Datsuncog's Heaps: Sept 2023 - Another Year's T-Met Exemption Certificate...

Datsuncog

7 hours ago, dave j said:

This thread has taught me that if buying a Subaru, make sure it has 12 months MOT so you can get a few months use our of it before it completely dissolves!

I guess your next car may not be another Subaru?

Indeed - they're great cars to drive, absolutely glorious, but at this end of the market it appears that there's not always much left in various critical areas! It's a factory rustproofing issue, essentially - I may be looking to some Swedish tin as a replacement, as from previous experience they may know how to cope a bit better with salty roads...

6 hours ago, Minimad5 said:

Jesus christ, those drop links look like they've lived in the sea.

Sorry to hear that this has also been bitten by the rust bug. Shame as the interior, engine and gearbox are all pretty good.

Just glad collectively (we the Autoshite folk) have been able to keep it on the road for so long. If i had another shell I'd be tempted to buy yours for the engine alone.

Yeah, it's running really well and is so nice to drive. The heated seats are phenomenal too - I'll really miss them.

The fella at the garage is due to get back to me later to let me know how he's getting on, so I'll pass any information on to the collective here...

It's nobody's fault, it's just the way old cars are - some you win, some you lose. But indeed, it's given a fair few of us on here an enjoyable coupla months of flat-four ownership! At this end of the market no guarantees can be given or demanded - I paid more for my XM estate twelve years ago, and it turned out to be significantly more irrevocably fucked. That's cars. That's life. If nothing else, it gave me a good excuse for a collection adventure - so there's absolutely no hard feelings towards anyone on here.

CarTakeBack have offered me £330 for it, but I'm minded to try selling it locally for the engine - might get a bit more, and I daresay the cats are worth having too.

But if the garage can at least get it running and stopping safely, it may do us until after we're moved - which will hopefully be before May.

At least it'll give me a bit longer to find something new!

• Datsuncog changed the title to Datsuncog's Heaps: 10/02/22 - Outbackery Obituary?
5 hours ago, hairnet said:

montego would be good but i think the last four words :D

Funny you should say that; MrsDC is quite partial to a Toledo/ Dolemite, so if the move to a house with a garage goes ahead as planned, then I wouldn't rule it out...

The Montego, maybe less so for spousal approval!

4 hours ago, artdjones said:

How are Subaru still going? What with 1970s style rust resistance and designing a diesel engine that destroys itself.

I really don't know - I had a look at the dealer range a few years ago, and was pretty unimpressed. Diesel and autobox only, and stupid automatic boot closer devices.

I asked the sales guy how that would work if I was transporting planks out the back and wanted to lash the boot semi-closed using bungee cords, and he just looked confused...

I very much doubt they'll still be selling in the UK in two years' time. If Mitsubishi and Daihatsu have fled these shores, I can't see Subaru hanging on for much longer either.

15 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

Funny you should say that; MrsDC is quite partial to a Toledo/ Dolemite, so if the move to a house with a garage goes ahead as planned, then I wouldn't rule it out...

The Montego, maybe less so for spousal approval!

I really don't know - I had a look at the dealer range a few years ago, and was pretty unimpressed. Diesel and autobox only, and stupid automatic boot closer devices.

I asked the sales guy how that would work if I was transporting planks out the back and wanted to lash the boot semi-closed using bungee cords, and he just looked confused...

I very much doubt they'll still be selling in the UK in two years' time. If Mitsubishi and Daihatsu have fled these shores, I can't see Subaru hanging on for much longer either.

Sorry to hear your ongoing bad luck with the Scoobs. At least you have time to hopefully sort a replacement in the meantime whilst the MOT continues to tick over. 

I didn't realise the current range is so far removed from their heyday. I owned a classic Impreza turbo years back - it was about ten years old but unusually rot-free. Most were already becoming a bit ginger around the edges even then. 

Coincidentally, I spotted one of these on the road earlier, in this very colour. Never seen one before and not sure I want to see one again. 

subaru-xv-european-spec_100362864_l.jpg

14 hours ago, 320touring said:

Wrong type of Toledo @Datsuncog...

13 hours ago, hairnet said:

not that kinda toledo - speak to the scottish man he'll see you right (enuff)

gifb :D

Ahhhh... I don't tend to spend much time on the Sales forum, so I hadn't clocked it was that Toledo being referenced, of the Catalonian rather than Canley variety... I still thought we were still riffing on Captain70s' Triumph weldathon, or something...

(It's been a long few days.)

