Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

The doors come off pretty simply.

With the stay removed and the limiting stop on the runner, they literally just slide off the front.

Did this twice today, really simple. The limiting stop uses the good old 1/4 Whitworth nut/bolt and a cleat that attaches to the front end of the circa 1” Dia bar that the door runs along. Remove the lot including the stay and slide the whole door forward and off the rail.

outstanding video. does it wheeley off the line?

I did try, but apparently not.

Heave the engine out again and install stronger springs in the centripetal clutch. This will allow the engine to rev up somewhat further into it's power* band before engaging, hopefully getting the front wheel off the ground.

I wonder what sort of 1/4mile time you could get with this...

Youll probably find that where the centripetal clutch has been disturbed (and is it one set of shoes in the other gearbox?) it will take some time for the shoes to stop grabbing the drum quite so viciously. Bit like brand-new brakes.. they snatch quite a bit until they have settled in.

Whatever you do, please don't crash this and injure yourself badly. Not only for the "don't want to see you (or anyone) injured", of course, but also because the irony of being badly injured in an invacar crash and then needing to have a modern equivalent adapted/altered car for your injuries would be unbearable!

... either way. Take care in this heap won't you please. I've heard a few stories of these things having all the crash resistance of a paper bag.

Ian,

I have an crazy idea for you that I'm sure hasn't been done before with an Invacar. Not sure of the 'er' legalities of this, but the Passengers Forbidden got me thinking about how poor unfortunate Mrs Dollywobbler would not be able to partake in the Invacar adventures, especially after all the engine heaving help she has offered.  How about you gut the mechanicals out of the spare Invacar, remove the front wheel, and replace it with a drawbar and make it into an Invacar trailer, so that Mrs DW can be towed along in the trailer. Kind of like how this 2CV trailer has been built. Just a mad thought!

177300.jpg

Ian,

I have an crazy idea for you that I'm sure hasn't been done before with an Invacar. Not sure of the 'er' legalities of this, but the Passengers Forbidden got me thinking about how poor unfortunate Mrs Dollywobbler would not be able to partake in the Invacar adventures, especially after all the engine heaving help she has offered.  How about you gut the mechanicals out of the spare Invacar, remove the front wheel, and replace it with a drawbar and make it into an Invacar trailer, so that Mrs DW can be towed along in the trailer. Kind of like how this 2CV trailer has been built. Just a mad thought!

177300.jpg

Not sure my wife is really one for being dragged anywhere...