Extinct Renault

bezzabsa

Weirdly the Mk1 Zafira seems to be the great survivor. Plenty of those around less attractive parts here still.

I have a 2.2 pez version on a 52 plate.

Bought from auction for not much money, the engine lost compression on cylinder 3 after a fortnight, looking back the fact it breathed a lot of oil through the system and had an oil leak advisory on every MOT for 8 years should have been a clue.

I saved it and swapped the engine out on it, admittedly I did a lot of preventative at the same time but they are good motors, very reliable and easy to work on, don't seem to rust in any major way either.

I've thought about binning my Seat and getting a galaxy to replace both but this is actually not that bad on juice, drives really nice, is pokey when required and munches up the motorway miles with ease due to the lazy engine.

I see at least 3 on the road everyday so it seems, cheap 7 seat motoring but lots falling into the wrong hands now and I guess could become extinct in the next few years.

I have a 2.2 pez version on a 52 plate.

Bought from auction for not much money, the engine lost compression on cylinder 3 after a fortnight, looking back the fact it breathed a lot of oil through the system and had an oil leak advisory on every MOT for 8 years should have been a clue.

I saved it and swapped the engine out on it, admittedly I did a lot of preventative at the same time but they are good motors, very reliable and easy to work on, don't seem to rust in any major way either.

I've thought about binning my Seat and getting a galaxy to replace both but this is actually not that bad on juice, drives really nice, is pokey when required and munches up the motorway miles with ease due to the lazy engine.

I see at least 3 on the road everyday so it seems, cheap 7 seat motoring but lots falling into the wrong hands now and I guess could become extinct in the next few years.

The friend who wants me to find her a Zafira, had a 2.2 auto Mk1 for about 5 years, the only thing that when wrong on it was a battery (which did cause some odd symptoms, like turning the fans on at night & leaving them on till there was no power left), then a few months ago it suffered FTP...

Turns out she`d never bothered servicing it, in 5 years & about 50k, when I`ve looked, the cam had snapped (the "oil" looked like zink grease, hardly the cars fault).

They are good family cars, although a lot have suffered neglect (& even the 1.8`s are now in the £305 tax band).

No not mine, but thats my dentist!

Will go looking, let me know if you remember any more...

Have had a poke around, and annoying it's not on Google Streetview...Yet obviously spends a lot of time in the same spot, as it's been there at least the last three or four trips to the dentist!  Usually parked on Dumbleton Avenue, near the house with the old blue Mini outside.

I like the mk2s, think even though they’re just a big box on wheels they are quite stylish, particularly the later Y/51/02 plates, in ‘The Race’ spec.

We had 60 plate mk3s in my old job, at the time they were a year and a half to 2 years old and at idle the dashboards actually used to violently rattle/shake. They also still had the same light grey flimsy key cards as pre facelift Laguna IIs.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/6/2017 at 1:58 PM, bezzabsa said:

OK, so where did all the Espace's go???

Haven't seen 1 on the road in at least 12 months...and that even excludes the Horrid Mk3 ones!!!!

Would have thought being Galv chassis and plastic body they'd be around longer than cockroaches!!!

Had a look at prices as Mrs Grogee was pining for hers. There's one on the bay for ten bags - 12 plate ish I think. 

There is a pent up demand that isn't being fulfilled. We sold ours for £2k in 2020, paid £1350 for it but I did a fair bit of work to it.

2 minutes ago, grogee said:

Had a look at prices as Mrs Grogee was pining for hers. There's one on the bay for ten bags - 12 plate ish I think. 

There is a pent up demand that isn't being fulfilled. We sold ours for £2k in 2020, paid £1350 for it but I did a fair bit of work to it.

Don't forget PBK struggled to sell his despite it being cheap as chips. His was the ultra-rare roof lining delete model too.