Datsuncog's Heaps: Sept 2023 - Another Year's T-Met Exemption Certificate...

Datsuncog

Verdict:

IMG_20230914_1851172.thumb.jpg.6654dd3ada9fa64a23e71271dcd82828.jpg

Ah, FFS.

IMG_20230914_1852092.thumb.jpg.85846e7bdaf5660229804420af5ed928.jpg

There's a leak at a connector. Of course there's a leak.

I'll have to take it back down to the Mechanic of Choice again.

I mean, I guess I'd sooner know that there's leak in the brake lines so I can take an action to fix it - rather than drive around not knowing until something quite bad happens - but still, I absolutely don't need this shiz right now with everything else going on.

This disrupts quite a few plans.

Fucksticks.

In fairness, the tester did look very sheepish as he gave me the bad news - starting with, "I can see you've had a lot of work done under there, but..."

Well, that rather knocked me for six as I'd kinda assumed that the re-test was a mere formality - and if anything was going to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, it was going to be the bloody EML putting on an encore performance that no-one very much wanted.

Hot damn.

Well, there was evidently a conversation to be had with the Mechanic of Choice.

So, mindful that he'd mentioned he was having to stay late at the workshop to try to clear the backlog, I thought I'd swing by and see what was what. Maybe just leave the car if possible, rather than have to go home and then call back down again another day.

Arriving down there around 7.30, the workshop lights were still on, and he was deep in conversation with a lady who was being mildly passive-aggressive over a £540 bill on her Bini outside. Clocking me arriving with a fail slip in hand did not, presumably, improve matters.

With Mrs Bini finally pacified and sent away, I explained what had transpired up at the test centre. MoC looked pained, but at least something wholly mechanical might be less of an annoyance than the reappearance of the EML...

IMG_20230914_1945502.thumb.jpg.a1a606a6a5303394ab5b1731e2929f3c.jpg

So I brought it on round to the workshop, and he hoisted the wee Toyota up on a spare two-post.

Yes, it's looking pretty crusty under there. I know.

IMG_20230914_1946352.thumb.jpg.a3910d728e0494fd2e5a089e743db9dd.jpg

New lines were all present and correct, but there was indeed a tiny - tiny - drop of brake fluid visible at the union where the new lines met the old lines.

MoC shook his head. "If I were the tester, I'd have told you to take it back to the garage to get that nipped up, and given you a pass."

So, he duly nipped it up, and then I got to go up in the lift to stomp on the brake pedal a whole bunch of times to check it definitely wasn't leaking now.

IMG_20230914_1947052.thumb.jpg.8b01f3fadc4974e6ad9f350d074d2ab4.jpg

But it is looking pretty crispy under there, no question.

We had a bit of a chat for a while once it was down off the ramp, as he was looking pretty frazzled by everything, and I gave him a bit of a hug before I left cos he looked like he needed one.

Look after your mechanics, people.

And then I logged back on to the DVA site to see if there were any last-minute test slots available soonish.

Well well well.

Screenshot_20230914-2050582.thumb.png.180fbc2373c9f7deaee3da8c738f23cc.png

That's soon.

Very soon.

In fact - I gotta go...

Bloody hell, I didn't think Larne even had internet connection that fast!

In fact, I just assumed at the end of the day they shoved all the test results into a basket tied onto the back of a pig, smacked its arse, and sent it running back to Belfast for someone with opposable thumbs and a working knowledge of the alphabet to input onto the DVA system...

(Other hyper-local regional slurs are available)

• Datsuncog changed the title to Datsuncog's Heaps: Sept 2023 - Another Year's T-Met Exemption Certificate...

It's up to MrsDC, it's her car - I've been telling her for years it's looking pretty bad underneath, but I keep thumping at it expecting the worst and it's not gone into holes yet; just a crispy crunchy coating.

I know it's going to die, she knows it's going to die, but the prevailing attitude is: keep 'er running til she'll run no more. And then we'll find a replacement.

And, given that this particular Yaris has outlasted twelve of my cars, who am I to argue?

My preference is that she should get the Corolla - she's very fond of E110 Corollas, always wanted one - and I'll look out for something more interesting for myself, but who knows?

The immediate pressure's been removed, at least, so I can get back to the house renovation!