Eight Fifty, five tenners.

mk2_craig

I brought a Jersey registered Fiesta to Scotland when I lived in Edinburgh, insured it on the VIN rather than the registration mark, which the broker was happy to do pending successful MoT and subsequent issue of UK reg mark.

That is what the previous owner of my MX5 did when they bought it over here from Jersey. (Wish it could have retained the number here -  J21212).

Incidently - the condition of this car is not usual on the channel islands as a friend of mine who is from Jersey (or 'The Rock' as she calls it!) says that C.I cars often seem to be immaculate like my Mazda or really used and abused buckets that are kept going for as long as possible for as little as possible. Often with little in between! And also it doesn't usually matter how expensive/prestige (or not) the car was in the first place either. 

I reckon this was a pretty clean car prior to the last owner, a doctor who bought it for the sole purpose of removing unwanted building materials from the house he was refurbishing. So it probably acquired most of its cosmetic defects in 12 months flat.

I think there's some service history in the glovebox and have this suspicion that the 67k on the clock isn't that far off the actual value. Its almost worth tracking down a better interior to replace the original which is frankly trashed.

• 3 months later...

Roight, are any of you lot crazy enough to nip over here for this? First person who can meet me in St Helier with fifty pound notes will be given the key and an export certificate. For various reasons I've done bugger all with it other than swap ten quids worth of secondhand battery into it but rather than salvage parts for the AWD it would be preferable to see someone have a crack at giving it another lease of life. Bear in mind a trip over will be a few sheets then a bit more for ferry back!

To get this back to the mainland, you could also consider going through France. Like this:

post-3568-0-02377400-1519126456_thumb.jpg

(I just chose Birmingham as "somewhere in the UK")

The ferry to St. Malo is about £80 depending on when you travel, and Chunnel bookings can be had fairly cheaply if you book well in advance. Didn't someone get a crossing for £10 each way recently?

More miles, but ROAD TRIP!!

Jersey would seem to be the ideal location for an electric vehicle manufacturer to completely dominate the market. 40MPH limit and you can't travel more than a few dozen miles without being back where you started. Seems like the ideal place to operate.

No-doubt someone there will still say "but it takes too long to charge up, and what about the once-in-a-blue-moon that I drive on the continent/in England and do 150 miles in a day? What then????

I don't believe EV's are a complete replacement for Internal Combustion, but anyone who does journeys of less than 10 miles, or does less than 50 miles a day who insists that an EV cannot do what they need it to is just talking bollocks. Petrol engines on an island that size just seems stupid.

Roight, are any of you lot crazy enough to nip over here for this? First person who can meet me in St Helier with fifty pound notes will be given the key and an export certificate. For various reasons I've done bugger all with it other than swap ten quids worth of secondhand battery into it but rather than salvage parts for the AWD it would be preferable to see someone have a crack at giving it another lease of life. Bear in mind a trip over will be a few sheets then a bit more for ferry back!

*Furiously studies flight and ferry crossings*

Is there any DVS history with it at all? Is meggersdog just going to laugh if I take it to him?

Also, I was in Jersey last year and I'm sure I saw an NSL sign out in the sticks. Love it there. Want to take the SVX to the Pallot Museum but I think it'd get stuck down the lanes.

There's a coach firm based next door to the Pallot place so an SVX can't be much harder to maneuver down there. The NSL signs are a relatively recent thing, though I doubt claiming you thought it meant 60mph would be a valid defence to a speeding charge!

There's a coach firm based next door to the Pallot place so an SVX can't be much harder to maneuver down there. The NSL signs are a relatively recent thing, though I doubt claiming you thought it meant 60mph would be a valid defence to a speeding charge!

What speed do they mean, then? Trying to remember where I was when I saw them. 

I should probably throw my pics up from there. Pallot Snr had a diesel Fleetwood for family trips to France and there was a 505 GRD estate hidden away in a poly tunnel I don't think I was meant to see. 

There was a rather cool S15 Silvia at the tuning place across the road too - and he didn't seem like he had any shortage of work. 

Jersey NSL is 2/3 UK single carriageway NSL.

Guernsey NSL is 7/8 Jersey NSL, no, me either.

I've seen that 505 estate a few times over the years. DO WANT

40mph

35mph

OK - flights and ferry booked........... I have some of ye olde english poundes from previous UK trip so the price is right!

March 19th mess planned - my birthday, who doesn't want a knackered ex-doc flying wagon of doom for a birthday gift, even if you have to buy it your bloody self!

GF hasn't seen the CF recovery or other knackered motor I'm arranging to have in my mitts - but is suitably unimpressed............

See you soon Craig

Edit -- actually GF asked what I wanted for my birthday.......... I may drop the bomb. See how that! goes