The new adventures of brownnova! A lot of broken vehicles

brownnova

7 hours ago, Schaefft said:

I completely forgot about it but the guy I bought my first Aurora from also owns a white Trans Sport SE. So if you are interested in owning two of them...

image.thumb.png.5a8038c11ae4d3916bc122ca45df50d3.png

image.thumb.png.70dae776947e8e8c0947bb57aa7de6b0.png

Oooh! Yes!!! 

I was chatting to the chap I met at retro rides and we were thinking of seeing if we could get a few UK TransSports together at some point! If I owned multiple all the better 😂

Fleet update time!

Over the summer I had all sorts of plans of work I could do to the cars, and I did the square root of fuck all… I’ve annoyed myself there! So where are we up to?

Well let’s start with the Pontiac. I had said I had scratched the itch and even bought the Elgrand as it’s notional replacement… but when it came to the crunch I just can’t do it. It really does offer me everything, a car I can take to shows, and take all the family (even after baby_nova mk2 arrives in January) in complete comfort, it covers distance so well and gets lots of attention. So I may do some preventative maintaining of this one and keep it a while longer. Which wasn’t the plan….

The 9000 continues to provide faithful service. It’s currently Mrs_b’s daily drive…

…Because her C5 needs two front tyres, but she has also decided she wants to sell it. Neither thing has happened yet.

MX5 needs a damn good wash, as does the Elgrand, but both are in good running order along with the Yellow 2CV.

The green 2CV is off for it’s metal transplant on Monday, so should be usable and safe after that! 

The two projects (Nova and Yugo) are still dormant. I definitely like driving old cars more than I either like or have time to work on them. So I’m thinking of farming the Nova out using some of the camper money or it won’t be done this side of Armageddon.

But all of this family malarkey has me thinking of family cars from the 70s… and my desire for one. I’m back at single figures now… I should stop there shouldn’t I? 

On 03/09/2021 at 22:37, brownnova said:

But all of this family malarkey has me thinking of family cars from the 70s… and my desire for one. I’m back at single figures now… I should stop there shouldn’t I? 

image.png

La Familiale.

You KNOW it makes sense...

Yeah, to be honest I had it over the pit before I took it Sunday and was poking as I knew it was going in… I was expecting this. I have apportioned funds to that possibility… at least it should be nice and solid when it’s done.

Then to decide whether to keep the standard Dolly paint job or do something a bit different with it… 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 8:55 PM, brownnova said:

Yeah, to be honest I had it over the pit before I took it Sunday and was poking as I knew it was going in… I was expecting this. I have apportioned funds to that possibility… at least it should be nice and solid when it’s done.

Then to decide whether to keep the standard Dolly paint job or do something a bit different with it… 

keep it dolly

There are a lot of standard Dollys out there… we have ideas… but we’ll see. 

Still awaiting this to return from the welder. This is because the door pillar has been discovered to be somewhat rotten too! Therefore it needed replacing. This was a slightly involved fabrication job so John asked if o could get the part. ECAS to the rescue but it took until Friday to be delivered. Part now with John, but he’s started another customers car in the meantime and it’s quite involved too… so might be a little bit for us to get it back yet. 3784AA85-E98F-4E3B-A399-7FD102C85356.jpeg5578173C-E8DA-41B2-A729-9A44540DC361.jpeg

• brownnova changed the title to The new adventures of brownnova! Live FTP!! How long will the big orange ride home take?

Driving home from work and unusually me and the good lady are coming home at the same time, so I’m following her, she’s in the Saab I’m in the Mx5, there’s a bit of dual carriageway and I storm past and she goes dead slow (most unlike her), until I realise there’s a problem, she we pull off and pull over and there’s smoke coming from under the bonnet. Definite smoke, it stinks!

8F1A85C1-6F7A-4442-8AAC-6E87CF4CE4CA.jpeg

Its coming from here, so looks as if that pulley has seized.

A3238964-2BA4-4F15-BDBC-BF75B22620A1.jpeg

It’s not the clearest but that is glowing red! I carry on it’ll go on fire… 

It’s not so bad, I’m 2 miles from home, so Mrs_b is going to come back for me now she’s taken the baby home and drop me back when the RAC say they’re on their way!

Frustrating though as this has been our go to car! 

Just now, dollywobbler said:

What does the belt drive? I've cut aux belts off to get home before now, but it only powered the alternator on the car I was driving...

Alternator, power steering and aircon I think… 

Cutting the belt is a consideration, but the steering was the reason I opted against. That and I didn’t have anything I could cut with, but if the big orange taxi is going to take too long I might go back with a big knife. 

Big orange taxi people have called, asked for the symptoms to see if it can be repaired at the roadside… decided very quickly it could not be. They’ve apparently decided to send “one of our trusted partners to rescue you”

That sounds exciting… 

1 minute ago, dollywobbler said:

If they've done that without the faff of sending a small van that can't help first, that's something at least! Steering will still work, and be a good workout - just depends if it also drives the water pump...

Ah I hadn’t thought about the water pump… I’m at home and will go back to it when they get here… so it doesn’t matter if it’s in 10 minutes or 3 hours really… but don’t tell them that! 

Aaand home! 
8BC8469C-3B83-4687-8999-9E15E1A2BD65.jpeg

Big Orange taxi was actually a big pink taxi. Friendly fella, would fit in here. Told me of his collections of old Minis and Jags, and how he had run a Lada Riva as a taxi back in his youth! He loved the Yugo when I opened the garage!! Total time from report to collection about 2 hours. Not too bad really. 

The car cuts out every time you turn the steering wheel as the drag from the power steering is too much, and the pulley smokes worse that Dot Cotton even when cold!

Will investigate, when it’s dry enough to do so. 

However, now: wine. 

42 minutes ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

Looks to me that the A/C compressor has failed, quite spectacularly I might add.

If you are not fussed about the A/C working, you might be able to fit a belt for a non-A/C model, thus bypassing the dodgy compressor and restoring lift to this fine chariot.

You might well be right. I was thinking through the symptoms again and that does make sense…

If it is I’ll look out for a compressor off a scrapper.