The new adventures of brownnova! A lot of broken vehicles

brownnova

On 9/2/2023 at 3:41 PM, LightBulbFun said:

Awesome! really looking forward to more on these pair! will always have a bit of a soft spot for the 2CV, they are really lots of fun to drive

They really are, from the very first time @dollywobbler took us round the field in Elly at Chumley we were bitten by the bug. But we did laugh at the seller of the yellow one when we bought it when she said “they’re addictive, you’ll end up with more than one” “no chance” we said… but… here we are! 

The photos of my two 2CVs have been quite flattering in some respects. They look fairly clean in them for a start! The truth is they looked like they hadn’t been washed in quite some time. So the first job to do in the recommission was to wash them to better see what we had.

I was rather pleased with how they came up… 

IMG_3080.jpegIMG_3085.jpegIMG_3086.jpeg

Its quite clear the A-Reg one (on the left) needs a lot of work, but a few new panels and a new roof would see it it looking 10 times better, and make it somewhere nearer watertight! I’ve ordered some decent quality covers (the main reason for the bath) to keep the water out. I had planned to get the battery ready to have a go at starting the D-Reg today. But alas the day ran away with me! 

Other fleet members?

aa303931-a616-49a7-bb8d-adf88de09beb.jpeg

Daisy went to a show today. Having done the castle run and to my new place of work this week (where she caused quite the stir!) I detected a bit of popping on slowing down today. Then randomly it cut out at the car show entrance. Daisy’s idle is inconsistent and sometimes gets very low, but she never cuts out. So this was odd. She restarted no bother, but on the way home we popped to Home Bargains and she did the same in the car park. All the way home she simply didn’t want to idle about 50% of the time. I wonder if the coil got warm in the heat of the day… or could it be the E10 I put in it on Monday as all fhe E5 pumps were off in the local petrol station.

Elsewhere: 

IMG_2941.jpeg

The Swedish portion of the fleet! The 940 has provided daily duties this week as my wife has had the XC90 and I won’t use her modern unless I have to 😂. It’s done a super job, although the non working fuel gauge led to some anxiety on Friday as I knew I must be near-ish the end of the tank. I’ve barely used the 9000 this week, so if the wife wants the XC90 again this week I shall use the 9k. I might just use it regardless, it needs a hood run.

Everything else is as you were. 

Grabbed half an hour today to do something with the 2CVs. I chose the D Reg project. IMG_3189.jpeg

These cobwebs suggest this engine has not run for quite some time!

Todays quick plan was to see if I could get some life from under the bonnet. The PO hadn’t been able to get any signs of life whatsoever when I went to view. So firstly I located a few wires to the back of the ignition which had been disconnected, and traced the other unconnected wires in the engine bay (which seemed to be indicator related). Then hook up a somewhat charged battery. On the turn of the key to position one we had life… a ticking noise from under the bonnet and the red oil light. Having turned the engine using the starting handle I knew it turned freely so ignoring (for now) the ticking noise I turned the key and the engine spun… albeit slowly… and the oil light went out as it was supposed to. Success - we have life and oil pressure.

Attention returns to the ticking noise… if I didn’t know better it sounds like a dry fuel pump. But these are mechanical pumps. Hang on what’s this… 

IMG_3188.jpeg

That pipe should be connected to something. At this point I decided to make use of my best reference tool… one of my other 2CVs and quickly realised this should’ve been the fuel pump line. So where does that copper line go?

Funnily enough to the source of the clicking! Yes, at some point an electric fuel pump has been fitted. Interesting.

Mystery solved I quickly lobbed some easy start in and have the starter a turn. This was a move in optimism rather than any expectation. And sure enough not so much as a cough. No spark it would seem. No real surprise after an undetermined number of years since the last start. 

So with tea nearly ready I quickly found the bolts for the triangular panel on the side of hush were in the back seats in amongst some other odds and ends and fixed them on properly and ended the tinker time just as I was hitting me stride…

• brownnova changed the title to The new adventures of brownnova! 2CV FTP… thankfully on the driveway.

First time I’ve ever been let down by the 2CV…

In a break in the rain this afternoon I decided it was the right time to get the one working 2CV out from its cover give it a run and repatriate it to the garage. First challenge was two flat tyres… odd, never done that before. Ok, then flat battery. Standard. Squirt of easy start to help suck the fuel through and we were away! 

Started and ran fine, moved it from its corner and left to run whilst I pumped up the back tyre properly.

It then started to pop and wheeze, and was very clearly not right. Giving it a Rev showed it was definitely only running on one cylinder….

