trigger

Styled in Italy, built in Britain - The story of the blue Ital Van

Brilliant news. A clean pass. You have done all this and i still have not yet fixed the dodgy door actuators on my 75. Any chance if i leave it with you you could have it fixed by 9.30 please?  :mrgreen:

Love this van. Lots of brilliant threads on here, but i must say this is my favourite ever. I have had a massive want for a Marina or Ital van or estate for years. Got a seat in one last year at the bmc day, and the lady almost had to call the police to get me out.  :-D

I hoped to make a little video today but the phone holder I ordered of Amazon has been delivered to the wrong address so you can have this naff one I done on a private test track as a appetiser...

https://youtu.be/DUTmvzT_Qy8

This was the first time it's got to 60! It wasn't all that bad really other than the expected drone from the empty back and the gearbox doesn't like to be rushed! I went and got £25 of fuel (first time at a fuel station for 25 years) in hope that the fuel sender might have kicked into life but no such luck.

e52c5e6c855aa79185aa7a3202dea103.jpg

Nipped to B&Q for some supplies.

a9af4d5bc9d35e1958ee3c5cd8f01143.jpg

And then had a little jolly around the local villages.

56247aadc225f516963a60d05027a7cb.jpg

c822593d6140abb68ea7464e0aaea8d7.jpg

So what are my thoughts on it? It's quite snug feeling to drive, I'm 5ft 11 and wouldn't like to be any bigger, it has a very long throw between gears which don't like to be rushed or they crunch but considering it was a builders van for 9 years driven by lots of different people and I haven't checked the gearbox oil yet I shouldn't be surprised.

It handles like shite, the arse wants to kiss the front on every roundabout if your slightly throwing it in and the steering is extremely light with no feeling.

It's great!

Awesome stuff! Some nice fresh EP80 in the box, and EP90 in the rear axle will probably quieten that box down a bit, as well as making a difference to the shift. And an old school box like that probably wouldn't mind some Molyslip either

You may find that you get (some!) more grip once the tyres have got some miles on them.  The ones I had put on the 107 were absolutely lethal for the first 100 miles or so.  Apparently something to do with the release compound from when they were moulded.

I drove a Marina 1300 estate and that gearbox hated to be rushed, if you did, it would point blank not let you have 3rd, it's very old school, no weight in the back will make it tail happy, just take it nice & steady, this is so full of win it's unreal, it broke the 'win-o-meter', and get Woollarding it!

I think this is brilliant.  Well done Trig for finding it and keeping an eye on it until you could get your hands on it!  And extremely well done on the restoration!  FWIW I've had a bunch of Marinas and the gearboxes are not much better than you describe.  IIRC they were taken from the Triumph parts list and mated to the ancient Austin A and B series engines, which they were never designed to work with.  So it's a miracle they worked at all!  I wonder how a Marina would be with an A40 box?  Or a Dolly Sprint engine?

I'm going to add to the ovation here. Watching the transformation from the first photo to that little video there has just been outstanding. The perfect Autoshite vehicle. I'm sure it will become a much nicer drive with a bit more use. It's been a while since the poor thing has seen tarmac regularly!

Trigger's Broom Rebristling Services delivery van :) You've done this van proud, they were unloved, and run in to the ground, then scrapped by tradesmen everywhere. This looks just perfect as it is

Sounds just like my Ledbury Maestro inside which if it weren't for having to concentrate so hard on keeping the momentum up and not having to use gears it would be annoying.  Childhood nostalgia flashback too from that video of you blatting down an almost empty road with all the various old car noises and wind rushing past and a radio you can only just hear.