The big SEAT is absolutely lovely - and keenly priced for such a rarity, I really can't remember when I last saw one in the metal. Our next door neighbour bought one new in about 1992, to replace his Citroen AX - I thought it looked weirdly Eastern Bloc, somehow. It was originally red, but after about two years was very much pink.

I'd love such a motor, though I fear I'd only ruin it - and it deserves better than being my first-string hack!

I do hope to be in the market for mebbe a Triumph Dolomite or Toledo later in the year, though...

Well, the Outback was retrieved from the Mechanic of Choice this morning - with a few bits and pieces done. MrsDC was kind enough to run me down to the premises.

IMG_20220214_105824.thumb.jpg.3b63e3d1929eb0401d4effeec236fa37.jpg

Handbrake has been nipped up and now feels much more positive. Belt squeal has been reduced, though there's still a bit of a chirp when manoeuvring - and there's a definite grumble coming from a belt idler, somewhere.

The brakes feel marginally better now the calipers have been cleaned up, though there's still some rubbing noises when cornering.

The ABS light is still on, and it's supposed that this is down to the rear discs, which are not very happy.

The EML is also still on, though at least I can switch that off for a short while using the OBD2 dongle. There is quite a strong smell of fuel evident while the car's running, plus some pale grey smoke, which I'd guess points to some sort of engine issue rather than just the sensor acting up.

But it's the state of the underneath which gave the garage proprietor teh fearz, and which is unlikely to help it much come MOT time.

So. I'm guessing my two options are either:

Try to flog the Outback on right now with three days of 'official' MOT left (it expires on Thursday) for something like £500, and buy a snotter of unknown provenance for around the £1000 mark (which could quite easily shit itself and put me back in the exact same place again in short order),

OR

Keep running it until the end of April (the tax is due on 1 May) under the current Northern Ireland lenience arrangements due to the MOT backlog - and then scrap it at that point, for probably not all that much less.

277333576_Screenshot_20220210-0136252.thumb.png.87905522cba6ea3f293289196dee0b12.png

At present, you can keep driving your car without an MOT so long as you still have valid tax and you have an MOT date booked. I have an MOT booked for the first available date given to me - 17 May -  which is after the tax expires, annoyingly, but still gives me a bit of leeway. You can't re-tax your car without a valid MOT.

I was quite interested in this...

553421157_Screenshot_20220214-1132072.thumb.png.7068f0c7e27a92fcd66dcf75d7de2c4e.png

1032568988_Screenshot_20220214-1132352.thumb.png.113e476f585dee36a9f6bf542bfb31c3.png

1298803834_Screenshot_20220214-1133022.thumb.png.a52fec138a7d66bbb7e8a386bbf3c143.png

But there seems to be some confusion over the MOT, as the ad says 'full years mot from April', whereas the DVLA checker says it expired yesterday.

1939673768_Screenshot_20220214-1320022.thumb.png.a47539f998ede37d80d4403731fce977.png

Hmm.

Further thought required, mebbe...

I’ve heard mumblings suggesting that the DVLA check shouldn’t be taken as gospel at the moment. Make further enquiries maybe. 

Can you engage in some sort of clever SORN then quickly re-tax shuffle in order to extend the Subaru’s licence beyond the MOT date?

Yup, I've sent the lad with the Volvo a message just to clarify what the status is - it's possible that he's recently MOT'd it six weeks early, and as a result it now has an MOT running to the start of April 2023.

Which would be handy, if so.

I had a look through its previous MOTs over in England (originally a Birmingham car?), and other than an advisory for sill corrosion, it all seems not too bad - fails on stupid stuff like tyres and bulbs, with a few issues around suspension bushes and the like.

I'd thought about doing some jiggery-pokery with SORN and whatnot, but the loss of the rest of the month's tax in the refund (plus having to re-tax from the start of February) might not make much difference to add two weeks or so to the current span.

I'm leaning towards moving the Subaru on sooner rather than later...

I think in your position, especially as you're also house hunting, I'd run it as long as is legal then bin it off, rather than dealing with the great unwashed messing you about regarding viewing the car, haggling etc. 

Gives you a little bit of breathing space to find a replacement and get it checked over

Sorry to see this Tim, its all a bit disappointing luck you’ve had to be honest, especially as you're moving home as well.

Personally I'd get shot of it as soon as you find something else. It sounds long time fucked bodily. Your mechanic's description of it indicates there is nothing much left of the rear chassis to protect you/Mrs DC if some dummy runs up the back of the car. It's a shame as I recall it having had a peen of mechanical work done like belts and clutch.

Happy to assist with a lift/viewing of potential replacements if they're on my patch.

