T charge

lisbon_road

So now we have a new toxic charge for older cars in London.

No problem for me, I'd never take a car into London regardless of age.  But clearly the message reported elsewhere that a brand new Qashqai is worse than a 2009 Skoda and even a Euro 1 (probably) Golf hasn't got through, has it!

I've no problem with it personally, my only problem is if people think it is going to make any difference.

Any car built before 2006 is a 'dirty old banger' according to the media.

Just checked the moped ( 1999) and says its not subject to the T charge - the Almera (2004) and the C8 (2007 diesel non FAP) and according to the website non of them are subject to the new charge.

Not that I fancy taking any of them through central London, but there you go.

My 2005 Landcruiser is subject to excess charge, which is a bit of luck cos they can stick pissin london (and any other big city) where the sun doesn't shine, the only time i go near such places is when paid to in a lorry and i fuck off sharpish the very second my deed is done.

My pal has confirmed that his two-stroke Wartburg is fine. No charge! I very rarely go anywhere near the middle of London. Think the only time I've paid the Congestion Charge is when I was collecting a car from the very centre ones. It's a horrible place to drive, so I use public transport or just bloody walk. A good phone app (Citymapper, which someone recommended on here) makes life very easy on that score, even if it does leave you walking around, starting at your phone like a pleb.

I was discussing this the other night and we decided if you're going to be charged £20 + a day to go into the capital, you might as well buy a traction engine and smoke out Westminster properly. Mind you it would be MoT/tax exempt and so probably also exempt from the T charge... :?

I was discussing this the other night and we decided if you're going to be charged £20 + a day to go into the capital, you might as well buy a traction engine and smoke out Westminster properly. Mind you it would be MoT/tax exempt and so probably also exempt from the T charge... :?

I think just UW on the Moped of Doom would produce a satisfactory amount of smoke, personally...

I find it fascinating that these poisonous,dirty old killing machines suddenly become ok after 6pm and at weekends.

I go into Central London pretty much every week for either work or socially at weekends and it's quite rare to see any older cars within the Charging Zone , especially in the working day . I'd be very surprised if this has any measurable effect on air quality .

Jesus, this T Charge banding needs clarification.

To be fair, the MfL's press office were all over the place when we checked on its announcement and I only got clarity from the FBHVC who then checked and triple checked with TfL. 

According to the checker, my Amazon, SVX, 305 and Leon are exempt, but the Piazza. MGF and 960 aren't. 

I would have expected the Amazon and Leon to be fine, but everything else to have have paid. 

If there's ULEZ exemption for tax exempt classics, and the cut off for petrol and diesel is Euro 4, how the hell is a 1985 car (305) exempt from the T Charge while a 1986 car (Piazza) isn't. 

All of them have to pay the congestion charge, which is different from the T Charge and ULEZ. 

What irks me is this legislation doesn't properly deal with the biggest issue, that of commercial vehicles that (Pre-2006 or not).  

I walked past the British Museum the other day and many of the coaches were keeping their engines running over the entire lunch period.  The place stank.

What irks me is this legislation doesn't properly deal with the biggest issue, that of commercial vehicles that (Pre-2006 or not). 

Because this legislation does: The Road Traffic (Vehicle Emissions) (Fixed Penalty) (England) Regulations 2002

(Level 3 fine up to £1000.)

So the issue becomes enforcement. Report those idlers to TfL

EDIT DUE TO IDIOCY, 1755hrs:

Just checked.  All of my cars are exempt.  Which, in the case of two of them, is something of a surprise...

Just checked again, using (appropriately...) the right tool.  None of my cars are exempt.  Which, in the case of all of them, is not remotely surprising.

As you were.

Just checked my cars for the hell of it

1973 DS23 efi: no charge

M reg Volvo 940 est: understandably chargeable

W reg Peugeot of last resort (206) 1.4 pezzer: chargeable

02 reg Saab 9.3 ecowarrior flavour: no charge

comforting to know that we have options with two out of four safe for page three girls' lungs

even if it does leave you walking around, starting at your phone

Which I certainly would not do In London...

I'm sure I've seen these things with number plates on them

zSGdfXl.jpg

I know it's a few days old and may have been posted elsewhere on AS but this comparison makes interesting reading - especially the comments towards the end. Cars newer than Euro4 may be no less dirty than our 'old' pre 2006 cars...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/how_toxic_is_your_car_exhaust

Squirrel2