Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

What's really strange is if you were on a moped, arguably a more dangerous conveyance, it wouldn't feel anywhere near as terrifying as this!   You can see why they had the huge appeal they did, people were able to get about on their own protected from the elements in a way they simply wouldn't be able to otherwise, which is marvellous.  You can also see why people wanted rid, when you see it wobbling along in modern traffic it looks incredibly vulnerable, much more so than they did when new.

I liked the way right at the beginning with the footage from the Nippa, Mrs DW is giggling.

Yes this made me chuckle, as did the dramatic difference in noise from both cars.

As I said on youtube, cut a hole next to fuel gauge and put wiper switch there, it was like watching someone play the church organ.

Yes this made me chuckle, as did the dramatic difference in noise from both cars.

As I said on youtube, cut a hole next to fuel gauge and put wiper switch there, it was like watching someone play the church organ.

I *may* know a source of a dash with the lighting and wiper switches on the left if it annoyed DW too much...

Unergonomic wiper switch location......

Shoot me down now, but an ideal candidate for an auto wiper conversion?

Great to see this back on the road, and if you're interested in the world's most incongruous convoy down to Buckinghamshire, I might be up for it...

The issue with having to hold the handlebars up, rather than being able to rest the weight of your arms on it.. Given the mechanical simplicity of the steering/braking arrangement, a spring should be fairly easy to get in there somewhere (or a bigger one if there already is one) and if balanced properly, you should be able to get it comfortable* to drive, without wearing your arms out, but still easy to press down to brake.

...how hard do you have to press down to brake?

I find the same with a lot of accelerator pedals, particularly in smaller cars. If I relax my foot, I floor it. 99% of the time I have to hold my foot up, which is very tiresome. Bigger spring on the accelerator return, and much much more comfortable. Had this when driving a Berlingo 1.6HDi a while back. It's a cable-less accelerator pedal (IE just a pedal, plugged in to the vehicle) and the spring is completely inaccessable. Given that I had 600 miles to drive, I fitted a bungee cord around the pedal up to the dashboard. Made it massively less tiring to drive, and improved my economy by about 5MPG.