320touring's Exclusive Clio 172 - Unbroken brakes 03/03/19

320touring

• 1 month later...

With the Audi coming to the end of its MOT tomorrow, I thought I had better get this tub checked over before the Burd needs it for Monday.

After a jumpstart it drove well to the unit, but the brakes felt a bit spongy.

Obviously, this was likely air in the lines from when the new rear Calipers were fitted.

We bled them up again, getting a better pedal.

Out for a test drive. A couple of hard stops and I'm unable to get the ABS to kick in.

Pedal feels like stepping in shite.

post-17572-0-30787600-1548521495_thumb.jpg

One of the front to rear lines has popped and is spraying fluid out onto the fuel tank.

The floor was drenched

post-17572-0-77527600-1548521669_thumb.jpg

After extensive unit re- organisation (Inc moving 2 engines) we managed to squeeze it into the naughty corner.

post-17572-0-96425600-1548521784_thumb.jpg

It sits there without front wheels/throttle body or battery clamp - all liberated to apply to the burds 172 so it can go for an MOT this week.

• 1 month later...

After the joy* of many brake leaks, this has been in the naughty corner..

A week or so ago, the new front to rear hard-line (for the left rear caliper!) Was replaced. Our tame Clio breaker had a genuine one in stock in good condition - saving a fair bit of faff.

Luckily, the front to rear lines come out the ABS pump and have a join in them just as they come onto the floor of the car.

This means you don't have to disconnect and remove the Power steering reservoir, ECU and battery.

Now comes the fun part - it had leaked sufficient fluid to fill the ABS pump with air.

To bleed it, it needed to be running - cue a face full of hydrocarbons as I got the left rear flowing fresh fluid.

Both rears down, I took it for a run round the yard to get the ABS pump to kick in several times.

A check of the rears showed clean new fluid and no air.

The fronts were much less fun. The nipples were shot, so I had to bleed from the Flexi..

post-17572-0-84868800-1551642181_thumb.jpg

This took quite the while, but eventually a decent pedal was achieved, and the test drive proved successful.

I ran it home, and promptly swapped throttle bodies with the other one,as the one on the car was sticking

• 4 months later...