All the connections checked and removed/replaced it was still definitely only running on one. I suspect HT leads… good job I’ve got a spare car or two to swap them off… but of course, mine has a Harley Davidson coil and needs different leads… 

I do have a standard coil somewhere, but can’t put my hands on it quickly, and I know I’ve only got a short tinkering time today.

Arse.

Back in the garage for a day where I have more time then. 

IMG_3628.thumb.jpeg.790ce1c871adb62325753c0560a06ea4.jpeg

• brownnova changed the title to The new adventures of brownnova! Pray for Mojo…

Current car mojo status: 
IMG_3689.thumb.jpeg.32ce63c47629dad5134e73193a923629.jpeg

Current fleet status: 

XC90: Fully functional… service due indicator came on this week. Owned exactly a year today. 

940 Highlander: When I swapped this for the Pontiac I expected to have it a lot less time than I have, and I certainly didn’t expect Bonk to be on its third different owner and me still have it! Status: working, but, non functioning heating makes use in the winter sub optimal.

9000: Needs brake discs as I think the ones on it are warped due to the brakes feeling off. Also now has a worsening coolant leak. So not currently a viable daily. Needs a section of exhaust too, but have bodged that for now. Boot leaking again. Also needs a damn good clean! 

2CV: Only running on one cylinder,  but whilst trying to fix it have made it worse. So now totally inop until I remove the wing and get the rubber boot out of the spark plug hole. Has a short list of jobs which also need doing including air filter housing replacement. And at some point I need to address the oil leak.

Other 2CVs: all not on the road. The green one isn’t far… but the other two are. No progress on any lately. 

Nova: no progress. Which frustrates and saddens me. I simply don’t have the time, skills or motivation.

Yugo: see above 

Kangoo: the scrap man beckons of it was seats rather than WAV and a diesel I might genuinely consider getting the work done and using it as a daily. 

Starting to consider whether on top of two toddlers, a teenager going through GCSEs, a very busy job, a house in need of constant fettling and the dark/cold of winter I might need to scale down and simplify… the Nova and 2x 2CVs are outside under covers and that won’t be doing them any favours. The 940 is already lined up for departure in January, the XC90, 9000 and at least one 2CV are must keep… but probably all of the Deux Chevaux will stay as I do know my way round a tin snail. The others… 🤷‍♂️ time for some decisions. But knowing me… I’ll still be in exactly this position in 12 months time! 

Useful to write it down sometimes… 

8 hours ago, brownnova said:

Current car mojo status: 
IMG_3689.thumb.jpeg.32ce63c47629dad5134e73193a923629.jpeg

Current fleet status: 

XC90: Fully functional… service due indicator came on this week. Owned exactly a year today. 

940 Highlander: When I swapped this for the Pontiac I expected to have it a lot less time than I have, and I certainly didn’t expect Bonk to be on its third different owner and me still have it! Status: working, but, non functioning heating makes use in the winter sub optimal.

9000: Needs brake discs as I think the ones on it are warped due to the brakes feeling off. Also now has a worsening coolant leak. So not currently a viable daily. Needs a section of exhaust too, but have bodged that for now. Boot leaking again. Also needs a damn good clean! 

2CV: Only running on one cylinder,  but whilst trying to fix it have made it worse. So now totally inop until I remove the wing and get the rubber boot out of the spark plug hole. Has a short list of jobs which also need doing including air filter housing replacement. And at some point I need to address the oil leak.

Other 2CVs: all not on the road. The green one isn’t far… but the other two are. No progress on any lately. 

Nova: no progress. Which frustrates and saddens me. I simply don’t have the time, skills or motivation.

Yugo: see above 

Kangoo: the scrap man beckons of it was seats rather than WAV and a diesel I might genuinely consider getting the work done and using it as a daily. 

Starting to consider whether on top of two toddlers, a teenager going through GCSEs, a very busy job, a house in need of constant fettling and the dark/cold of winter I might need to scale down and simplify… the Nova and 2x 2CVs are outside under covers and that won’t be doing them any favours. The 940 is already lined up for departure in January, the XC90, 9000 and at least one 2CV are must keep… but probably all of the Deux Chevaux will stay as I do know my way round a tin snail. The others… 🤷‍♂️ time for some decisions. But knowing me… I’ll still be in exactly this position in 12 months time! 

Useful to write it down 

Maybe put together a list for each car along with estimated time, cost and skill level  then you can plan what to do when you do have some spare time you can make a decision to crack on with something productive.

To be honest I've found it difficult this year to keep on top of things and I've got garages to do things I could of done and I've only got 4, don't know how I would get on with a fleet your size, maybe its time for some rational decisions....

