Dollywobbler's Invacar - Ongoing

dollywobbler

I thought these were all on 10" wheels, but it turns out they're on 12s. Has anyone down south got any Mini wheels kicking about? The tyres are all wrecked, but there's no sense fitting new when I don't know how long it's going to take to get these road legal. I just want to make it easier to move them about. Oh, and one of them is missing a wheel, which doesn't help!

Tow hook on the front one, tow bar on the back one.

You only need 5 wheels and have a pusher trailer for a passenger/luggage.

Problem solved.

They`d fit in an ELWB hi-top Merc Sprinter van, if you put the donor in backwards, upside down, nose jacked, screen removed, then, slide the good one in the right way round.. Should reduce the length of them by about 5`-6` (?), so should fit within its 15`4 interior length?

If not, leave the back doors open.  :mrgreen:

Hmmm. An option! I have funding for a more appropriate solution though. Though I still need to work out exactly what that is! I can hire a 3.5 ton beavertail locally, but the bed is well short of 20ft I should think. I want to get this sorted ASAP so will be giving it some serious thought tomorrow. Do I just scoop up one?

Given their weight, can you put one on the back of a beavertail or similar and tow the other on a trailer?

Yes, but that means I need to hire a beavertail AND find a trailer from somewhere. It would look bloody awesome though. The quick and easy solution is to hire a 3.5 tonner and do a quick raid. Maybe I scoop up the second one and try to stash it somewhere in Sussex, then scoop up the first one and whisk it back to Wales. Still going to be two days, and a pretty hectic two days, but a 3.5 tonner can do 70, whereas a truck or trailer sees top speed restricted.

This morning, I'm favouring just scooping up one of them - the better one. It's going to be enough of a challenge restoring one of them. I'm not sure a second is really going to do anything other than get in the way. I used to own a simple plant trailer, which a friend of mine bought off me. He is happy to let me borrow it, so now I just need a tow vehicle. Bit annoying that Mason seems to have had a tow bar fitted at some point!

The bed of the plant trailer is 2.5m, but with a bit of overhanging, it might just be possible to get an Invacar on. May need me to remove the tailgate, as I did when I shipped the 2CV's bodyshell up to Bradford.

I am still considering other options as well though!