Safrane, so good? Now needs new home for £250 shiter price

bramz7

Truly a car for winners. Damon Hill apparently had one as his company hack when driving for Williams. I recall him getting done for speeding in it as well!

What a job perk! Berger got a Ferrari, Schumacher a cool jacket for driving at Benneton, and what did Hill get? A Renault Safrane!

Aah those were the days, won't see F1 drivers of that kind again 

What a job perk! Berger got a Ferrari, Schumacher a cool jacket for driving at Benneton, and what did Hill get? A Renault Safrane!

Aah those were the days, won't see F1 drivers of that kind again

I bet though that modern F1 drivers have all sorts of toys hidden away. Especially if they want to get around without arousing too much suspicion.

Not an F1 driver, but still someone who can afford expensive cars and a good driver is Chris Harris from Driven and Top gear fame. He turned up to a Aston Martin event at their Bristol dealer not in some luxury exotic, but a Peugeot 205 Rallye.

• 1 month later...

The one thing the Safrane needs is a heater resistor which is why the blower don't work. Renault are no use they have told me it could take 6 months to get one as no one has one in stock :(  

Problem is the resistor is unique to the lower spec model and the V6 ones are different. Not that i can find one of those anywhere either.

Does anyone have any ideas where i could get hold of one ?

The one thing the Safrane needs is a heater resistor which is why the blower don't work. Renault are no use they have told me it could take 6 months to get one as no one has one in stock :(  

Problem is the resistor is unique to the lower spec model and the V6 ones are different. Not that i can find one of those anywhere either.

If you've a part number then French ebay?

Yep! Buy another base spec Safrane (they come up every 3 weeks) for £250, steal the resistor, keep that as the summer car and the silver one for winter.

I can understand the Safrane's appeal as the biggest used car bargain out there. I just don't get what's meant to be special about them. Test drove ones couple of years back and to say it was the grandchild of the R30, the child of the R25 and the father of the Vel Satis it was seriously dull and conformist!

Update on the Safrane it passed its mot last week with one advise for a very slight wheel bearing play. 

Happy days.

Excellent, good to hear. Still miss it, but realistically I couldn't afford the running costs. 

You might be best off heading to France for bits, there's still loads over there. Although all the scrapyard ones probably suffer from the same issues of course...

Mine's supposedly a Valeo unit (three Torx screws holding it on) but is manufactured by Behr, and with a Bosch motor inside... seems that those fitted with PCB resistor units can be repaired using a new thermal fuse (99p from Maplin etc) to bring the blower back to life, but others can't. Renault Forums has a step-by-step guide for some types of Laguna 1 blower, so a slight chance the Safrane may be similar-ish? Any pics of your unit?

post-17915-0-56344100-1516180222_thumb.jpg

P.S. - ^^ this type can't be repaired, seemingly. Replacement scrappy-sourced part for mine currently keeping the shelf warm in Yodel's depot.

No the motor is fine in mine its just the resistor pack. I have made a small wiring amendment so i have spliced into one of the feeds to the motor and used a relay and a cable that i plug into my cigarette lighter with a fused plug. This gives me full motor speed just so i can demist it in the mornings but it is not ideal.

Resistors are the simplest and cheapest electronic component. Easy to combine proper electronics industry parts to suit. Just need to know what resistance each switch stage is and exactly how the switching works.

They are simple electrically but a resistor pack for a fan is a bit more complex as there a heat element to it. Get it wrong and you end up with a Zafira B! ;)

But yes, it's likely you can find one roughly the same size and retrofit it. Does the fan not work on speed 4? If so, it's not likely resistor pack as that isn't used on speed 4 - it's a direct connection.

Too Savvy made up some concoction for one of his motors by buying completely the wrong resistor pack for the wrong car and cutting it to fit. Apparently worked perfectly!

Post up a pic and someone will be along to say that it looks the same as a Toyota/Peugeot/Isuzu part

Blower motor does not work on any speed with the resistor fitted. But the blower works if connected direct to power source. 

I will post up some pics of the one i have i did try buying one for a renault master van as it looked the same but its wiring was different soon as i plugged it in the motor ran regardless of switch setting also ran without the keys in the ignition.

Ok in a mad turn of events I have another car coming my way next week at a too good to pass up price. So due to parking and having 4 other cars in the family i am putting this lovely old french barge back up for sale. £200 takes it for someone here to keep it within the forum. I will put a proper add up for it shortly.

Ooh... one day I'll have one of these! Have had a strong feeling of wantage for a Series 1 Safrane for a while, but reading through this thread has turned it into a raging horn. Looks like a cracking example of a much overlooked beauty, and being an RN model actually appeals to me more. Had I not recently picked up a Phase 1 Laguna then I could well have been very tempted. But if this one's ever needing re-homed... should the planets align, I'd be very interested.

I think that day has arrived lol

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

I think that day has arrived lol

Ancient philosopher say: "Be careful what you fucking wish for..."

Yes, wantage abounds here... though with two large and tricksy Renners already taking up my spare time, I fear three may push my sanity beyond manufacturer recommended tolerances...

And yet...

And yet...

Gnnnnnnnnng

Ancient philosopher say: "Be careful what you fucking wish for..."

Yes, wantage abounds here... though with two large and tricksy Renners already taking up my spare time, I fear three may push my sanity beyond manufacturer recommended tolerances...

And yet...

And yet...

Gnnnnnnnnng

I've already proven how easy it is to drive a French executive* saloon from there to here.

Not helping am I....

I've already proven how easy it is to drive a French executive* saloon from there to here.

Not helping am I....

And last week I proved how difficult it is to drive a French Executive Fastback saloon from here to there!

Luckily, Junkman was (Quite understandably reluctantly) on 7am standby to come and help!

I've been out on the roof of Chernobyl once, but driving a R20 locked in 2nd gear at a crawl through the back roads from Heysham to Bradford in the dead of night was just as adventurous!

I've thought about this all night, and the answer has to be - nope. I'd really love to, but the metaphorical planets are not in alignment right now.

The journey itself by air, road and sea holds no fears (brought back a stuttering Cortina estate from Glasgow ten years ago on a solo collection jaunt) but acquiring this Saffie would mean scrapping KAZ as a battered non-runner... and I still kinda can't bring myself to do that. The plan is to get her running, MOT'd, and offered out here. I do enjoy driving TAZ but it has also required (and will require) quite a lot more work than expected, so I feel that acquiring another project (with no garage or indeed driveway space) would benefit none of the cars.

post-17915-0-68565600-1516356242_thumb.jpg

Plus the usual excuses of finances etc... I'm waiting in agony for the inevitable January text from the bank to say I'm down to my last fifty quid...

(tiny violins)