🚨L1's euro♦️ shenanigans 🍷🚨

loserone

Found the 206 I'm bidding on (reserve not met) on gumtree for £850.

Knowing how much I can spend without Mrs L1 kicking off - the auction ends on Saturday and it's her birthday on Friday - I won't win it.

More saving required.

Slight domestic this evening, apparently a third car wouldn't be used enough, would cost millions of pounds over the year and that's not why she's taken up work. So it's been vetoed.

Never mind the fact I sold the GSR mostly due to her attitude that it was a tin box, and we needed something "safer".

I'm still winning the 206

This week I've twice done a double-commute; to work to pick up colleagues, then on past Newcastle to one of our suppliers' offices.  This has been about 80 miles round trip, which would be brave in the Leaf, so I've been using the Legacy, fresh from it's oil change courtesy of ScaryOldCortina.

The biggest shock was getting into a cold car, having to run the engine for 5 minutes whilst scraping the windscreen, then having a cold engine for the first 5 miles or so.

In the leaf, I literally get into a warm car and just go flat out straightaway.  It's the future..

• 4 weeks later...

Fleet update:

Legacy needed a bulb yesterday.  I bought it a towbar and haven't had it fitted yet.

Leaf needed a bulb when it got back from it's MOT.  Lucky.  It's currently being driven round the county by my wife's soon to be sister in law, who is bemused by the steering wheel being on the wrong side and the lack of priorite a droite. 

I apparently won a BMW which has broken itself before I've seen it.

My Peugeots haven't moved in.. a while.

The idea of an economical second commuter car has been embraced, as long as it's electric.  That's going to cost a bit then.  We were going to go and look at a big batteried i3 before the MiL went into hospital with suspected kidney cancer, which is obviously putting everything off a bit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, it's still brilliant. Think we've done 14k in it now, plus 12k in the legacy and a bit in the GSR, the MGF and some other bits and bobs over the last year. Electric just works, and is suitable for nearly every day to day journey.

We were looking at getting a second one possibly, and I think it would cost more than we paid a year plus ago. Mental. Hence looking at i3s, 206GTIs and eventually buying an MGF which appears to be what I'm using for my commute on the days mrs_l1 is working. A RWD electric coupe would be best really, I don't need to be carting a family car with me to and fro work and would rather be able to rag around with the tail out.

• 2 weeks later...

a little while ago we decided it would be useful to have a towbar.

I actually have one, it's just on the 405, which makes it useless. Anyway, I figured since the leaf can't tow, an H6 Subaru ought to do. Unfortunately every towbar I bought online had the order cancelled, apparently Witter had just moved warehouse and couldn't find anything.

Eventually a cheap German one turned up, and I got it delivered before Christmas. Christmas turned out to be a bit shit, and there was an MGF distraction, so last Friday afternoon the legacy went to Scaryoldcortina's yard for an afternoon of towbar fitting.

1200hrs: unpack the towbar. Looks good, all bits present.

post-4015-0-80983700-1550869544_thumb.jpg

Andy reads the instructions:

post-4015-0-11883200-1550869579_thumb.jpg

Remove the bumper? That should be no bother, right?

A number of no longer captive nuts later...

1600hrs:

post-4015-0-74678900-1550869655_thumb.jpg

What the fuck, Subaru?

Inside the bumper "is" an aluminium reinforcement

post-4015-0-42732400-1550869724_thumb.jpg

It's made of this:

post-4015-0-83892200-1550869774_thumb.jpg

You then need to remove the headshields:

post-4015-0-87928400-1550869816_thumb.jpg

That looks like it was easy. You won't need to remove the bolt that was supposed to hold it in though, right?

post-4015-0-20731800-1550869870_thumb.jpg

Oh, you do.

Still at least

post-4015-0-45703600-1550869918_thumb.jpg

I, er..

post-4015-0-14747900-1550869948_thumb.jpg

Oh.

Scary then set to work straightening the chassis rails using the towbar inserts, in order that I have a straight car and a fitting towbar. Soon it came time to look at the electrics, which are conveniently in the left hand side of the boot floor.

Or here.

post-4015-0-68312000-1550870049_thumb.jpg

Eventually it all came together, and Rico's safrane stopped FTPIng and jumping the queue.

post-4015-0-79355700-1550870127_thumb.jpg

Now I should at least be able to hitch something up. Cheers Scary!