Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

Just rereading the thread, I suspect the flasher connects in-between those two terminals you bridged.

2 pin flashers are wired like this:

IMG_20150323_0001_NEW.jpg

I know MGs, Triumphs and Morris all used them, so I wouldn't be surprised if Invacars used them too.

Anyway, paperclip has been out again today. Success!

DSdgSS8W0AACDjj.jpg

Quite a lengthy sort-out for this one. The nearside lamp assembly was very badly corroded, due to a broken lens, so I robbed one from the parts car. Even though that one has no lenses at all, I guess the holder could at least dry out, so it was better.

Had to clean up the bulb holders both sides, and may need to do more, as the offside one isn't very bright, and the sidelight bulb slightly illuminates. It does all seem to just be down to the holders themselves though.

So, indicators now work, brake lights work, but rear sidelights have packed up. Sigh.

I've found a Dremel (or cheap equivalent) and a wire wheel attachment makes short work of cleaning up contacts. Also probably worth getting an assortment of replacement spade and bullet connectors with a set of ratchet crimpers. If any look suspect or dirty, just chop them off and replace them.

Top tip:

If you need to clean the female side of a plug or bullet connector, a useful tool for this is a reasonably stiff bit of electrical flex with the strands folded back over it, stuck in a drill.  Stick the wire into the socket then give it a good spin with the drill.  It should polish up the inside surface of the connector nicely.

That one was figured out sorting out refrigeration kit on the farm which all seemed to suffer from issues with the control boxes filling up with water.

May give that a go another day. Started running out of volts and core body temperature, so that'll do for now. Still got erratic behaviour in the offside unit. Tried cleaning up the bulb holders but seemingly without success. All three operations now occur independently, but try combining (ie braking and indicating) and disco fever takes place.