Yup, I've sent the lad with the Volvo a message just to clarify what the status is - it's possible that he's recently MOT'd it six weeks early, and as a result it now has an MOT running to the start of April 2023.
Which would be handy, if so.
I had a look through its previous MOTs over in England (originally a Birmingham car?), and other than an advisory for sill corrosion, it all seems not too bad - fails on stupid stuff like tyres and bulbs, with a few issues around suspension bushes and the like.
I'd thought about doing some jiggery-pokery with SORN and whatnot, but the loss of the rest of the month's tax in the refund (plus having to re-tax from the start of February) might not make much difference to add two weeks or so to the current span.
I'm leaning towards moving the Subaru on sooner rather than later...
Corrosion unusual on these as they are part galvanised.

Probably the sweet spot for the D5 before it gained omg Euro whatever complications. Should be bomb proof. Between myself and my colleague (you met him collecting the small scooter!) we've owned a fair few in estate and saloon guise.

This being the pre facelift it will have Renault electrics, post facelift gained a ford can-bus system which was much better - the Renault stuff can suffer from complete instrument cluster failure, but I *think* it was only the very early P2 cars that suffered. Certainly one of mine went and I had to have the cluster sent away and reworked.

I think my S60 D5 thread is still floating around here somewhere - I had some issues with a lift pump amongst other things. Ultimately everything on them is easily worked with and sensibly thought out. Possibly the last true Volvo.

Oh - turning circle is comically bad.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

On 14/02/2022 at 13:21, Datsuncog said:

buy a snotter of unknown provenance for around the £1000 mark (which could quite easily shit itself and put me back in the exact same place again in short order),

Want a CR-V? Am sure between us and the neighbours we could get it to a port for you.

On 2/15/2022 at 10:20 AM, They_all_do_that_sir said:

Corrosion unusual on these as they are part galvanised.

Probably the sweet spot for the D5 before it gained omg Euro whatever complications. Should be bomb proof. Between myself and my colleague (you met him collecting the small scooter!) we've owned a fair few in estate and saloon guise.

This being the pre facelift it will have Renault electrics, post facelift gained a ford can-bus system which was much better - the Renault stuff can suffer from complete instrument cluster failure, but I *think* it was only the very early P2 cars that suffered. Certainly one of mine went and I had to have the cluster sent away and reworked.

I think my S60 D5 thread is still floating around here somewhere - I had some issues with a lift pump amongst other things. Ultimately everything on them is easily worked with and sensibly thought out. Possibly the last true Volvo.

Oh - turning circle is comically bad.

From what I've heard, they really are pretty good, so that's good to have further affirmation - not all that economical, agreed, but that's not so much an issue after two Subarus (and a redblock 240 some years back). The Yaris is plenty good enough for round town motoring duties... and when it comes to terrible turning circles, I'm not sure if much could beat the Alfa 156...

Yer man in Lisburn hasn't responded about the red V70, so I'll assume it's sold already. But I'll be keeping an eye out for any others that come up on the classifieds.

At least I'm not stuck - the Outback may be on its way out, but it's not undrivable like the Forester was.

This week's turning into an absolute head-melter in a whirlwind of house viewings, estate agents and solicitors, and I think I may just need to park the car issue for a wee while... maybe come back and start looking seriously in March.

There's quite a nice Saab 9-5 wagon in Belfast for £700, but again it's out of MOT so not much use until a testing slot can be arranged.

Saab_9-5_Estate_classified_FB.thumb.jpg.2f6774369ac4c7b189ecdbdfd539ade5.jpg

Cars, hey?!

I liked the '03 V70 we had, great engine (2.4 petrol), and the most comfortable seats ever.  Also a really good looking lump I thought.

However, they do rust (sills and back arches), handle like a really fast boat, and are absolutely useless in any snow... like scarily bad, I was amazed.  Xc70 would I presume do a lot better, but I found out pretty quick why our corner of the Highlands is littered with Outbacks, not Ovlovs!

Have been very sorry to read of the Subaru's demise by the way, but I sold it into the forum in the hope that it could at least 'do someone a turn', and it at least did that I think.  I miss the car's unique capabilities and character, and would have another.  

To be fair to Subaru, most cars die of rust pretty quickly up here, to anyone unfamiliar with the area, the amount of salt that goes down is quite frankly ridiculous.  I drove behind a gritter doing its thing tonight, in the absolutely pouring rain, it'll obviously all be washed away by the time it gets cold tonight, but doing a grand job of corroding our cars on its way.

Good luck with the car/house search!

