🚨L1's euro♦️ shenanigans 🍷🚨

loserone

Mini spec B update: 12 months test with no defects recorded. 26mpg recently.

These Legacys have very rot-prone (and complex) rear sub frames so an hour or so underneath the rear axle pumping goop into the subframe is recommended. Mine needed a subframe repair at ten years old which was a shock as the rest of the car was completely free of any evidence of rot.

• 3 weeks later...

Another mini-update.

Loserone you FUCKING KNOW that a leaf and a 3.0 are a match made in heaven - get it done

You weren't wrong, Kiltox.

Legacy is bloody brilliant.  Yes it's a bit thirsty, but I'm not commuting in it so I don't care*

Drives really sweetly, engine is great and it's both narrow enough to park in the back lane, and cavernous enough to fit the entire miner's gala labour party tea tent in the back, or a SnapOn roller cab with the seats still up for two kids.

I could do with changing the pollen filter, and it's probably due a service really.  However, after the recent expenditure I've been politely requested not to spend any more money on it for a bit.

Leaf is also excellent.  It's big enough to take the whole family out, can do enough range to traipse around Weardale or Tyneside without stressing, and I can cane it back and forth to work on narrow roads faster than pretty much anything.  Overtaking is easy, I can charge it for free at work, A/C is excellent, rear seats are nicely higher than the fronts so visibility from the back is great too.

I have been pretty much charging when I get to and home from work, which I think needs to stop.  Time for a few rapid charges and let the battery get down a bit betweentimes, as shown here:

UvdvoJk.png

Last time I checked, the battery was at 102%.  Bit of a drop in 6 months!

I do miss having two mazdas - having an MX5 and a 323F both with pop up lights was excellent.  I miss the Kia Pride too.  But they'd be rubbish at the practical things we now do as a family, safety wise were pretty shit, and I think overall this is as good a fleet as I've ever had.

Which is why I'm looking at 997s.

* Mrs_L1 starts a new job in October, where she will be paid expenses at about 1p per mile more than the Legacy costs to fuel.  For the last few weeks, in the lead up to the miner's gala (she ran the tea tent) she's been doing about 250 miles a week.  

I've not said anything yet, but I am looking at how cheaply I can get a Zoe without a battery lease.

Leafspy ftw!

Nice well-balanced pack. Only 31 rapids ever, too. 12v battery being slowly murdered with a float voltage under 13v. BaU.

Have you looked at the data logging functionality in Leafspy? Quite fun if you like making graphs. Interesting to watch the SoH rise and fall through months/seasons too.

Yeah, we gave it it's second rapid. Think the first was the dealer!

12v battery is shagged too, though it's done 5.5k since it last needed a jump start. At least I have the radio code now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've got one of those, it's a great car let down by a very poor autobox.

What problems are you having with the box? I've got the H6 outback with the auto and it seems OK to me but it is only my second auto (and the first was a van). It does occasionally jolt when it drops into 3rd and makes some odd choices of appropriate gear sometimes but is that not the case with most autos? 

Ah, yes mine does that too. I assumed it was programmed like that on purpose when it senses you want to accelerate harder than usual so holds it in gear longer but it does seem a bit inconsistent in when it decides to do it. 

No news:

Leaf got an MOT last week. 10k since we got it. We were in the beer garden of the boat inn when I was sent a picture of an exhaust probe jammed in somewhere, no advisories. It then had a blown bulb this morning which was swapped for an osram nightbreaker I had in stock.

Scooby ran up 1000 miles on hols no bother, getting 29mpg each way and 26 round Herefordshire.

GSR took a dishwasher to the tip last night, and the whole family out to St John's Chapel tonight to look at a bit of land with a barn on it. The lights and suspension are shit, but I like it.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like you're going even more low budget than me if you're getting a phase one.  Electric handbrake scared me off!

That handbrake, and the gash heater, put me off.

But most of the handbrakes don't break. And if the range is enough then the heater is fine. Our MIEV has an equally gash heater and the range is ample for our "running into the nearest town and back" needs.

I have the same heater, I'm not sure from reading into it that when you really need it ( 3 degrees or lower) that the heat pump is more efficient.

If you're to sort to drive round at 22C all day, then yes, it's a bigger issue.

No news:

when I was sent a picture of an exhaust probe jammed in somewhere, no advisories.

hope that was a taking the piss shot :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-12-NISSAN-LEAF-E-ACENTA-80kw-24kWh-AUTO-FULL-EV-BATTERY-OWNED-0-RFL/132746512734

them graphs and the let it run down things confuse me..............

itd be 99.8% living in town id go nowhere near it cos range anxiety :lol:

like all nissans does fek all break unless its a diesel :D

• 2 weeks later...

Today I parked in Grainger town multi storey.

A charging bay was free, so I pulled in and plugged in. The 330e in the next bar was over the line.

The charger was a "charge your car" one, which as usual looked like it was working, but fucking didn't. At least I didn't actually need to charge.

When I set off I had a bonus dash light on I'd never seen before. Apparently it's low 12v battery.

Tomorrow I will take my jump pack, just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

Help me, oh autoshite massive.

I think I need something a tiny bit bigger and more modern than the Baleno GSR, but with similar pace and a 1.8 or 2.0 engine. It should be mid nineties to mid naughties, take two child seats in the back, manage 35 mpg if not thrashed, be fast enough not to feel dead in comparison to the Subaru and the Leaf, and ride okay. The Mrs must not regard it as a "tin box", so that puts most older and smaller cars out of the window.

I'm worryingly starting to think that a 206gti might fit the bill. The 136s can be made to ride okay with 16 inch wheels, and the one I have in pieces in Scary's yard isn't rotten, though I've gotten rid of enough of it to be impossible to put back together.

What competitors should I also look at?

Clio 172

Leon Cupra

MINI

Civic type R

Focus ST170

Rover 200vi

All seem to hold their value better than the unloved puglet (and I can't stretch to sporty spice's as well as insuring it)

The mini and the focus will drink too much, and I've already had a Toledo 20vt, so I'm considering that box ticked.

Would also be happy to look at cars with slightly smaller engines as long as they still haul themselves along pretty well.

No diesels. I'd be pleased to hear off the wall suggestions, particularly things which might not be marketed as being sporty, but will enjoy both being used as "mum's taxi" and for midnight rallying with a 2 year old co-driver.

I'd like something with some steering feel too, I've had too many Nissans and Mazdas (MX-5 excluded)