Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

FIXED.

DhXkUDsX0AYYt5L.jpg

Test drive complete. Can't say having an exhaust with no holes in it has done anything for noise levels, but she goes well enough. Have also refitted the correct wheel - she's been sitting on a Fox wheel for a bit as she developed a puncture. Time will tell whether that has been cured...

The mighty journey begins one week tomorrow!

You know, I'm more terrified about the 170-mile drive to Stowe House than I was about the 2500-mile drive home in the Mighty Dacia. 

Good news is that the re-seated tyre is still holding pressure. Bad news is that the screenwash no longer works, and my mobile phone mount has slightly melted in the heat...

DhaI-agW4AAzwlh.jpg

Break it up ^ stop every 50 miles?? What is your plan?

Plans? What are they? Certainly, I'll be breaking up the journey. I'm betting on six hours for what is a four hour journey in the 2CV. Hopefully, I'll be in convoy with the Mighty Dacia, but Cats' plans are also rather loose at the moment. It's this dedicated approach to planning that somehow worked on the Dacia mission...

You know, I'm more terrified about the 170-mile drive to Stowe House than I was about the 2500-mile drive home in the Mighty Dacia.

And yet the Dacia was a complete unknown, and the Invacar you have driven several times now.....

Amazing what the lack of one roadwheel and one steering wheel does for your confidence!

And yet the Dacia was a complete unknown, and the Invacar you have driven several times now.....

Amazing what the lack of one roadwheel and one steering wheel does for your confidence!

What you don't know can't scare you! I'm sure it'll be fine. I just need to remember to pack ear plugs.

its not the speed or anything,its the crosswinds and blast from lorries.when we were having the after effects of a tropical hurricane around 9-10 years ago,i was on the M5 heading towards Reading in a Reliant Regal,i had to leave the motorway after reducing speed to 25mph as the wind was lifting the front of the car accross 2 lanes.

Aye, you'd been proper blown off course if you were trying to get to Reading on the M5.

Took TWC to town to send off more international stickers. Then remembered there were some interesting cars visiting the local station. Had to hoon back, and TWC did feel quite sprightly today - we hit 55mph at one point!

This is why I rushed.

DhfztgNW0AE5Wm6.jpg

Sadly, they were just leaving, weaving and leaning as they did so. What marvellous machines.

TWC's exhaust was probably collapsing internally too, so can now breathe better. Watched Mustie's latest video and it shows a CVT system in action, funnily enough in a plastic tripod with tiller steering, it's pogweasel pink though 

Changed the transmission oil tonight. What a faff. You have to remove the engine covers - inside and out - for decent access. Which means removing the seat back. Still, here's a triplet of Boxers.

Dhr94KoWAAAiLwh.jpg

With that done, it was time for a proving hoon. 60mph was achieved, but not exceeded, several times. I'm not sure if she just cannae give nae more, or if the dead spider in the speedometer is preventing further speed.

Dhr9ID5X4AAibug.jpg

Confused a lot of people. Will be confusing a lot more people on Friday. She's covered in dust, but I think I'll just leave that for the 'roadtrip' look. After all, the paint is terrible, so cleaning her just makes that more obvious.

Oil is leaking out of one driveshaft seal and quite a bit out of the engine in various places. I'm sure it'll be fine.

My biggest recommendation for your journey,based on doing long journeys in Reliants,wear some earplugs,your trip will be a thousand times more pleasant,less tiring and you will most likely cruise at a higher speed.

A strategy I already employ in the 2CV. I bet I forget them...

Actually, the biggest problem I'm having at the moment is a problem in my thumb joint. It's been playing up all year, and actually just holding the throttle in is really quite painful. I'm having to adopt a 'thumb over' position, which isn't great. Too late to convert to left hand throttle?

Motorcycle throttle grip modification, with a throttle lock on the books maybe?

Figured anything on the not-leaning-on-the-brakes issue?

Phil

Not sure I'll be on roads where a throttle lock is helpful. Certainly no use in Wales!

No modifications to the bars. I've developed a technique where I wedge my left leg under my left hand to offer support. Will see if that works.

Granted, in Wales but once you get past about Llangollen it starts to open up and flatten out somewhat. I guess it's subjective because I don't know how many lb/ft you need to apply to the throttle to open it. Is it as light as possible or has there been added extra spring?

I saw also an aftermarket cruise control kit for motorcycles, with a speed pickup that connected up into the speedometer cable, brake light switch and a piece that hooks up into the throttle handle to pull it open. However, at about $300 that's probably on the list of pipe-dream luxuries*..

Phil

* ... also not really in the ethos of the vehicle, as an ideal long distance Grand Tourer

Ah. Gotcha. I'd usually drive Chepstow, Usk, Abergavenny, Bronllys, Builth, Rhyader, Llanidloes, Machynlleth, Dolgellau if I was headed that way or Chepstow, Tintern, Monmouth, Llancloudy, Hereford, Leominster, Ludlow, Plowden, Snead, Chirbury, Fron, Welshpool, Llandysilio, Oswestry, Llangollen, Mold and on up to the M56 towards Birkenhead. That route was much better for a slow car and often faster than taking the M5/M6.

You'll have a fun road trip. I miss driving in Wales (granted a lot of that route is on the border).. a decade since I was last there and I can still picture the route. Pretty countryside.

Phil

Ah. Gotcha. I'd usually drive Chepstow, Usk, Abergavenny, Bronllys, Builth, Rhyader, Llanidloes, Machynlleth, Dolgellau if I was headed that way or Chepstow, Tintern, Monmouth, Llancloudy, Hereford, Leominster, Ludlow, Plowden, Snead, Chirbury, Fron, Welshpool, Llandysilio, Oswestry, Llangollen, Mold and on up to the M56 towards Birkenhead. That route was much better for a slow car and often faster than taking the M5/M6.

You'll have a fun road trip. I miss driving in Wales (granted a lot of that route is on the border).. a decade since I was last there and I can still picture the route. Pretty countryside.

Phil

Lovely part of the world. I'm trying to convince my other half that we should move to around there. Especially as the bridge toll is going by the end of the year. Problem is, when the toll goes for good and people are used to no toll, the prices are going to jump even more than they have now.