Styled in Italy, built in Britain - The story of the blue Ital Van

trigger

It’s amazing you got to buy it after all that time and it didn’t get cleared out at some point .

It’s funny what these things from your child hood do to you. I remember delivering papers out the boot of a brand new white d reg xr2 and I’ve had a thing for them ever since .

Classic vans are for winners!

Great save Trigger and it's got a nice back story and connection with you too.

Are you going to weld it yourself? Tbh it doesn't look all that bad for its age and what it is.

Can't wait to see more on this one. It'll be as minty as your old Dolly in no time!

Well done Trig, this was fated to happen.

Looks like it’s basically pretty sound, and your track record suggests it’ll be show standard by a fortnight Wednesday, to the shame of most of the rest of us.

By the way, that Saab 900 comparison surprised me. The Merc 200 not so much: Greenland could outrun one of those.

Wow. I love stories like this. The fact the van has remained so intact, without being terminally rotten, and screwed up by visiting vermin is remarkable. Kudos to the fella who notified you of his intentions, too, rather than either asking a million quid because one person’s shown an interest, or bailing it because ‘no-one else can have it’.

If it were me, I’d try digging deeper on the old building company detailed on the V5 - I wonder if the registered address would throw up some links? It would be great to get the van restored and then parade it in front of the original owner/driver, if it’s even possible.

Looking forward to updates!

Thank you for the kind responses, makes a change from the "what the fuck have you bought that for, they were shit when new!" that I'm normally told!

Well done Trig, this was fated to happen.

Looks like it’s basically pretty sound, and your track record suggests it’ll be show standard by a fortnight Wednesday, to the shame of most of the rest of us.

Ha! Well, we'll see, We are due Triglette number 2 in a few weeks so things might slow down a little and I'm waiting on a mate with a welder which is going to hold things up a bit, especially as he's busy these days. The original plan was just to bodge it up for the test but it's such a original old thing it serves to be done properly (well as properly as i can do on a budget). In all honestly this thing should be dead by now, a cheap, rubbish when new builders van has no right to have lived this long so i feel duty bound to do right by it so future generations can take the piss out of it.

I'm guessing the first owner took one look at the first page of the brochure and just said "I want that one"

38340650262_c0e7cd27a5_b.jpgMorris Ital 440 and 575 Pickup and Van Brochure 1983 (1)

38340647312_bf25b62fd3_b.jpgMorris Ital 440 and 575 Pickup and Van Brochure 1983 (2)

38340648642_192663ef1d_b.jpgMorris Ital 440 and 575 Pickup and Van Brochure 1983 (3) by Triggers Retro Road Tests, on Flickr

He could have at least turned a couple of pages so i could have had cloth trim, a Ital steering wheel rather than a early Marina one, relining seats and door cards!

38340645462_2b41510aff_b.jpgMorris Ital 440 and 575 Pickup and Van Brochure 1983 (6)

38340643932_e1014d8a5a_b.jpgMorris Ital 440 and 575 Pickup and Van Brochure 1983 (7)

37656974974_5cb14e7684_b.jpgMorris Ital 440 and 575 Pickup and Van Brochure 1983 ( 8)

38340641912_0211ac556d_b.jpgMorris Ital 440 and 575 Pickup and Van Brochure 1983 (9)

That's a brilliant survivor and the back story just makes it all the better. Definitely a candidate for a feature in Classic Van & Pickup magazine when you've got it back on the road (and yes there is such a magazine, I acquired some from Chaseracer at the last FOD open day and there's some really interesting stuff in them).

This looks great. So what's the metal box in the engine bay beside the radiator?

That's just the external temporary fuel tank I'm using, i have put some petrol in the tank, I've just not been brave enough yet to connect it and try it yet, although looking in it with a torch it looks clean so i should try it really.