🚨L1's euro♦️ shenanigans 🍷🚨

loserone

With the w211 out of the way, I am using the s124 for the school run.

PXL_20240304_075744757.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.7c7446bc145603ba727156a7abef0392.jpg

PXL_20240304_081028276.thumb.jpg.af651463d23c3b079355adba60d21fd2.jpg

Today my new* stereo arrived, so I looked at the s124 this lunchtime.  

PXL_20240304_130252147.thumb.jpg.7b4f29e0fb49059e3a723e3ceedea1ea.jpg

PXL_20240304_123942543.thumb.jpg.3c27dd78e77b24741da0437ebba09e43.jpg

The speaker wires seem to be pretty decent, and there's new pioneer speakers in all the slots.

However, the ISO connection leaves something to be desired.

PXL_20240304_123947520_MP.thumb.jpg.86c15de7535c392372b4d28b5ee07758.jpg

Whats the best / cheapest/ simplest solution to this? I guess I want an iso harness with some bullet connectors for the speakers and then figure out which of these two* wires are ground, live, ign and auto aerial?

@philibusmo is this making you sweat, or a normal day at the office?

33 minutes ago, loserone said:

Whats the best / cheapest/ simplest solution to this? I guess I want an iso harness with some bullet connectors for the speakers and then figure out which of these two* wires are ground, live, ign and auto aerial?

@philibusmo is this making you sweat, or a normal day at the office?

You're pretty much right there. The easiest and cheapest way to get this sorted is to add a couple of ISO connectors, either with bullet/crimp connectors or soldering it into the original wiring. Makes it nice and easy to remove the radio if you sell the car and fit whatever crap is for sale in the middle aisle of Lidl that week.

As for tracing the wiring, without a speaker tester then its quite difficult to work out which set of wiring will go to which speaker to connect to the correct outputs of the radio. If its easy to get the speakers out then you can disconnect the wires from the speakers and test the continuity to them down the different speaker wires. If you're luck then someone will have used the standard wiring colours, complete colour is positive and black stripe is negative:

White = left front
Grey = right front
Green = left rear
Purple = right rear

As for the power side, finding the permanent 12v and switched 12v should be easy with a multimeter. The earth equally should have continuity to any body earth and not output 12v.  You may also have an illumination wire which will only output 12v with the lights on and that should leave the electric aerial output. If you have doubts on this one then just try touching the permanent 12v to it and listed for the aerial motor going.

A word of warning on the electric aerial, the 12v output on the radio will work whenever the radio is on (even if not using FM)  as it is also used to turn on an amplifier if fitted, which will mean the aerial will be up whenever the set is on. Some Chinese sets (and newer Blaupunkt radios have Chinese internals) don't stop outputting 12v until the ignition is off. 

If you want to only have the aerial up while the radio is set to FM then you'll need to put another inline switch into this to be able to manually get it to extend or retract.

Wiring colours for power ISO:

Black = earth
Yellow = permanent 12v
Red = ign 12v
Orange = Illumination
Blue = 12v output

I've got ISO cables with bare ends that I use to make cables, if you want a pair then I can send them out for £7 but they are quite widely available and cheap so you may well find some locally at the same sort of money.

Many, many thanks to @doug for the manuals.  What a hero!

Just had a quick test of the sunroof in the quiet, the motor is running but presumably the cable isn't connected.  Who puts an electric sunroof motor in the boot?!

PXL_20240228_170437446.jpg

• loserone changed the title to 🚨L1's euro♦️ shenanigans 🍷🚨
  • 3 weeks later...
On 06/03/2024 at 16:56, loserone said:

Thanks for the help.  Very handy!

How are you finding the stereo? I've got that one and it just says 'Reading' most of the times on the CD and whilst my phone 'connects' to it, the stereo won't have 'BT - STREAM' as an option, I'll just scroll through endless DAB options I don't want and its just not got the streaming option. I spend most drives in total silence. 

Sometimes it will connect or play the CD but will randomly stop playing the music, I'll need to mute it and un mute it to make it come out again. 

'Absolutely wank' is my experience so far. 

Plus it leaves a second gap between songs on the CDs, which is gash on a mix CD. 

10 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

How are you finding the stereo? I've got that one and it just says 'Reading' most of the times on the CD and whilst my phone 'connects' to it, the stereo won't have 'BT - STREAM' as an option, I'll just scroll through endless DAB options I don't want and its just not got the streaming option. I spend most drives in total silence. 

Interesting.  

In the Clio it was faultless.  Love it. @Tickman seems to be enjoying his too. Unfortunately I sold the Clio yesterday.

In the Merc it works fine for 2 minutes then the sound stops coming out.  Still looks like it's working, but it's silent.

I put a shitty Sony in there which works for 2 minutes then says "CD FAILURE".  Despite this the CD continues to play.  

Yeah, I'm probably gonna bin the fecker and put in another. Might try the AUX but am not holding my breath. 

Have you tried pressing mute twice to see if it comes back on, sounds similar to one of my regular faults. 

@HillmanImp the one I have doesn't have a cd player in so can't comment on that.

With Bluetooth if I play stuff on the phone and go through the source choices I get to BT Stream and it just works.

Does your model have streaming and not just calls?

23 minutes ago, Tickman said:

@HillmanImp the one I have doesn't have a cd player in so can't comment on that.

With Bluetooth if I play stuff on the phone and go through the source choices I get to BT Stream and it just works.

Does your model have streaming and not just calls?

Yeah, it works sometimes. Most of the time not though. 

I get a message on my phone asking to connect to Blaupunkt which I agree to, my phone says its connected to Blaupunkt, keep hitting the SRC button but the stereo doesn't have an option for BT-STREAM, except for the times it does, which isnt very often. 

• 2 weeks later...