🚨L1's euro♦️ shenanigans 🍷🚨

loserone

Cheers for the write up on this, I currently have a 60 mile round trip commute so although we're still a couple of grand away from depreciation making it viable they're definitely on their way, if I was planning on keeping my job for a few more years then I would be trying to squeeze the man maths a bit more.

I'm looking forward to the charger install, I think our real issue would be we currently only have power in the garage / driveway through a minimum work done extension / mcb and I'm not sure it would be straight forward to install a charger which would increase the costs somewhat.

Another minor update: Charging point installed today, installer was very complementary of 'the electrician''s wiring in the garage and was working from rules of thumb for the install.  I now have a 6mmT+E running down the garage and to the charger, the conduit matches the conduit used elsewhere in the garage, and the rod for the garage's separate TT system has been confirmed to be putting up 42Ohms. (which is almost exactly what 'the electrician' figured out using a Camry battery deemed inadequate for LS400ing and a multi meter).

I didn't mention that the clamp for the earth rod was discovered to be snapped in two on Sunday (no idea, suspect frost damage and cheap ebay parts), and that, basically bedridden with norovirus, it's been bodged together with a bit filed out near the crack so it grips the rod better.  A new better quality clamp is on it's way.

All of this is fiction, by the way, officer, those working in building control and elsewhere. It's like those threads where people boast of doing 130MPH round the M25.  And I live in France.

Anyway, I forgot that I hadn't actually bought a charging cable, so there's one on the way.

Not half as scary as watching the price whizz up on a garage fuel pump though, eh?

Most of the leccy you buy is actually electrons (95% I think) compared with petrol or diesel only being 30-35% hydrocarbons (because tax). And probably 80%+ of electricity will be used to make your car move compared with less than 30% with liquid fuel.

So £75 or so out of every 100 which your wallet coughs up is used in moving an EV compared with maybe £9 for your oily machine. Add in zero road tax, much lower servicing and repair costs, an engine smoother and quieter than a Jag V12 with steam engine torque and it grows ever clearer that with improving batteries and charging infrastructure, cars with sumps, clutches, cambelts and exhausts are going to be cheaper than ever to buy second hand, once the public cottons on.

Journey to work (Temps between -5 and -9) took 30% of the battery this morning. heating set to 21c throughout. This would be fine, but I also found a free charging bay in the work car park (there's four bays and 9 plug in cars, mostly outlander phevs) so I'm now fully charged for the way home.

Eco mode gives nice delicate throttle input for black ice. Only a scooby would have been more comfortable.

Right, I'm going to see the wildhearts on Wednesday, and I'm going in this.  I think DodgyTom (pbuh) would be proud of my efforts.

It's going to be at least two rapid charges there and back, and possibly three.  I'm already nervous.

Yeah, I'm totally convinced that it's completely impractical for long journeys.  It was five rapid charges in the end.

Fortunately I do about 14k a year that's nothing to do with long journeys, so I can easily justify having two working cars.  I can also justify a thirstier petrol car, because I'm not using it for 14k a year of commuting and shopping trips..

Yeah, I'm totally convinced that it's completely impractical for long journeys.  It was five rapid charges in the end.

Fortunately I do about 14k a year that's nothing to do with long journeys, so I can easily justify having two working cars.  I can also justify a thirstier petrol car, because I'm not using it for 14k a year of commuting and shopping trips..

This. Exactly this.

Apologies if this is obvious and you've already figured it out, but - you can "start" the Leaf up while it's charging on a rapid, select 30C and max fan speed, and it will heat the interior up toasty warm for you using the power from the rapid. Very helpful in cold weather and little-to-no impact on charging time thanks to the very conservative BMS in the 24kWh Leaf which limits charging speed - ie the Rapid can supply more than the Leaf will take (for charging) almost all the time you're connected.

What sort of speed did you cruise at? Is there a speed above which the consumption really rockets?

I'd be quite happy with only 80 miles per charge with a cheapish EV, let people pay five or six times more for a new one with a 200+ mile range but surely unless you're commuting crazy distances there's no need.

Heated m/bike clothing for longer trips in cold weather could improve range by a few miles...