320touring's Exclusive Clio 172 - Unbroken brakes 03/03/19

320touring

Is the red light on the dash frantically flashing with the ignition on? Easiest way to tell.

It was.

Turns out of the 2 keys I'd given the burd the one that wasn't really used.

With the car being sat for 6 months prior to me getting it, it was grumpy with immobiliser.

Key reset worked and it got home ok.

I suggested injector as mine got through them quicker than a Scotsman gets through square sausage. 

I had the same symptoms but the EML didn't always come on straight away.

I made the mistake of buying second hand ones too which is not worth the hassle.

Exactly why these 172/182 in all phases will be worth something in the future. They're currently going through the unloved phase with a bad image. Being ragged hard, abused and poorly maintained. In a couple of years they'll be loved as the last small car with a big n/a engine crammed in the front. However most will have died, leaving the remaining to appreciate.

Love the wee ph2s, always thought any Clio mk2 ph2/3s we’re possibly one of the best looking and stylish small cars ever produced.

Came very close to buying a 182 on several occaisions after a very positive ownership experience with a 3yr old 04 plate ph3 1.2 Dynamique, but decided to try out a different car, always regretted it because back then mint examples were still being sold by franchised Renner dealers for 5/6k and would’ve made an excellent choice, as they were quite practical for a small car, comfy, fun to drive but also nice to drive, smooth, quite refined, and had all the mod cons, looked the tits, fast, fun to drive, handled brilliant and always put a big grin on my face anytime I drove them.

Favourite was a black one with a Milltek exhaust, full Renault FSH, proof of belt and dephaser pulley changes, 53,000 Miles, 1 owner, 5 years old and up for about £6000, SC04SBZ where are you now?

Exactly why these 172/182 in all phases will be worth something in the future. They're currently going through the unloved phase with a bad image. Being ragged hard, abused and poorly maintained. In a couple of years they'll be loved as the last small car with a big n/a engine crammed in the front. However most will have died, leaving the remaining to appreciate.

Exactly why I bought a 182 for £500 while I could!

Fella I worked with in Halfords got hold of a 172 Cup in Mondial Blue back in 2007 - as the story went, it had been bought new by a rich-kid wannabe production series racer who had it race-prepped but then crashed it on its very first track outing at Kirkiston, before rolling it into a shed and ignoring it for five years (clearly figured he wasn't cut out for racing after all). Not really much structural damage, and my colleague bought it for buttons as a non-runner with the racing gear stripped out and the original interior etc stuffed inside loose.

The main problem was not so much the repairs but getting an MOT on the thing - there was something like a 90% - 10% bias towards the front end for braking power, and the test centre refused to pass it as the rear brakes were viewed as 'inadequate'. After months of pissing about, he ended up having to get a letter from Renaultsport to confirm that this was indeed the factory set-up on these cars.

It was too new to really hold my interest at the time, but ten years on... yeah, it's something a bit special. I'm sure I've a picture of it somewhere - it could certainly shift.

ETA: pic.

post-17915-0-49453700-1513390385_thumb.jpg

Phase 1 R19 Chamade 16v behind was no slouch, either...

Love the wee ph2s, always thought any Clio mk2 ph2/3s we’re possibly one of the best looking and stylish small cars ever produced.

Came very close to buying a 182 on several occaisions after a very positive ownership experience with a 3yr old 04 plate ph3 1.2 Dynamique, but decided to try out a different car, always regretted it because back then mint examples were still being sold by franchised Renner dealers for 5/6k and would’ve made an excellent choice, as they were quite practical for a small car, comfy, fun to drive but also nice to drive, smooth, quite refined, and had all the mod cons, looked the tits, fast, fun to drive, handled brilliant and always put a big grin on my face anytime I drove them.

Favourite was a black one with a Milltek exhaust, full Renault FSH, proof of belt and dephaser pulley changes, 53,000 Miles, 1 owner, 5 years old and up for about £6000, SC04SBZ where are you now?

Bean cans i guess, mot expired July 15.