10 hours ago, EML said:

https://www.facebook.com/100057646441915/posts/394105022521043/

V70 Cross country

5 pot petrol,  not sure if these have a snail on for extra power or not. Looks a cheap bit of steam.  Seeing as you've been used to subaru Mpg's  this shouldnt scare you.  

9 months ticket

Screenshot_20220216-102314_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220216-102326_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220216-102329_Facebook.jpg

That's nice - looks really decent!

8 hours ago, loserone said:

Want a CR-V? Am sure between us and the neighbours we could get it to a port for you.

Cheers for that!

After a fair bit of thought, I'm probably going to wait a couple of weeks to get a  replacement car sorted, until we're a bit clearer on the house move - once I've an idea of how much estate agent commission and stamp duty is due, I'll have a better idea of how much cash I have left to play with. Don't want to end up having to do the entire house move by myself in the car because I spent the money needed for a removal van!

But keep the suggestions coming, by all means!

2 hours ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

Have been very sorry to read of the Subaru's demise by the way, but I sold it into the forum in the hope that it could at least 'do someone a turn', and it at least did that I think.  I miss the car's unique capabilities and character, and would have another.  

To be fair to Subaru, most cars die of rust pretty quickly up here

Hey, no worries - I know your garage reckoned it was beyond redemption a year ago, but it's given a few of us some flat-four fun since then; there's no sin for it, as my grandmother would have said.

Loads of salt dumped on the roads here too, often in less than ideal circumstances - and hey, it's not like I was unaware of just how quickly Subarus can turn rotten!

Had Subaru galvanised the underside panels, it could have been a different story... I'll miss this one, but it's definitely been very useful to me over the past three months in getting the garden and shed cleared ready for the house move, so absolutely no buyer regrets at this end.

• 2 weeks later...

I was excited to go and view this Outback tomorrow, but after reading this thread I’m now a little scared that I’ll be throwing best part of two grand down the drain. It’s had a fail for rust in 2019 but nothing since then, I find advisories for sub frame corrosion to often be quite harsh. I’ll just have to give it a good look over with a torch, at least the ground clearance will come in handy for that!

55225C2E-45F7-4FD6-8A6E-50D799E70F2F.png

If it's been reasonably cossetted, then there's hope - and they are good cars, no doubt.

It's just unfortunate that the factory rustproofing isn't really up to European road conditions for winter service; but as ever, some cars may succumb much earlier than others, depending on use/ luck.

If you managed to get a good look underneath and it all seems shipshape, it could be a decent buy!

• 1 month later...

Went out in the Subaru with MrsDC yesterday to go and drop a few things off.

Despite performing impeccably all week, we'd only made it a few miles down the road before strange noises began to emanate from what appeared to be the rear offside.

MrsDC was not terribly impressed, and insisted on turning back. This wasn't the first time it had pulled such a stunt, and her confidence in this particular car is low.

I pulled over and took a quick look underneath, but couldn't see anything obviously amiss. On moving off, the noise was gone. It might have just been a stick or something that had jammed against the undercarriage, and dislodged once I pulled in.

There was, however, ample rust to be seen.

IMG_20220328_140755.thumb.jpg.01697be0b696e28a564b6d9bc4ac398b.jpg

Ah.

IMG_20220328_140606.thumb.jpg.b9d4c86bab5b9ada1a3c69e15e57ddb4.jpg

Hmmm.

IMG_20220328_140808.thumb.jpg.5d118f5718ad0723e4641553a17790b2.jpg

Yes.

I mean, I knew it was this way after the Mechanic of Choice had levelled with me, but I'd been steadfastly denying it for a month and deliberately not looking. Thinking that maybe I should just swap the ABS lead, knock off the EML with the Torque Lite app on the way in to the MOT centre, and see if I can scrape a pass.

But yeah, it's not looking all that hopeful.

IMG_20220328_140336.thumb.jpg.08f614ba064fd6483ef3d7c3fc178fe9.jpg

Like the Forester, it just seems to be eating itself from the inside out around the edges. Due to the sills and arches being encased by plastic covers, I can't quite see what the metalwork's like beneath without removing them - but I'd be quite surprised if they were factory-fresh.

I did, at least, get to appreciate the garage's ingenious solution to the matter of the rusted-away exhaust hangers - jubilee clips and self-tappers. 

IMG_20220328_140408.thumb.jpg.d878593f89f68cc40f90177461a717e3.jpg

IMG_20220328_140346.thumb.jpg.5d530224988f42b74baa154f53d7d14d.jpg

Ah well. Best get looking for a replacement, then...