Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

Had a run out this evening. Found some tiny lanes so she could have more of a gentle run. Until one of the steepest hills in Wales at least... (which she managed to get up - it's first gear in one of our minbuses or the 2CV!).

D6JuUD6W4AI2rGp.jpg

Lanes with vegetation down the middle are not much fun in a three-wheeler... Still, this trip took her to 30,500 miles. Monday, drive to Milton Keynes, Tuesday to Essex, Thursday to Sussex. That one should certainly be interesting...

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

I reckon he just ran without any form of safety...

well you can see the transmission cover and belt guard are in place, I think he strapped the camera to something in the engine compartment and is looking backwards if that makes sense?

Had a run out this evening. Found some tiny lanes so she could have more of a gentle run. Until one of the steepest hills in Wales at least... (which she managed to get up - it's first gear in one of our minbuses or the 2CV!).

D6JuUD6W4AI2rGp.jpg

Lanes with vegetation down the middle are not much fun in a three-wheeler... Still, this trip took her to 30,500 miles. Monday, drive to Milton Keynes, Tuesday to Essex, Thursday to Sussex. That one should certainly be interesting...

I hope you have something setup so you can rest your arms! (maybe employe a second bungee cord or something?)

otherwise Yay more scenic invacar :) and I look forward to next week

I have a technique where I rest my left arm on my left knee. Works pretty well. 

I've just announced a meet at Festival Leisure Park, Basildon, 8pm on Wednesday. Autoshiters more than welcome. Then we're off to the Retro Rides Weekender at Goodwood, which should be a laugh. I'm in discussions to try and get TWC a lap of the track, and there's an Autosolo on the Sunday...

Ohhh awesome stuff!

I particularly look forward to see how she does round an autosolo given how Model 70s handle much better then people expect them too :)

and a lap around Goodwood would be a right laugh :), see if you can beat the lap set by JBY503J the Mk12E :mrgreen: (well it went round as part of a parade so not sure if it counts? LOL)

This really is going to be an adventure... Test pack. 

D6WtQ9IWAAAE81F.jpg

The Invacar non-fans might explode when we get two forum Invacars together tomorrow, which is the plan.

Went for a test drive, and she handles the extra weight fairly well - the normal standard of pretty rubbish. Squealing terribly below 30mph, so I've just resorted to belt dressing. I doubt it'll last long, and it's a right faff to deploy as you need to remove the inner cover (ie unpack and THEN remove the inner cover) to gain access. Even then, it would be better still with the guard removed. I'll take the car with me, but will hope I don't have to use it. I just hope it doesn't actually just make things worse...

haha :mrgreen:  im grinning just at the thought of it, and will be doing so like a madman when the pictures/videos come through :) (im especially eager to see how TPA and TWC compare in terms of driving dynamics and performance)

sadly I wont be able to see the pair in person on this trip, the logistics of it sadly make it unfeasible, but hopefully there will be another time :) 

Belt dressing has certainly stopped the noise for now, but performance otherwise identical. That's good. I was worried it might change the dynamics, and I'd then be wondering how long until she fails again.

The Dartford crossing should be nice and scary. That's quite a climb, but it'll be a major achievement. Have considered taking a crossing within the M25, but I'm really not sure I fancy that, even if it would give potential for some amazing 'tourist' shots. Not that I'm sure it's possible to stop anywhere with a nice backdrop these days.

Belt dressing has certainly stopped the noise for now, but performance otherwise identical. That's good. I was worried it might change the dynamics, and I'd then be wondering how long until she fails again.

The Dartford crossing should be nice and scary. That's quite a climb, but it'll be a major achievement. Have considered taking a crossing within the M25, but I'm really not sure I fancy that, even if it would give potential for some amazing 'tourist' shots. Not that I'm sure it's possible to stop anywhere with a nice backdrop these days.

There are a few London Wankers on here. Maybe you could tee up someone to take pics on the way past? We did this on The Mall a few years ago and worked very well. 

41 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

There are a few London Wankers on here. Maybe you could tee up someone to take pics on the way past? We did this on The Mall a few years ago and worked very well. 

Good shout. If any London shiters are interested, Thursday is the Essex to Sussex day.

Bloody hell Ian, rather you than me! I get the fear going over it in a normal car (not a liker of heights - I get a nosebleed with thick socks). Can't think of anywhere you could get a shot from without a very long lens but a tracking shot from another car would work.

27 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

not sure if your doing this just to tease me at this point! :mrgreen: Can you make a quick detour to where I live please? :mrgreen:

Last time I went your way, the sky was blue due to the number of Police lights. There was a siege going on, so even more lively than usual! It's certainly possible if I decide to avoid Dartford. I hate Dartford, so it kind of makes sense to give it the swerve.

I can be available to assist/shadow from 4pm onwards on Thursday if that's any good?  Anywhere in SE London or out towards the M25 and down to Sussex.

I can't take a full leave day unfortunately as annoyingly I've got a work project that starts on Thursday.  I imagine you'll want to be out of London by late afternoon though.

On 5/12/2019 at 2:44 PM, dollywobbler said:

I wonder if anyone has ever taken an invacar on the Woolwich ferry? 

Woo!

some very very cool shots there :)

tis really cool to see the pair together again and driving together! I wonder how many people would think that would happen!

I hope DW got a chance to take TPA for a spin, and the same for Zel and TWC :)

(wife swap, Model 70 edition! :mrgreen: )