Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

The Driver CPC session I was at today was talking about vulnerable road users - cyclists, old people on mobility scooters, pedestrians etc. and certain vehicles not being allowed on certain roads, including "Invalid Carriages"

The guy holding the session asked if anyone remembers Invacars, discussing why they were officially recalled, so I mentioned your project and the speeds you got TWC up to. Hopefully I done good & you'll get a few more views....

Crikey, has it really been a year?! I remember watching that first video and thinking that you were quite mad and, I confess, didn't really "get it" at the time. I'm quite ashamed to admit that now, particularly having been glued to the endeavour ever since.

One of my definite favourite videos was part 3, where not only did TWC effect ingress into the garage but also ran for the first time. Brilliant!

"aint they illegal to drive on the road these days?!"

Congrats on the Anniversary DW :)

(tho ill have to admit unlike most people, it was actually Zels videos that set me on the invacar "warpath" so to speak  :mrgreen: )

but I pretty quickly stumbled across your videos and the autoshite forum in its beige entirety :)

"aint they illegal to drive on the road these days?!"

Congrats on the Anniversary DW :)

(tho ill have to admit unlike most people, it was actually Zels videos that set me on the invacar "warpath" so to speak :mrgreen: )

but I pretty quickly stumbled across your videos and the autoshite forum in its beige entirety :)

He's entirely responsible for me knowing they existed via this thread, so it's still all DW's fault at the end of the day.

... Can't thank him enough to be honest, as I've one of the most fascinating little cars ever made in the garage as a result.

He's entirely responsible for me knowing they existed via this thread, so it's still all DW's fault at the end of the day.

... Can't thank him enough to be honest, as I've one of the most fascinating little cars ever made in the garage as a result.

now theres one for a "6 steps away/chain of association" type thread  :mrgreen:

its interesting how quite a few people in the UK had never seen/heard of an invacar until Dollyowbblers climb to fame, despite them being a common piece of street furniture back in the day

(on that note I must be one of the youngest/last people who actually remembers seeing one on the road, coming across one in 2003 when i was 3! then in 2013-2014 or so I stumbled across the wikipedia page for them, and then in 2018 I stumbled across them again and at that point it was all down hill from there as they say  :mrgreen: )

(probably because an invacar is one of the few Not-a-bus vehicles I distinctly remember from my early childhood, I was like what the blazes is that its only got 3 wheels! mum told me it was a car built for disabled people which caused 3 year old me to think ALL Cars with 3 wheels where for disabled people... but to be fair to 3 year old me that invacar was the only 3 wheeled car id seen, until top gears episode on the robin i think...)

any-who this is DWs thread so I better shut up about myself before I find gorge the cat leaving dead mice in my bed :)

I have just seen this car for the first time. Heading towards me through my town. I instinctively flashed and put my hand up then realised straight away that I don't know Dollywobbler personally, neither does he know my car!

Long way from home on a windy day, bet that was fun over Clee Hill!

So I guess the Invacar made it to the NEC then! Congrats DW on getting TWC back into working order. Got to thank LightBulbFun for getting me interested in the Invacar, as well as this website :P

Such a neat little car. Hopefully by the time I finally head across the pond to visit LBF, he'll have found his Invacar and gotten it up and running, as I'd absolutely love to try taking one for a spin. They don't look like they hang around for too long, based on what I saw in DW's videos, so that'll be fun LOL

I'll add these photos here that I took today. More close up of some of the sections that you may have not seen in any of the videos.

Logo is just about visible. The ceiling lights at the show reflected on it and made the logo hard to see.

8394a8bc2a4724e44f2c3a62265c8f5d.jpg

Those rings are pretty crusty, especially on the underside! I don't think DW needs to worry about trying to remove them. Just need a bit more time and the bottom will rust out releasing them. :D

7b0ce8a94631e011d424025df4076744.jpg

Engine oil specs.

8a8f8590b8bd510fc2cd0e2b54a9ebce.jpg

Cockpit. (Very sorry Ms Kesley media lady, I didn't mean to frame a picture of your rear in the middle of this shot. However its too good a picture of inside to not share)

Seat is remarkably comfortable. Indicator stalk is all very floppy though.

28f9cf06a5a0939b93bed16cc306f936.jpg

The beating heart.

6e1344d64cfe55880121a4de2a98e434.jpg

I didn't like to say but DW took it out of my mouth anyway, this little car has a fair bit of "Patina"! More than the videos lets on.

Yep and the owner too.

How does one find out about up and coming live broadcasts?

some youtubes will put up a small 10 second "im going live" video before they do

and some like DW just go live at a whim and its just a case of being there at the right time (you can setup youtube so it sends you a notification when someone does go live)

I'll add these photos here that I took today. More close up of some of the sections that you may have not seen in any of the videos.

Logo is just about visible. The ceiling lights at the show reflected on it and made the logo hard to see.

8394a8bc2a4724e44f2c3a62265c8f5d.jpg

Those rings are pretty crusty, especially on the underside! I don't think DW needs to worry about trying to remove them. Just need a bit more time and the bottom will rust out releasing them. :D

7b0ce8a94631e011d424025df4076744.jpg

Cockpit. (Very sorry Ms Kesley media lady, I didn't mean to frame a picture of your rear in the middle of this shot. However its too good a picture of inside to not share)

Seat is remarkably comfortable. Indicator stalk is all very floppy though.

28f9cf06a5a0939b93bed16cc306f936.jpg

The beating heart.

6e1344d64cfe55880121a4de2a98e434.jpg

I didn't like to say but DW took it out of my mouth anyway, this little car has a fair bit of "Patina"! More than the videos let on.

Oohh close up invacar shots FTW! :) I hope to see TWC in person some day, having been "up close and personal" with TPA which was considered by DW to be the worse of the 2 I dont think DW has to worry about me getting the wrong idea on condition :)

its interesting to see TWCs spec plate is almost identical to TPAs plate despite TWC being a invacar model 70 and TPA being an AC Model 70, but I have noticed a couple differences myself like which order the oil brands are listed

I also wonder what the secondary plate on TPA is about...

post-25614-0-02945500-1541797332_thumb.png

Not sure if you've left for home yet Ian, but when you do, take it easy! I've just come back from your part of the world (Mid Wales/Powys) this weekend and there has been a lot of rain + leaves dropping over last few days...

You go round a corner to suddenly find a slippery mess of wet leaves. Not a problem for 4 wheeled vehicles as other vehicle tyres have cleared the road and can follow the tracks. However being a 3 wheeler, you could find yourself going around a corner to having your only wheel that steers on a material that is like ice.