T charge

lisbon_road

London can do what they like.

My concern is all the councils just waiting for their increased powers to implement such schemes............and where they will draw the lines.

Their propaganda machine - the LGA - is pretty efficient. I only watch the news once a week (Saturday morning) and not many weeks go by without them publishing some report or other about how they should have more power.

Councils having more power.......... in any form......... scares me mightily.

Is it just me but why is it called a T charge ? What does the T stand for ? twat perhaps ?? I checked and my Porsche gets in and so does the 1999 Peugeot 806 which did surprise me. There again it is only Monday to Friday and there is no chance I would actually want to go to London anyway. The last time I went through the center of London was about a year ago on a Saturday morning and I was amazed how little traffic there was on the road at 9.30am.

Just checked some of mine on the checker:

1981 Fiat 127 - Charged
1988 Panda 750L (FIRE) - Charged

1989 Uno 1.3 - Charged
1989 Uno 1.0 (FIRE) - Charged
1989 Bluebird - Charged
1990 Uno 60S (FIRE) - NOT charged (!! :shock: !!)

1993 Uno 1.0 (FIRE, injected with cat) - Charged

1999 Jag XJR - Charged
2001 Seicento Sporting (FIRE) - Charged

WTF?! I mean, I`m not complaining, I`m over the moon I can still use my favourite car without being doubly shafted, even if I rarely go into central London, but still, Dafugg is that about?!

Even less reason to visit that hell hole! Most stress full place I’ve ever driven around! People walking out in the road not looking! Busses pulling out kamikaze taxi drivers!

Yup

When I was couriering a couple of years ago I had the misfortune to be in The City at 5pm, spotted a few bunches of flowers tied to lamposts where some lemmings had been splattered, the standard of pedestrian awareness was appalling, people stepping into the road without looking everywhere 

I managed to get through without adding to the death toll, got to a roundabout which had a constant stream of cars coming from the right all 5ft apart, not being from London I hadn't perfected the FAAAKKK YOUUU dash into the 10yd gaps

I'm looking to the right constantly, see a not big enough but the best I'm going to get gap coming up, 3-2-1 GO

I let the clutch out the same time as I turn forward to go for this 2 car length gap, stood 1m in front of the van in the middle of the road is some dozy bitch too lazy to walk round the roundabout , she had headphones in and was totally unaware how close she'd come to being flattened until she got the hooter , I had to pull over I was shaking that much.

I hate all aspects of London 

before I got married , and some 30 years ago ,even before sat nav's , I would leave work at 2pm in Liverpool and drive to the East End of London

and park my car near  Mile End station .......   not even  a map on my lap ........  and have my tea cooked for me !

I work by the Tower of London, just 200 yards into the T and Congestion charge zones. I travel by motorbike which the T charge will come in next year for any pre 2007 bike.

I know only too well how polluted the air is-although Lower Thames Street is said to be the most polluted street in London (because of the supercycle highway?).

I cover my bike to keep the dust off. I have to change the cover every 6 to 8 weeks as by then they have changed colour, stink and become very sticky. If this charge can reduce pollution great, but I bet it won't.

I work by the Tower of London, just 200 yards into the T and Congestion charge zones. I travel by motorbike which the T charge will come in next year for any pre 2007 bike.

I know only too well how polluted the air is-although Lower Thames Street is said to be the most polluted street in London (because of the supercycle highway?).

I cover my bike to keep the dust off. I have to change the cover every 6 to 8 weeks as by then they have changed colour, stink and become very sticky. If this charge can reduce pollution great, but I bet it won't.

Here's a photo of a new cover sitting on top of one that was the same colour 8 weeks earlier.

post-19526-0-20697900-1508967756_thumb.jpg

Back on Autoshite after a long absence (Sorry, mates!) and this was the first thread I hit! Living on the outskirts of north London this would affect me, were I to drive into London. I feel a point has been missed throughout this discussion (& I apologise in advance if I've missed anyone raising this!)

I take it everyone wants the air pollution cleaned up in London, regardless of what they drive. O.K., so that's a given. Some of the earlier evocative black and white pictures show buses running through the smogs of London and this was cleaned up in the 1950s by the Clean Air, which worked well.

The problem behind the T Charge is that it seems to be a method of using pollution to make money for the Mayor, NOT to get rid of pollution! Imagine turning to a polluting factory in London in the 1950s & saying "you shouldn't be polluting the air, but bung us a few £££ and you can carry on belching out your polluting chemicals". Sounds wrong to me!

In short, the polluting vehicles need to be BANNED, not seen as a cash cow for the Mayor!

Forgot to add: my 1972 Daf 33 does NOT pay the T charge, but my 1994 Citroën Xantia DOES..... 

