Shitefest 2018 (U.K.) Chez Saabnut 9-10th june

HMC

Would still rather have the road trip I think! Getting there a tad earlier and staying in a Travelodge sounds like a plan though, then it's just wether to do the whole lot on the way home in one hit or stop off halfway.

But it's too early to plan anything yet!

I guess there's flying Stansted to Dundee then cadge a lift/rent/buy chod option?

I believe you can fly to Aberdeen from Heathrow or London City.

Depending on what I have on the road at the time, I might have some cars for borrowing such as...

38812664641_89959d0cf7_c.jpgDSC_0668 by srblythe, on Flickr

25066195058_eb7673c9da_c.jpgDSC_0724 by srblythe, on Flickr

25451475798_623e64421c_c.jpgDSC_0844 by srblythe, on Flickr

38664525654_4f1c23fa83_c.jpgDSC_0869 by srblythe, on Flickr

27634829159_33dbae2e21_c.jpgRJC_9528 by srblythe, on Flickr

I'm in Fife so nearest airport is probably Edinburgh.

Also if shitefest is going to be in Aberdeenshire I'd suggest a visit to the scrapyard...

18649641024_cbf7ac31d6_c.jpgDSC_1257 by srblythe, on Flickr

19266127522_c62362f3b5_c.jpgDSC_1261 by srblythe, on Flickr

19085934249_e7eec38d0b_c.jpgDSC_1282 by srblythe, on Flickr

18651337833_18ac8deb1e_c.jpgDSC_1374 by srblythe, on Flickr

19275720661_0f29483418_c.jpgDSC_1401 by srblythe, on Flickr

I'm thinking this is what an XJ-S was made for.

Although maybe not the sleeping in it part. Luckily it has a tow bar, so I could perhaps source a small caravan and enjoy single figure mpgs.

Trailer tent FTW, ask Mr Wobbler!  No aerodynamic issues when you've got it all folded down ;)

As I stated before, all be it somewhat foolishly, I am willing to host something if required. However it would have to avoid Le Mans (mid June), Le Mans Classic (Mid July) and the SOC meet mid August so dates would have to be worked around.

So how about late May/early June? Midges should be less of a problem earlier in the year, assuming they are similar to round here.

It'd be good to get a date (any date) ASAP, so people can plan ahead.

Under 2 hours for me going the boring way (A90)

Plenty of awesome roads up that way so it's be rude not to take the long way up though. In the Locost, weather permitting. Any adventurous shiters would be welcome to join me on a scenic tour from Dunfermline.

I'll need a tow when the Locost breaks down....

Under 2 hours for me going the boring way (A90)

Plenty of awesome roads up that way so it's be rude not to take the long way up though. In the Locost, weather permitting. Any adventurous shiters would be welcome to join me on a scenic tour from Dunfermline.

I'll need a tow when the Locost breaks down....

I could chase you on the bike.

No tows offered.

I drove over 500 miles each way for Shitefest '16, so all you people pulling out because of distance can get in the sea!

Also, I'd love to see Leslie's face when a yellow double decker full of shiters turns up at his farm. :D

Well, looks like my place for Shitefest 2018 is a popular choice! I am happy to host, but there is a BIG proviso. I work in the oil industry and, as you may have noticed, since the oil price collapse 3 years ago, the industry has been in freefall with over 165,000 jobs in the UK alone lost. You will not have heard much in the mainstream press, after all, Scotland has to be seen at the forefront of some industry! Anyway, as a result I have not worked for the last 2 years, and at the moment there is not much sign that things will improve in 2018, but if work does come along, I will have to take it, and it may well be at short notice. It is a remote possibility and I will do what I can to avoid it :-D but there is a slight chance I may have to cancel right up to the very last minute. If that is too much of a risk, then I will understand if you want to organise another venue, but if you fancy a small gamble, then I am more than happy to go ahead.

So, fitting in with the above, dates. My employer knows that I attend Le Mans every year and will take that into consideration if some work does come up, although it is accepted on both sides that it is not guaranteed. LM this year is the 16th and 17th June, so what about the weekend before, the 9-10 June. It has the advantage of being almost 24 hours of daylight up here then, and the midges usually have not awoken in force. The alternative is the weekend before that or I am open to any other suggestions, but I reckon the closer to the LM weekend, the better the chance of me not being called away.

Normally before hosting an event, I would attend a few others to see what is expected, but in this case that will not happen, so I am relying on you lot keeping me right. I can offer the best part of an acre of reasonably flat grass, a fire location (plus a brazier - OK a 45 gal drum I use for recycling), a bog, shower and bath. I will try to recommision the outside bog before hand that will double the number of bogs, so that could be handy! I will also make sure that as many of the shed cars as possible are running so they can be put outside if it rains so that we can utilise the shed should the weather be shite. I can also provide a BBQ. Anything else, let me know.

So, what I need now is to know if the risk of a last minute cancellation is acceptable, and if so the preferred date. After that I just need to know what you would like me to provide......

Yup, pretty sure that's ok for me. I do suggest that we consider a contingency though. If people are actually booking annual leave, accommodation and possibly travel, they're going to be pretty gutted if it gets called off. As has been mentioned, contingency doesn't have to be a fat lot other than a field.