🚨L1's euro♦️ shenanigans 🍷🚨

loserone

13 minutes ago, loserone said:

When I got the 405 back from @scaryoldcortina on Thursday after he replace all the brake pipes for me, it seemed a bit clunky in the boot.

IMG-20190726-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.5948be40acd552667f018b2e4514dfd1.jpeg

Oh!

Andy basically said it broke at the wrong time for him, so he just replaced it with a better one and threw it in a pile with an unknown fault.  If anyone knows scary's yard, he has a couple of piles of stuff like this.  One of them is mine, actually, and is mostly pieces of Peugeot.

I got it turned on on Saturday morning, and this is what it did.

Great, not a lot.  Fan works, but sweet FA when pulling the trigger.  There's no spool on it btw.

I dug about to see what might be up.

Fuse?

IMG-20190727-WA0002.thumb.jpeg.cf519789e177fe1722ebbff088d9f68a.jpeg

Looks reet.

I'll check a couple of voltages on the board.

IMG-20190727-WA0010.thumb.jpeg.e48be2cf2e7aea78a46dbaf7298356ce.jpeg

Lucky, stupid fucker.

Anyway, I reset two MCBs and an RCD and went back to it, finding that there was no 12v anywhere.

IMG-20190727-WA0012.thumb.jpeg.d1a9e7fb20ce0c2f7b0a7212dd576c33.jpeg

Meaning this transformer is fucked.

£6 later, I ordered the same thing from RS components, and today it arrived.IMG-20190729-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.214e76dcae5ca2f7dbfc1dbcacfdf0d8.jpeg

And now?

Grand.

It does strike an arc too, but I have no gas, wire, visor, bucket of water, or a bunch of other stuff either.  However, this will be an important step forward in fixing up the 305.

• 2 weeks later...

@puddlethumper here: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283564254430

My two are genuine ones.

DIVISIVE POLITICAL ASIDE: It was learned after I bought them that the seller is a Kipper, so you will have to decide if you are happy to support potentially racist persons, or if it's a non issue.

I reckon there's probably quite a lot of kippers, and not all of them are necessarily racists, so avoiding them might not be such a big deal. YMMV.

Quick fleet summary:

LEAF: leafy.  

Legacy: stereo broken.  Up for sale.

405 estate: still sitting

405 saloon; roffled, ready for draw.

305: seems to be running fine with its new fuel hose and filter setup.

205: various maladies fixed, needs a main beam tell tale.  Bought a set of clock off eBay which seem to be in worse nick.  Will probably just solder up and send them back.  Aim to get it tested next week.

306; new in.

306:

99miles in.  Temp guage varies quite a bit. May need to get the laser thermometer out as it doesn't make sense unless both the thermostat is stuck open and the rad fan doesn't come on, even when the AC is on.  I should probably also go and check that it has a fan, the fan operates, etc.  Anyway, it swings between 70 and 100 on the temp guage.

It's the first car I've ever had with an oil level guage.

Idle is usually ok, except when it isn't.  Drove through Durham and had to restart it 6 times - every time I stopped or disengaged.  And then it's fine again.

It is a teensy bit cramped inside; the biggest one has to have his feet on the back of the seat in front; still, this facilitates reading modern railways magazine.

IMG_20190810_141306.thumb.jpg.3c7aa4af4621452ae09ca816877583b5.jpg

Still, it's quiet enough for sleep

IMG_20190810_154127.thumb.jpg.88af2172c708ebb5d982b9d6a1852c90.jpg

And the boot will take three flight cases under the roof, so it's pretty likely we'll take it to France.

• 4 weeks later...

Fleet update.

205: pissed MOT and went to join @davehedgehog31 in the land of many Volvos until its new keeper shows herself.

305: just did a 300+mile trip to Chodmondely and back over the weekend, with the whole family.  It's an ace steer over country lanes, and can cruise at 77 on the motorways.  Still has an issue with cutting out whenever you pull up to stop / pause.  Consensus is that it's the tank strainer.  Would have looked it it tonight but the wind blew two windows out of the garage whilst we were away so I've been reglazing them.

306: Exhaust squeaking is beginning to get on my tits, but it's otherwise running well, getting 40+ mpg and taking me to work with the roof down.  Radiator fan was a relay, thermostat seems to open a bit early but might just be an inaccurate temp guage.

405 estate: no progress.

LEAF: Some fucker turned right from a left turn lane on a roundabout and it's scraped to fuck.  Excess paid, it's almost certainly going knock for knock as Mrs L1 should really have not turned off the roundabout when the other lane wasn't clear, despite the clear lane markings.  Getting picked up by a body shop on Wednesday.

Legacy: stereo fixed.  Up for sale. Going to wash and hoover it and get it on eBay this week hopefully, Mrs L1 has just brimmed it so it would surely sell immediately.