Back on Autoshite after a long absence (Sorry, mates!) and this was the first thread I hit! Living on the outskirts of north London this would affect me, were I to drive into London. I feel a point has been missed throughout this discussion (& I apologise in advance if I've missed anyone raising this!)

I take it everyone wants the air pollution cleaned up in London, regardless of what they drive. O.K., so that's a given. Some of the earlier evocative black and white pictures show buses running through the smogs of London and this was cleaned up in the 1950s by the Clean Air, which worked well.

The problem behind the T Charge is that it seems to be a method of using pollution to make money for the Mayor, NOT to get rid of pollution! Imagine turning to a polluting factory in London in the 1950s & saying "you shouldn't be polluting the air, but bung us a few £££ and you can carry on belching out your polluting chemicals". Sounds wrong to me!

In short, the polluting vehicles need to be BANNED, not seen as a cash cow for the Mayor!

Forgot to add: my 1972 Daf 33 does NOT pay the T charge, but my 1994 Citroën Xantia DOES.....

All of it is a cash cow for the government the whole environmental bollocks

Solar panels , subsidised until enough start buying them then cut , boost for jobs

Boiler scrappage , subsidised then cut , boost for jobs

Car scrappage , £2000 for your £300 car to buy a nice clean diesel with 60mpg and no road tax , FF ten years your dirty diesel is killing us you need to change it , nothing to do with millions of cars paying no tax and making a tank full of fuel last a month.

We'll spend £100s of millions converting the country to LED streetlights and LED traffic lights while other services struggle for cash , but its cheaper to illuminate the pot holes now

We'll pretend we're a green country but completely ignore that most of our heavy industry is carried out in countries that couldn't give a flying fuck about emissions as long as they're making money and the death toll isn't high enough they can't scrape them up and fill the empty place

But it's not our problem, we're green

We'll do deals with countries who's human rights record is appalling but they buy fighter jets off us so it's ok

And who the fuck is in charge of letting 400 of the 800 who went to fight for ISIS back in the country , WW2 they'd have taken them into a room and you'd have heard the dull sound of a gunshot

Is it any wonder most of the pensioners who can remember when Britain had balls voted for BREXIT

You'll be fine - Knightsbridge is outside the zone.

There are realistically very few reasons to be driving inside the CCZ in a private car, during charging hours. Practically none of it is residential and the streets are so clogged up you would have to be fairly masochistic (not that we aren't) to go there. Big story would be if they choose to extend the zone....

I'd be shocked if it didn't make it out to the current LEZ in the next few years.

I really think if it was part of a package of measures that tackled the most obvious causes of low air quality people wouldn't have the grump about it. But whilst taxis buses and wood burners get ignored picking on the small number of older motors leaves the door wide open to accusations of money grabbing.

No different to speed cameras etc... if the dozens of people on phones whilst driving were at risk of being caught being done for a few miles over the limit would be seen as part and parcel of enforcing road laws, not just separate law that is easy to prosecute, I'm sure you could find the statistics for the number of KSI statistics for speeding vs phone usage then see if the number of points dolled out for the offences is the same.

I'd be shocked if it didn't make it out to the current LEZ in the next few years.

I really think if it was part of a package of measures that tackled the most obvious causes of low air quality people wouldn't have the grump about it. But whilst taxis buses and wood burners get ignored picking on the small number of older motors leaves the door wide open to accusations of money grabbing.

As I've said before, the reason the T-charge doesn't cover buses or taxis is because new laws can't be brought in quickly enough, so it has to use the same framework as the congestion charge. London will stop registering diesel taxis next year, they'll all have to be hybrid. At the same time, any new minicabs being licensed have to meet the ULEZ standards, even though it won't be brought in until the year after, same with bus routes that come up for retender.

As for extending it out to the LEZ boundary - I'd be amazed if TfL don't push for a mini-ULEZ around Heathrow being one of the conditions of any third runway. Any further though? For HGVs maybe, but for cars politics comes into play, and if you're a Mayor that's just made millions of people in Bromley or Havering or wherever have to buy a new car, good luck with getting re-elected...

Is it just me but why is it called a T charge ? What does the T stand for ? twat perhaps ?? I checked and my Porsche gets in and so does the 1999 Peugeot 806 which did surprise me. There again it is only Monday to Friday and there is no chance I would actually want to go to London anyway. The last time I went through the center of London was about a year ago on a Saturday morning and I was amazed how little traffic there was on the road at 9.30am.

London doesn't do weekend mornings. That's always the best time to drive there. By lunchtime everything's gridlocked and remains so until about 11pm long after every other city is deserted but weekend mornings are great.