Absolute horse shit™ The official thread of Railton Heavy Industries Limited and it's subsidiaries.

Heidel_Kakao

These things are ace.  I seem to recall one of those scrapyard challenge type programmes had one of these on years ago, I've always loved them since then.

What were they originally designed for?  Was it river crossings for infantry or what?

Edit - whilst reading wiki to answer my own question i found that two of them were sent out to RAF Gan in the Maldives.  They "served with RAF from January 1967 to March 1976, when they were returned to the army. They were based at RAF Gan as Reef Rescue and manned by the RAF Fire fighters."

My father in law served there in the early 70s, will have to ask him if he remembers them.  It's unlikely though as he seems to have treated the RAF as a kind of agency to allow overseas travel and boozing.

1 hour ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

They get a cool attraction that can be used in Mil Sim games and I get a forest to off road in,

That will have an "interesting" alternative to the factory paint after a while then...

I've known a few people with Stollys, they're a natural progression from driving Land-Rover 101s and IIB FC models.  Don't forget to learn how to bounce these off a mini-roundabout every few miles, as otherwise the transmission winds itself up and self-destructs.  They're designed with an insufficient number of differentials in the drivetrain for regular road use, so you have to get inventive with ways to prevent them from self-destructing.

Good luck.  I think you're going to need it.

Isn't having the waterjets sitting in the loadbed a liability from a watertight integrity standpoint?

2 hours ago, Talbot said:

That will have an "interesting" alternative to the factory paint after a while then...

I've known a few people with Stollys, they're a natural progression from driving Land-Rover 101s and IIB FC models.  Don't forget to learn how to bounce these off a mini-roundabout every few miles, as otherwise the transmission winds itself up and self-destructs.  They're designed with an insufficient number of differentials in the drivetrain for regular road use, so you have to get inventive with ways to prevent them from self-destructing.

Good luck.  I think you're going to need it.

Just don't drive on tarmac; they really need freewheel hubs.

And I thought you were mad for buying the Roadrunner... That is just gloriously insane and over the top and I have no words.

Reminds me of a Stalwart that was a local landmark, sitting on the verge outside a house on the main road between Buckingham and Milton Keynes for years and never moving. It's long gone though and the guy now appears to be breeding Land Rovers.

8 hours ago, barefoot said:

Have you gone fucking crackers?

I hope this is a joke comment. I do happen to suffer from adverse mental health specifically Bi-Polar disorder and my mother was once committed to a mental hospital, so I don't generally appreciate comments making fun of someone's mental state.

10 minutes ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

I hope this is a joke comment. I do happen to suffer from adverse mental health specifically Bi-Polar disorder and my mother was once committed to a mental hospital, so I don't generally appreciate comments making fun of someone's mental state.

Oh lord.

I don't think they were actually depicting your mental health or state. Mear stating that this is out of the norm ? ... and for here atleast is a bit unconventional / slightly 'different' mode of transport.

We really need to invent a * Don't take this literally * mode for the Internet 

1 hour ago, Minimad5 said:

Oh lord.

I don't think they were actually depicting your mental health or state. Mear stating that this is out of the norm ? ... and for here atleast is a bit unconventional / slightly 'different' mode of transport.

We really need to invent a * Don't take this literally * mode for the Internet 

How do you know their intent? Is mind reading one of your special abilities?

38 minutes ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

How do you know their intent? Is mind reading one of your special abilities?

Wow 🤔

If you read the way in which it is said, it's more from a shock factor of - Holy fuck wasn't expecting this.

Rather than - You're mentally not complete for this purchase. Because if you look elsewhere in this weird yet wonderful forum, you'll read folk sharing stories of mental, physical and other problems and disabilities- Why do I mention this ? ... well you don't share such personal information and experiences with folk who will take the piss out of such factors or things.

But read it as you will, as obviously you've already made your mind up how you want it to come across 🤷‍♂️

16 minutes ago, Minimad5 said:

I'm not sure you've understood what I was trying to say.

Are you okay ?

Do feel free to P.M me, as really no one here is judging you, we're just shocked (in a good way.... unless we get the fuel bill)

I will PM you later dude. Water under the bridge.