Will pray tho 🙏 😉

20 hours ago, Floatylight said:

Maybe put together a list for each car along with estimated time, cost and skill level  then you can plan what to do when you do have some spare time you can make a decision to crack on with something productive.

Yeah, that’s the approach I’ve taken before, currently trying to work on one at a time, (so finish the green 2CV before starting the Nova) but that’s not doing it either. 

20 hours ago, Floatylight said:

maybe its time for some rational decisions....

I do wonder if it might be. Trying to work out priorities, figure out what’s important currently. Sadly headspace is hard to come by when toddlers are present, and by the time they’re sleeping and I’ve finished planning and marking for the night my brain is mush!! 

9 hours ago, RichardK said:

That Volvo really is an awesome beast. If I find myself selling the Range Rover due to overwhelm or chaos, I will buy another!

I honestly think I drive the Highlander more than any others of my cars currently seeing as I commute in it often! But the promised cold snap will put paid to that as it’s chilly in there during commuting hours. However, i took it to cars and coffee and of all the photos on the Facebook page I don’t think anyone papped the 940! 😂😂

Anyway decision #1 the Saab is going into a garage for the brakes and coolant leak. One more will be working. 

• brownnova changed the title to The new adventures of brownnova! An ode to a Volvo…

Much as I loved it, it was time to let it go, 
6 months with a silver estate Volvo.
Square in shape quite like a box, 
reliable, tough and strong as an ox.
It was only supposed to stay for a short while, 
But it stuck around as it made me smile. 
Time to leave with a man called Cai, 
A sad but necessary goodbye, 
Oh Highlander how you shone, 
Always remember, there can be only one. 
IMG_2584.thumb.jpeg.1ef29137b2d5dff726844fa0dd6c42de.jpeg

Anyway now I got that shit out of my system… 

A tough decision to let the highlander move on, but if I want to get some of the projects moving something had to give. Selling the Highlander gives me the cash to spend on getting the Nova done as I know my time and skills aren’t allowing that to happen here. Plus, it and the 9000 do exactly the same job, and in a shootout between the two the 9000 wins every time.

IMG_2577.thumb.jpeg.4b71501aceed10a0de9b8df27c939b1f.jpegIMG_2583.thumb.jpeg.7bdd15e6ae131045809801a45408c976.jpeg
I did really enjoy my time with it, it was a superb car and had been really well looked after by RichardK.

Now all I need to do is resist buying anything else. 

3 hours ago, brownnova said:

it and the 9000 do exactly the same job, and in a shootout between the two the 9000 wins every time.

hand in badge

also you need to tell this to the ladies because you are gonna be gbh'ed by them cos you will now never be able to visit scotland

ever.

• 1 month later...
On 16/03/2024 at 23:40, RoverFolkUs said:

Am I the first to point out.... :)

(Saab 9000 @6:05 in case the embed doesn't function as I intended)

Yes, hadn’t watched any Rustival coverage so hadn’t seen this! Thanks for spotting it!

• brownnova changed the title to The new adventures of brownnova! A lot of broken vehicles

We’ve not had the best fortnight of motoring here at chez Brownnova.

As we sit at this moment in time, of the 9 cars we own, I wouldnt trust/be able to use any on a long journey.

Two weeks ago, whilst I was at Rustival I had a message to ask how much fuel was in the Volvo… because the MG was broken. Turns out the Universal joint on the steering column has collapsed. MG couldn’t look at it for 2 weeks… and if you want a courtesy car? That’ll be the end of April… so one out of action until the end of the week at least. Customer service from MG dealer has been abysmal. 

No matter, the XC90 was now MrsB whilst I used the Saab. In the last couple of journeys in the Volvo I had noticed a small noise, which I couldn’t quite pinpoint… I thought little of it just a vibration or something. However getting back into it to take the kids somewhere it was worse.  Today ikea was the plan, but no, that’s the unmistakable sound of a wheel bearing on its way out. Not happy with a couple of hours on the motorway with a dying bearing. 

The Saab? Well MoT on Tuesday so today before we went out it was MoT prep, sponsored by GunGum… 

IMG_4788.jpeg.f2286169b3c2fd590697efd434363858.jpeg

Which means I need to let that dry… so can’t be used today at least… and we’ll see how Tuesday goes at this rate it will fail catastrophically. 

2CV? Well the only road legal one has sounded a bit louder than usual so after using it for work on Tuesday so I had a quick inspect of the exhaust… yep that’s a massive hole in the silencer! Thankfully I have a new one here already, might explain the popping on overrun. 

Nova… see my other thread. Rusty as fuck and now likely to be stored or moved on, that wasn’t good news this week.

Some weeks the shite gods are against you.

We’ll try Ikea in the Saab tomorrow.