls it back into shape

Inner rear arches behind the back doors need welding , heated screen only demists the passenger side

It'll come with the original 18" wheels and wheel nuts as well as the 19" that are on it, but the 18" tyres are close to the limit

Qualifies for modern classic insurance , adrian flux quoted me under £200 TPFT , I went with A plan at £300 fully comp

I haven't advertised it anywhere else yet

Original post below

I've been looking at Range Rovers for a

few weeks , in the past as I have a very competent/cheap mechanic I've bought a few projects that have worked out Ok but not a RR

I've found one with an engine problem, not too far away guy wants shot of it so he'll take £1000 for it , it's a 2003 HSE with 150k on the clock, MOT history looks very good, it's tested until next april and he said it's had gearbox work in the last 6 months

It's a really bad idea isn't it ,put me off with tales of woe, I'm really tempted to go and see it and risk divorce :D

You'd be regarded round here as very brave for taking it on quite frankly. A colleague of mine is the most recent sufferer of this malaise, much as he liked driving it, he soon tired of repeated £600 per month bills - every month and his had no problems when he bought it. He now has a Nissan. 

As Ghosty says, run and don't look back. Otherwise, lots of luck, you are way braver than I. 

What engine is it? Early L322 s used either V8 BMW petrols or the 3.0 BMW dizzler, both of which are relatively easy to find in rusty/crashed e39s. Presumably a lot less of a liability than fixing/ replacing a later 3.6 V8 TD or a Jag 5.0 Supercharged lump.

£1000 sounds like the cheapest ever ( so far) and would probably break for more, pretty low risk purchase.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-Range-Rover-4x4-3-0L/142589106430?hash=item2132f918fe:g:IxYAAOSw-wJaEbaA

The ebay jokers have bid it up to 8k

reg is W5BLK, the tape trick didn't work

no advisories at all over the last few years, it's also been a local car , at the moment I have 3 cars, 2 of which have problems so I think another is a step too far

Most are L322 , the new one didn't start until a few years ago and they're still £££

man maths is telling me I could spend 10k on one and have as many problems

Personally - (owned one only though so a noob in RR dept.) - I'd prefer to go for suspension type issues....... although the engines can be done I'm more of the underpinnings to complete/fix/ - but that's my own preference.

THey really are nice once you've got over the coma inducing bills that can come up!

That's what's worrying me but unless I find one somebody has already spent a packet on the same could be said of a 10k one , as posted above, it's getting close to breaking money

The only immediate issue is getting it the 60 miles to the garage as it weighs 2t so transit sized recovery is out , I suppose buy tax then AA is doable

Here's an idea.

You send me £1000 and I will send you a bucket of scrap and ring you up and laugh at you and demand more money every day for a month.

After that you can take the bucket to the tip and be relieved that the taunting has stopped.

That's pretty much the same as buying a non running modern Land Rover. NO?

Early L322 wasn't too* bad* by Land Rover standards.

Gearboxes are weak and all fail. 'Had work' isn't good enough, they need a fully reconditioned unit, which, if you're very lucky will do 80k.

There is no way of running these things cheaply. Every repair will be £1k+ if you're not doing it yourself and it will want something doing every other month (I'm not joking BTW).

They're a nice drive though, until the next ftp/ warning light/ trip in the big yellow ambulance. Go for it at £1k, but unless you're breaking it, you need to be wealthy to afford the constant bills.

The slipping liners thing was a speciality of the p38 more I think. The 4.4 in the '322 liked to trash its chain and guides though. I've also seen sheared crankshafts. Quality products.

You might be right at that, rings a bell as a P38 now you've said it.

slipped liners came in at the 3.9 classic. weak fuel mapping according to eggspurts

I had one, liner dropped only a couple of thou. enough to create a gap under the fire ring for the compression to escape into the cooling system on the squeeze stroke and then coolant to be both pushed and sucked back on the suck stroke.

miss firey coolant spewing mess. shat the lot one day and went bang. that was the end of that v8

pressure washed piston top was a clue. 

post-3439-0-74513300-1511204281_thumb.jpg

as bad as the 3.9/4.0 could be the 4.6 took this to a whole new level. look for top-hat liners fitted 

1k L322 as a runner project and not a breaker?

No way hose, I reckon it would make a Disco3 running cost look cheap.

A mate of a mate has one, thinks nothing of throwing that ^^ purchase price at fixing issues and servicing. He has recently had issues with the front diff, again, which is almost regarded as a service consumable.

It's called progress donchano

I'll have 11, 36, 39, 48 and 52 please.

Noted :D

I've had a word with my competent mechanic and if it all turns to shit we can break it between us , my AA cover runs out in 3 weeks so this will be my parting blow , though I'll probably go for their breakdown cover with £750 towards repair costs as It could be money well spent