🚨L1's euro♦️ shenanigans 🍷🚨

loserone

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, sierraman said:

It’s a car port I’m assuming? Not a garage? 

Correct.  Conveniently positioned for one free wall protecting the contents from the prevailing wind

6 minutes ago, sierraman said:

What you thinking of for the garage? Block course then timber frame on top?

Indeed.  Financially it's a few years away, but I suspect that having knocked up the carport I'll end up doing the garage myself.

11 minutes ago, loserone said:

Indeed.  Financially it's a few years away, but I suspect that having knocked up the carport I'll end up doing the garage myself.

And why not? Get a concrete slab poured with some rebar in, couple of courses of dense block with piers at the weak points, layer of DPC then 4x2 tanalised frame, EPDM roof on some OSB, clad it with feather edge or if you are flush log lap. Realistically unless you are welding in there it’s a construction that will last and shouldn’t cost you that much. Only thing I’d say is build a good 25% bigger than you think you’ll need. 

3 minutes ago, primeradoner said:

Tunstall Reservoir looks really low at the moment. Next few days may help to  fill it up a bit.

They've been draining it to examine the structure apparently.  Not sure if they're finished now, but I've heard they're going to let it fill again and then drain it again in a couple of years to do some remedial work.

Mind, the water level going past the house is pretty low still so I guess they're filling up Burnhope and the various small ones around Cowshill.

On 06/07/2021 at 07:51, sierraman said:

car port

Little bit of progress last night, I finished the bottom layer of Onduline

IMG_20210707_181900.thumb.jpg.5f7555caa8bc19d73501902f4dc54e06.jpg

Then had to be distracted and knock up a quick chick run

IMG_20210707_181952.thumb.jpg.92a774e554664a4a4a66b63659293b42.jpg

I need to think about the ground surface for the carport.  I reckon it's big enough to be £300 of used flagstones, which I'd like to not spend.  What's the cheapest way to get me a not-muddy surface under the carport?

Hardcore?

Road scrapings?

Road scalpings cheapest then probably Type 2 MOT next dearer but easier to run the wacker over. It’ll want to be levelled as flat as possible to avoid puddles and chances are you’ll still get them. 

What I would do would be find somewhere selling off ex LA flags, run a strip of those per wheel then fill the centres with whatever. You don’t need to flag the lot. Beware though those ex council flags are fucking heavy, heavy enough that you’ll get away probably bedding them on sand 

Aye, there's a chap doing 2x2s for £5 each delivered.  Two runs shouldn't be so bad, and infill with road scrapings, perhaps with a few slabs between the runs in apt places so I can get a jack in the middle if required.  Problem is there's 10m between the gate and the carport, so that's a fair length of 'driveway' run.

my old house in Edinburgh had a gravel driveway which was an absolute pain when jacking up / working on the cars - I eventually gave up and worked on the street instead, much to mrs gm's disapproval :( 

any "tarmac your drive, sir?" characters floating around the area ?

44 minutes ago, loserone said:

Aye, there's a chap doing 2x2s for £5 each delivered.  Two runs shouldn't be so bad, and infill with road scrapings, perhaps with a few slabs between the runs in apt places so I can get a jack in the middle if required.  Problem is there's 10m between the gate and the carport, so that's a fair length of 'driveway' run.

Are these 38mm ‘new’ 2x2 or the ex LA slabs which are considerably thicker. If it’s the 38mm I’d put a sub base down, ideally of the MOT, run wacker over it then go for a full mortar bed. Don’t half arse like on these DIY programs with 5 spot, it’s ok for a garden path at a push but a driveway needs a full bed. 

7 minutes ago, loserone said:

Aye, they're good thick slabs, I can barely pick them up on my own despite only being 2x2.  

Seems like there's no way of doing it very cheaply

For the sake of your back, don’t carry them if possible, ‘walk’ them from corner to corner. It’s one of those jobs that is worth doing right, cut corners and it’ll bite you in the arse. I’ve got some slabs to lay this afternoon for a footpath funnily enough, could probably get away with bedding them on a dry mix but it’d its worth doing it’s worth doing right and  doing once. 

If you’ve a load of jobs to do you are often much better finding a local merchant, prices are usually much better than Wickes etc, probably less so for stud timber for example, they’re a loss leader for the big DIY places but flags and blocks  and particularly aggregates are usually much cheaper at a builders merchant. 

Aye, we have a pretty good relationship with the local merchant (over 3k so far..) but they are /very/ busy at the moment - I had to lend our neighbour who is a builder some slater's lattes a few weeks ago.   Most places like Wickes and B&Q wouldn't deliver out here.

For stud timber there's a reasonably local company who make stables who will deliver from their own stock at a small markup - still very cheap.  And there's a chap not too far away who regularly has used slabs available.

32 minutes ago, loserone said:

To give an idea of how cheapskate I'm being, there's 8m of guttering which was lying in the garden when we moved in.  No brackets though, so I'm doing this:

image.thumb.png.05fc3bf3a27b19ccad10f9c39d53455d.png

You can actually get brackets that hang off the end of the eaves, they aren’t common, think you’d have to order them. In the past I’ve just made up some brackets from flat bar. 

19 hours ago, sierraman said:

There’s a massive Cement shortage at the moment for the domestic market, Wickes limit it to 3 bags at the moment. 

It's not just domestic either Gilbert birdsal  ready mix company had to shut down last week as no cement available and they had used up their rashons for the month,     luckily  I managed to get 10 bags from merchants on Sat.

Steel buildings have also been suffering as raw materials are hard to get,  steel has went from £600 per ton to £1100 per ton and one farm  shed that was quoted at £120k  is now £145k thats some rise in a few months.

I