Secret Shitters

UltraWomble

attachicon.gifdownload.jpg

Ginger Baker drove one of these when we was with Graham Bond. He lamented outher band mates inability to come to terms with the pre-selector gearbox though.

Sounds like he would be a regular on the grump thread if he was on here.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2013/may/15/ginger-baker-beware-mr-baker-interview

The little known reason for HRH preferring Vauxhall estates was that during her time as amechanic in the Auxiliary Territorial Service in the War, she learned to weld and liked to practice whenever possible.attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

After doing the Viceroy's front turrets in about 1987 the advances in rust prevention meant she resigned herself to putting patches on the odd Rangie or Defender in moments of stress.

Luckily Jaguar came to the rescue ....

I think she had a Carlton Estate in the late 1980s as well. I think I recall Auto Express (?) doing an article on it.

This is the actual Fiat Doblo owned and driven by diminutive white funkster JayKay.

Saw a recent ( post Evans) TopGear on Dave , yesterday where he says he uses it for running around because it's easy for the dog to get in and out.

image.jpeg

Although I have a client who is a neighbour of his and whenever I've seen him ! he's always been driving the expected stereotype Lambo,Ferrari or G Wagen.

A little crap van would be essential if the rest of the fleet was made up of priceless exotica

Sounds like he would be a regular on the grump thread if he was on here.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2013/may/15/ginger-baker-beware-mr-baker-interview

Not a great surprise that a bloke hopelessly addicted to class A drugs for the last 50 years is less than scintillating company.

Baker crossing Africa in an early Range-Rover and finding ways to break it that the factory never dreamt of might be of interest here and is detailed in his autobiography which, for me, was much more entertaining than his assault on the skins.

• 1 year later...

My Facebook feed informed me that singer/songwriter and all round nice guy Richard Digance is playing at the local folk club to me next month. I always thought he was a bit brilliant... and this article confirmed it.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/eighties-entertainer-richard-digance-avoids-disqualification-due-to-exceptional-hardship-after-speeding-on-orwell-bridge-1-5178063

DIGANCE. DUSTER DRIVER. (AND WINNER)

Didn't Churchie have a coach built VDP 3 litre 2 door?

There has been talk of such a thing but never found any evidence other than anecdotal tales of it being destroyed on the oval.   Probably somebody shifted a b post and made up a wider pair of doors to wind up the car clubs.     

attachicon.gifdownload (1).jpg  

His standard Oxford was widely documented, however....

The two door 3 litre Princess was built at the factory in 1962 for Lord Kenilworth. Supposedly it was stolen sometime in the early nineties and raced at the 1993(?) Firecracker at Arena Essex. The driver, one of the Millen brothers, claimed he'd just bought the stripped shell from some gypsies.

Guest Gigagator

Jimmy Carr used to drive a Rover 75!

Here's an interview with Top Gear magazine from 2014:

"What were you driving back then?

A Rover 75, or as I like to refer to it, a mock-Tudor Jag. From a distance, with a squint, in a fog, you could think ‘oh, that guy’s got a Jag’. The car survived longer than the company, and my friend still has it - I gave it away. It sounds opulent that I gave a car to a friend, but actually, it was scrap."

Quite frankly I can't think of anyone that would look better in a 75.

Boris Johnson drives a mid 90s Previa to haul all his illegitimate kids around in. There’s also a white AX that belongs to him or his soon-to-be ex-wife.

Harriet Harman had an H reg Rover 820 in about 2010.

I don’t think Corbyn owns the Astra, he went everywhere by bike before he was elected leader, but Ed Miliband had a fantastically shagged V plate Focus when he had that gig, remember the Mail taking the piss. I think it was in that light metallic green loads of early ones came in.

Norma Major famously turned up to a G7 summit in the early Nineties in an early Montego. Might have been a brown one for added shite points.

Basically loads of politicians are secret shiters.

• 1 month later...

Boris Johnson is the obvious choice here. He drives a Y reg Focus and a battered, M reg Toyota Previa.

Although I liked the post 18 months ago, I completely forgotten that he had a Previa. Just saw some footage of him driving away from somewhere (Chequers?) in it.

Some wealthy people have no desire to tell the hoi polloi what their net worth is. And credit to them.

Theresa May and her P5B Coupe which she rags round Parliament Square every evening on a nostalgia kick for the Wilson/Heath/Thatcher era when people did what they were bloody well told.

A little known fact is that she smokes a pipe at the wheel to complete her 'I'm a proper Prime Minister' fantasy.  

post-17609-0-90409100-1553641151_thumb.jpg

Theresa May and her P5B Coupe which she rags round Parliament Square every evening on a nostalgia kick for the Wilson/Heath/Thatcher era when people did what they were bloody well told.

A little know fact is that she smokes a pipe at the wheel to complete her 'I'm a proper Prime Minister' fantasy.

Little does she know, but Margaret Thatcher did not die, she was cryogenically preserved ready to be reanimated, she is kept in the underground storage facility along with the remaining steam trains, mechanical telephone exchanges, Series 1 Land Rovers and diesel P5s