Datsuncog's Heaps: Sept 2023 - Another Year's T-Met Exemption Certificate...

Datsuncog

Hey, cheers for the info there - I've now gone through the more detailed CTB terms and conditions emailed after accepting their offer, and it seems the cat's deemed a 'major part' - perhaps understandably, given the value.

708736270_Forester_CarTakeBack_TC_Nov_2021.jpg.cae67d1e0f21f6fad41cfe418d7eba77.jpg

So if that's missing, chances are they'll start teeth-sucking and chipping away - even though I've a feeling the cat's worth at least the £315 offered all by itself, with the running gear surely worth the same and the shell no doubt fetching at least £100 on the scales. 

If the car were outside on the drive I'd absolutely go and take a squizz for the part code (and I think it is an OEM item, the whole car's pretty stock) - but as it stands it's two miles away, parked up on some boggy-looking ground in a post-industrial hellscape, and it's a wet November night. I know the lads at the garage just want it cleared out of their way, and I feel everyone's patience has been tested to the limit with this one...

Much as it pains me, I might just have to let it go. The situation has been doing my head in for a month now, and I've never had a cunning plan involving money and cars that hasn't turned round and bitten me on the arse.

Genuine thanks for your advice though, and I deeply appreciate everyone trying to help make this automotive disaster slightly less abysmal!

The fun just keeps going with this one...

Right around the time I was dealing with the garage's request that I pull the ads for the Forester, this message came through via Gumtree.

Forester_Ad_Response_1.jpg.17488f4192fbf0e649f28158a814a22d.jpg

To be honest, the cursory nature of this message made me think it was some sort of automated bot scam thing, possibly connecting to a premium rate line. There were a lot of other messages to respond to, so I just went back with the same line later on:

Forester_Ad_Response_2.jpg.1307195734ea7e879c65a6a4b1ad7091.jpg

Then a few hours later this came back:

Forester_Ad_Response_3.jpg.3cb85fb83c2dbf610b5b3cf8fb0d8919.jpg

Okaaay... well, that's nice and all, but that information might have been a better opener than just "give me a call".

I mean, it's probably fair to assume that if someone contacts you via an advert, it's because they're interested in purchasing it.

What's also a bit head-scratchy is that although there's a fair bit of history with the car, the only reference to an owner called David comes from the guy who had it before the fella I bought it off, but his address is in Co. Down. The owner before that was someone called John from Belfast, and they seemingly bought it from a dealer in South Wales. Before that it was in Herefordshire, and before that it was in Buckinghamshire. There's not much Bristol in the history, though I suppose there may have been dealers who had custody of it at various times. 

Anyway, I apologised (why??) and advised that since the car was going for scrap, there probably wasn't much point in acquiring the second key now.

I didn't add that it would have been a fucking handy thing to have back in January after Royal Mail mislaid the only alarm-coded key...

I then received two texts from CarTakeBack this morning, each saying that they'd been trying to call me.

There were no missed calls on my phone. And the second text came through while I had my phone in my hand.

I rang back on the number provided, and got through to a scrapyard - presumably the agent that does the actual lifting and breaking - Euro Autospares in Ballymoney.

They confirmed that they hadn't been trying to call me, but they might call me this afternoon. Then hung up.

Marvellous.

I'm currently trying to summon the wherewithal to go down to the Mechanic of Choice, and clear all my bits and pieces out of the Forester for the very last time, and leave the V5 and all the history files in it.

I fucking hate this bit.

On 11/3/2021 at 7:14 PM, artdjones said:

That's nice. That's very nice...

Though I think I may have a worthy replacement lined up - if all goes to plan, pick-up is scheduled for Saturday!

23 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Just a thought Mr DC, but what about a smoll van?

Funny, I did think about a van a few years back, when I was looking to maximise capacity for a house move - but insurance was frankly terrifying, so I parked the idea. But maybe something worth thinking about in future...  Mind you, at the minute I think decent vans might be in just as short a supply as reasonable estate cars! 

I remember taking my V70 to the same mechanic of choice to have the airbag light reset after having the clocks out. Total cost for his time with the Volvo diagnostic tool? "Nip over to the garage and get me 20 B&H while I do this"

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, They_all_do_that_sir said:

I remember taking my V70 to the same mechanic of choice to have the airbag light reset after having the clocks out. Total cost for his time with the Volvo diagnostic tool? "Nip over to the garage and get me 20 B&H while I do this"

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

These days it was probably cheaper to pay the labour 😁

What hellish numbers are these on the clock?

340349228_IMG_20211106_0602072.thumb.jpg.9b03c3c7ecaaa5b55a33fcf6af99de31.jpg

Crikey. I don't deal well with this kind of temporal reality.

But needs must, because...

OMG KOLLECKSHUN DAY

Yup, coming live to you through the morning fug... maybe not quite on the level of retrieving a Datsun from Scandinavia, but close-ish. Ish.

I think we need some tunes to kick-start things.

More to come. Soon.

• Datsuncog changed the title to Datsuncog's Heaps: 06/11/21 - LIVE KOLLECKSHUN!!