The new adventures of Brownnova! Another Saab: not flopping its top

brownnova

On 7/19/2020 at 9:21 PM, brownnova said:

Mrs_brownnova had says she saw a squirrel under the car this week looking like it was chewing... I thought nothing if it. Turns out maybe I should....

4E0B087D-3526-428A-A679-F6420FC60AC7.jpeg

The plastic has been scraped somewhat. This ties in with where it was leaking when I saw it coming out., so I’m reasonably sure this is the source of the leak.

Will probably replace, but not sure if it could be repaired as it is so localised. What does the hive mind think?

On 7/19/2020 at 10:49 PM, Fumbler said:

With the tank repair, might you consider using some fuel resistant epoxy?

petro patch is one such example that might work well here? :) 

26 minutes ago, brownnova said:

New tank acquired today thanks to very generous fellow 2CVer.

Plan is to fit the new tank and then see if the old one is repairable too... 

I’ve not heard of a plastic tank leaking in my thirty years 2cving. Did it hit something? The best source of second hand parts at the moment is Simon sobey ( Tarquin for some reason, but that’s before mytime ).

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

I’ve not heard of a plastic tank leaking in my thirty years 2cving. Did it hit something? The best source of second hand parts at the moment is Simon sobey ( Tarquin for some reason, but that’s before mytime ).

Think it got chewed by a squirrel... sadly I’m not joking! Mrs B saw one under there chewing and chased it off.  There are scratches on the tank which look like it may have been chewed! Madness!! 

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

Think it got chewed by a squirrel... sadly I’m not joking! Mrs B saw one under there chewing and chased it off.  There are scratches on the tank which look like it may have been chewed! Madness!! 

On the other hand, that squirrel has never run better, and with an octane booster, who knows what numbers might be possible?

12 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Smoll_brownnova is doing amazing! Thank you for asking ? 

She even had her first ride in the 2CV last weekend and loved it (I assume.... she didn’t cry so...) 

That's chodtastic, hopefully she will be a chodder of the future. 

Edited to add I wonder what sort of chod she will be driving in 18 or so years time, a Fiat 500 maybe or a bASe Dacia Sandero 

• 2 weeks later...

Fleet update!

As seen in the news 24 thread the camper departed this week... 

186E0D57-619A-4354-813D-AE3CA39EA5D9.jpeg

Sadly with the baby and associated baby gubbins it was just too small and wouldn’t be used enough, so the shiter who had first called dibs some time ago was given first refusal and took it up. It’s now safely located much further north.

The MX5 has been slowly festering... 

18BA3446-6DFB-42F3-B009-7C1DDFB67254.jpeg

Grim...

6ED9FCE7-0BA6-4516-BFCB-8C5DFBAEA10D.jpeg

A quick * wash later... and I popped it up for the main thing it now needed. 
CA6494EB-13FD-4BAD-87F6-66A2F3006886.jpeg

Tyres. 

Then took it for a spin to blow out the cobwebs! 
Hopefully get this back to some regular use now. 
729F76C7-3486-4962-805C-AD703AD2644A.jpeg

Other than that: 

893102A2-DC66-4AFB-BCAA-EEE9CBAF4E3B.jpeg

Clio WarmHatchEdition: going to be given a couple of weeks service, probably replace the cat and maybe MoT it and see what happens. Have a feeling that it may not be a long term member if the fleet, but I do quite enjoy its turn of pace... my brother has expressed an interest already. 

Saabs: 9000 just does its thing, whenever it’s asked does need an MoT though. 900 has had a replacement battery and the only rust (on the boot lid) sanded and treated. The hood wouldn’t work last time I used it either... investigation to follow. 

2CVs: one awaiting fuel tank work - which hasn’t yet happened for a number of reasons. Replacement (Very generously gifted) is here... just need to get the top bits off (I’ve rounded the screws in my first ham fisted  attempt) and will then be fitted ! T’other 2CV is all fine. 

Yugo: I managed to poke a hole in it rust when u was showing it to my dad... I poked the repair and said “there are some pretty poor repairs” at which point my finger went through. Closer inspection reveals the rust may be more extensive in places than first thought. No bloody progress though as I’m a lazy git.

5B261319-65DC-44B6-8BAA-CD2B1D592B8D.jpeg

Talking of holes there’s a camper shaped hole in my fleet now.... better get on it! 

A Level results day today... so I need to ensure I go in and see the A-Level kids.... nice day... I’ll take the Mazda, but I’ll go get coffee on the way.... 

This takes me half an hour rather than the usual 20 minutes. 25 minutes in...

0D37AFC7-67FD-4E63-810A-0C07E5198D48.jpeg

The hateful thing cut out at a junction, restarted and the ran like shit.... and then cut out. Now it won’t restart. Going to give it a few minutes and see if it’ll go... 

At least I have coffee! 

The update is... 

The RAC kept delaying and delaying and delaying... so after 3 hours a mate offered to come and tow me home... 

But the problem is that I live in Wales and hills and tow ropes can be an adventure so we compromised and towed it to my brother in laws house which was closer. He’s handy with cars too, so we will look at together when I have tools! 

It makes up for his broken Peugeot which has been sat on my drive for 8 months ??

10 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Offtopic: where is that very cool bridge with the house on top?

The house bridge is called dry bridge lodge and it’s near Mostyn in Flintshire. 

10 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Are you still waiting?! Sure it's got fuel in it? (yes, been there...)

On this occasion it’s not a lack of fuel! That was last time ??

Current working theory is that it is a spark issue. It cranks but won’t catch. Any pumping of the accelerometer pedal leads to strong fuel smells so think it’s getting fuel.

We’ll go step by step and see what we find. 

The upside is that I got out of a work meeting that I didn’t particularly want to go to! ?

43 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Are you still waiting?! Sure it's got fuel in it? (yes, been there...)

Although having said all that the symptoms were similar to running out of fuel... the tank was reading half full though and I fuelled it last time I was out...